Deverell Biggs dismissed from the team

We'll miss some of his scoring punch, his ability to (sometimes) break his defender down off the dribble and get to the rim.  And, this year, losing him will matter.  This year.

But he was a cancer in the locker room and I'm glad he gave Miles enough grief to finally cut him loose.  Because NEXT YEAR we don't need him.  His upside will be less of a benefit than his downside will be a detraction.  We have time now to find a replacement in the juco recruiting ranks and maybe we get this kid from Texas by way of a North Dakota juco.  (Maybe Miles' name carries enough weight in the Dakotas that his juco coach will put a favorable bug in this Dickerson kid's ear.)

But I don't think we could have put up with another season of Deverell's antics and I don't think there's much likelihood he would have grown up between now and then.

The bad news, as I see it, is that if you took the overs on how long Deverell would last here ... you lost.

Listen to the last 3 minutes of this:

http://stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/?d=AM&cid=981#

Must listen

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Jan_28_Seg_3_On_Avery_Moss-1390917564.mp3

According to Biggs via Benning, it was an "Eichorst issue"

Biggs is going to try and finish up his degree.  If he can, Miles is going to help him get into a school somewhere (I assume Div 1)

Edited by hhcdimes
A little cavalier about summarizing the podcast on my part

Listen to the last 3 minutes of this:

http://stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/?d=AM&cid=981#

Must listen

http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/kozn/media/mp3/Jan_28_Seg_3_On_Avery_Moss-1390917564.mp3

For better or for worse, it was Eichorst who made the decision.

Interesting stuff, indeed!

Interesting. So in the audio clip, Biggs told Benning last night he thought Coach Miles had been fair all along and that the ultimate decision to dismiss him came from the AD office.

So is it more likely that the decision to dismiss him is originally related to the DUI from over a year ago, in that perhaps he was put on a short leash by the AD's office at that point, that another transgression would cause dismissal, and the ticket for driving without a license (or whatever it was) was the last straw? (Somewhat similar to the Moss situation from football, where the first offense caused a short leash and revisiting the dorms was the last straw?)

I just cannot see a situation where missing a film session alone would cause the AD to get involved, makes no sense.

Will be interesting to see what Coach Miles has to say today. If the AD is stepping in and dismissing players over team rule violations, that's a problem and he's overstepping his bounds. However if it's something related to the DUI and then the driver's license violation - i.e., legal matters - that makes more sense.

Adding to the "nothing happens in a vacuum" files, one might also consider the current situation down at Missouri:

http://deadspin.com/police-will-investigate-alleged-rape-of-missouri-swimme-1509933357

They are looking at some potentially serious consequences down there.  I'm sure Eichorst is aware and is feeling the need to run as clean a shop as possible.

I personnally believe that the DUI was the key.  I am betting that when he worked his way back, the agreement was that he was going to stay on the straight and narrow.  He was then picked up in the early morning hours after the OSU game for running a stop sign (allegedly) and doing so on a suspended license (allegedly)...that can be considered a breach in any straight and narrow discussion.  Now add to that missed film sessions.  Add to that a somewhat one-on-one attitude on the floor.  Plus...could there have been team chemistry issues???

Perhaps the decision was made at the AD or President level, perhaps it was made by Coach Miles or the staff.  I can tell you that Coach Miles likely did a very good job communicating with Deverell.  But it looks to me that Mr. Biggs had a lot of chances.  As mentioned earlier, it is to bad, so sad.  The kid has a future playing the game.  I am also pretty sure that Coach Miles and his staff will assist Deverell if he asks for the help.  The coaching fraternity is pretty tight, so he likely will get an opportunity some where.

Official Tim Miles statement

“I’ve made the very difficult decision that Deverell Biggs will no longer be a part of our basketball program. We have consistently emphasized accountability for our student-athletes on the court, off the court and in the classroom. Individual accountability affects the entire group. As a basketball program, we are moving forward and perhaps a fresh start for Deverell may be beneficial to him as well.

Deverell will still have access to all of our academic resources to maintain his eligibility and progress toward graduation.  Deverell is good young man.  My hope is that he remains at Nebraska and finishes his classes this spring and finds another program where he can flourish.  We wish him all the best.”

Official Tim Miles statement

“I’ve made the very difficult decision that Deverell Biggs will no longer be a part of our basketball program. We have consistently emphasized accountability for our student-athletes on the court, off the court and in the classroom. Individual accountability affects the entire group. As a basketball program, we are moving forward and perhaps a fresh start for Deverell may be beneficial to him as well.

Deverell will still have access to all of our academic resources to maintain his eligibility and progress toward graduation.  Deverell is good young man.  My hope is that he remains at Nebraska and finishes his classes this spring and finds another program where he can flourish.  We wish him all the best.”

Very reasonable statement. 

I hate to speculate on exactly what the final straw was. It's not really fair to Biggs or anyone else. I hope he can finish his degree and get one last shot to finish his career on a high note.

It would be big for us, and Deverell, if he does graduate.

We need to toe the APR line right now, and Dev needs to be able to transfer to another DI school so he can play hoops again.

Dev doesn't NEED to play hoops again, Dev needs to focus on school and appreciate the opportunities given to him.  Dev needs to go to class, assume responsibility for himself, and earn a degree in something he cares about. 

Dev needs focus on school, thats what will help him in life, basketball is just a game.

First off, WTH is the AD doing getting involved with an inner team matter? Biggs had a legitimate reason for missing that film session he just didn't communicate it with Miles. Miles said he understood and that he needs to work on his communication. His punishment was a suspension from the Minn game. The AD steps in and kicks him off the team!?! Missing the film session was not an off the court issue and the AD had no business getting involved.