Basketball or Football?

jimmykc

This is the time of year I enjoy most, when the sky is the limit for our favorite teams-sort of like the last week of Spring training. Since I characterize myself as a realistic sunshine pumper, I imagine we'll be presented with the highs and lows of mediocrity by the end of both seasons, but while we are still gruntled, which of the teams will make us happier this year? My own satisfaction would be achieved if either team plays in the conference title game. At this point, I expect the basketball team to disappoint me less, or please me more to be more positive. I remember trying to set up one of those poll dealies earlier in the year and found it too exhausting so just tally your own votes after people check in.

This is the time of year I enjoy most, when the sky is the limit for our favorite teams-sort of like the last week of Spring training. Since I characterize myself as a realistic sunshine pumper, I imagine we'll be presented with the highs and lows of mediocrity by the end of both seasons, but while we are still gruntled, which of the teams will make us happier this year. My own satisfaction would be achieved if either team plays in the conference title game. At this point, I expect the basketball team to disappoint me less, or please me more to be more positive. I remember trying to set up one of those poll dealies earlier in the year and found it too exhausting so just tally your own votes after people check in.

I'm expecting basketball to finish near the bottom of the league again so in my mind they really don't have anywhere to go but up.  So I will say basketball has the best chance to make me happy. 

Anyone who can use 'gruntled' correctly earns a resounding up-arrow imho! thumbsup.gif (come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen it used as a stand-alone before; but I'm not surprised - Jimmy's always on the ball  :)).

Now back to the OP (original premise) I think we are going to be equally surprised (in a good way) with both Football and Basketball Teams.  Only, I suspect Football may be a little more 'equal' than Basketball. 

Football-wise I expect the Huskers to finally break the 9-4 ceiling and contend for the West Division Title;  possibly winning the Conference Championship. 

Basketball-wise, I think we will end up somewhere in the top half of the B1G, despite early predictions; possibly with a NIT berth.  Making the Dance seems unrealistic, at least without some of that 'Magic in a Bottle' that Miles has proven he can  muster.  koolaid2.gif

I'm pretty optimistic about both, honestly.  

I don't think the football team will get embarrassed by anyone, and I'm excited to see basic fundamentals being taught and a coach we can be proud to be associated with from a character standpoint.  I think the rest will take care of itself.  Parents want their kids to play for a guy like Riley.  He'll get some solid recruits.  I don't have any real expectations for how that translates to W-L this year, but I'm excited this guy is going to be building our program.  

Similarly, I think the basketball team will be middle of the pack in the B1G, and a good squad.  Overall, we're more talented than last year simply because of depth, in my opinion.  Point guard play should be dramatically improved, and we can match up to just about anyone.  I think AWIII will become a legitimate 3 and D player as the year progresses and he loosens up.  If we can have any semblance of a 3pt threat, we'll compete pretty well, but that's a big if based on what we've seen so far.  Here's another bold thing to say:  I think Morrow's presence will be more positively impactful than Petteway's was last year (and I love TP).  In fact, none of the freshman strike me as "polarizing" players.  All of them bring a positive energy with them, which is awesome.  

I want all four of "my teams" to play well.  Outcomes can be determined by a bad bounce or a difficult call, but as long as they play hard, smart and competitively then I am typically a happy camper. 

- Cubs baseball.  They have exceeded my expectations so far this year.  That said, now that they are playing this well, my expectations have increased even more...notwithstanding the stupid SI cover with probable jinx

- Husker football.  We have the talent to win the west and we should win 10 games.  I believe that is realistic for this year.  I am optimistic but very quitely so.

- Husker baseball.  They were a miss this past season.  Lot of reasons why, but I do believe they will improve exponentially this coming season.

- Husker basketball.  I think we will surprise people this year.  Last year it was a negative surprise, this coming season we will be better than people expect.  As the season plays out, I predict we get better and better.

It really depends on your own individual expectations.  I would assume on the outside the football team will have a better season (record wise) because they always play in a very, very bad football conference (Big 10 West, before that Big 12 North) While the basketball team will again play in a very very tough basketball conference. I really don't like to compare the two for that reason alone. I think the expectations will drop a little for basketball as they were so high last year and we fell far short of what we hoped so I hope they surprise this year.  For football, same old, same old.

The Football team SHOULD win the West, but I think that every year and then we lose to Minnesota (twice!). The Cagers I think will be surprisingly good and have a chance, a chance mind you to sneak into the top half of the League, Right or wrong I've always been more of a hoops fan anyway..... GBR!

West should be won, but likely won't be as several hurdles remain. Bowl game experience with renewed hope for the future of the program.

Hoopsters will finish near .500 (+/-) for the season.  Hopefully post-season tourney.

Disappointment is in the eye of the beholder. Expectations often unmet for the disgruntled.

Football- i think (though i say this most years) will be a big year, even with our lost players to injury, offense is very(sorta quietly i might add) talented, with multiple RB's to avoid any one of them wearing down, and Tommy should be even better than he was, i had my concerns about his passing, but that USC game showed when the cards need dealing he can do just fine. i have zero concerns on Defense, shall be interesting how they use Givens-Price, word is that he is already getting reps with #2 so that's another weapon to add to an already deep front 4, linebackers sound to be a collection of solid athletes, that wont get swallowed up in the run game which is new, and nice. All in all i expect a great season.

Basketball- limited expectations, just want them to continue to compete in the best basketball confidence in america. Morrow looks as advertised, which should scare the Big ten as he as never been in a weight program, and could still get an inch or two...YIKES. Tai looks more aggressive, and i think Shavon will have a better 3pt game. McVeigh has the sounds of a potential steal. 

I will go with basketball will make us happier as a low finish in conference is predicted and my gut says once the young guys figure the speed of the game out, they will surprise.  Football on the other hand has higher expectations.  I would love to see Riley win them all, guessing we end up with 7 or 8 wins which will make some restless about him.

Please be less wishy washy, I am having trouble keeping score. And thank you for your kind comments, pilgrims, i am feeling doubly gruntled now.

"doubly gruntled"

Sounds like something you'd read about in a Dr. Seuss book.

I always thought the gruntle was that part of the anatomy that sits between the ...

Oh, nevermind.

As far as I can interpret, the vote came out 6 to 1 in favor of basketball. I'm betting the results would have been different on a football board, illustrating the fact that poll results must be considered in regards to who is asked, and how the question is framed. And a gruntle may refer to a pig's snout. (Dana Altman probably already knew that)