I've never been one to go out on a limb and make bold statements about the team, BUT ...

One concern of mine is who will be the team leaders? While I think our upperclassmen are high quality in terms of character, I'm not sure how much of a verbal leadership presence they bring to the table. Maybe that matters..maybe it doesn't.

Vocal leader? Not necessarily. But there certainly needs to be a perceived leader in the group - that's just human psychology. Without that, we're just lost and without motivation.

Shields and Parker are probably the ones the freshman are looking up to just in terms of seniority. I wouldn't be surprised if White comes into some sort of leadership role with his "higher profile school" background.

One concern of mine is who will be the team leaders? While I think our upperclassmen are high quality in terms of character, I'm not sure how much of a verbal leadership presence they bring to the table. Maybe that matters..maybe it doesn't.

Vocal leader? Not necessarily. But there certainly needs to be a perceived leader in the group - that's just human psychology. Without that, we're just lost and without motivation.

Shields and Parker are probably the ones the freshman are looking up to just in terms of seniority. I wouldn't be surprised if White comes into some sort of leadership role with his "higher profile school" background.

Yet to be seen, but this seems like a pretty good assessment.  Robin Washut is pretty high on Parker

I just love Benny Parker, he's really stepped up as a leader on this team. He controls things on the court like you would hope a senior point guard would, and he has a confidence about him now that I haven't seen from him before.

as well as Shields & White, as upperclassmen and their successes during the season.

I wouldn't count out Any of the newcomers from stepping up to the plate and becoming leaders as the team coalesces.  :ph34r:

Permit me to add that, from my observations of the two games in Spain so far, and just going by actions and demeanor -- y'know, just stuff I've seen -- it looks to me like Tai Webster has become one of the leaders.  I'm talking about observed interaction with teammates rather than the fact he's taken more of an active role in the offense, although that might be a part of it as well.

I think Tai Webster ,given his transformation while he has been at NU. If any player maybe besides Parker can tell new players how to come in and find a role and play for the team, its him. Dude has been through it, and come out the proverbial other side. 

I'd be most happy to see Tai Webster 'Blossom' this year!  There is a long list of candidates  :)  and I'm sure some surprises along the way regarding emerging leaders.

I believe Pitchford and Smith mutually parted ways. Walt had very little dedication to basketball last year and was much more interested in drinking at the bars from the accounts I've heard. When he played poorly, it obviously raised questions, and Petteway was furious. That was a huge part of the chemistry problem last year.

Smith was a general pain in the ass, and his father was worse. Mr. Smith would call Miles and recite stats supporting his belief that his son should be starting over Parker. Then Miles would have to come back with stats to refute him. Later, word got back to Miles that Mr. Smith was shopping his son around to other schools. It became a tiring soap opera for the staff.

This is an excellent synopsis of how last year's team went south IMO. This is right in line with accounts that I have heard as well. I expect our chemistry will be on the upswing at the very least.
While Petteway would be pissed regardless if we're losing, his struggles with his mother probably exacerbated the situation.

The subtraction of Smith and Pitchford definitely will go a long way towards our team chemistry though who knows what this year brings.

Excellent point. Shavon, Benny, Tai, and AWIII will have to lead in their own way. Really it's going to have to be Shavon first and foremost. It should be an interesting variable to keep an eye on. We'll likely be able to tell pretty early on if the team has a leadership problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk