I've never been one to go out on a limb and make bold statements about the team, BUT ...

OK, maybe I have been known to do that from time to time.

But I'd like a little help from the institutional knowledge of the collective brain trust of this board. 

If Casvi was named "Athletes in Action" and if Albacete was called "The Ukrainian National Team" or "UNK" or whomever ...

And, if this was back in the day when we were able to play 2 exhibition games per pre-season against D2 or travelling club teams ...

... we might have seen teams the quality of these two teams taking on our Huskers in Devaney.

Or maybe not quite as good as these two teams.

And, I'll tell ya what, while we typically fared pretty well in exhibition games over the years, we often looked horrible against bad teams.  And sometimes we lost.

I specifically recall watching John Turek as a true freshman swatting away a last-second shot attempt by a UNK player that, if it had gone in, would have hung an exhibition loss on us, compliments of a D2 team.  Final score was something like 61-60.

I'm saying this squad is playing better in August -- with far fewer practices under their belts -- than quite a few of the teams we fielded earlier this century were playing in November exhibition games with the regular season just days away.

That UNK game stands out as just one of them.  Can anyone suggest any others?

These guys haven't looked perfect, but neither have they looked awful. 

They look like they know what the hell they're doing, are decently talented and athletic, and look to me like they could go out and hang a 20 point win on the Blue Hose from Presbyterian College right frickin' now.

I wish our last exhibition game in this Spain tour was against Universidad de Incarnate Word. 

We'd kick their ass.

Ryan Anderson hit a last-second heaving 3 pointer to beat UNK, right? I have not watched any of the Spain games, but have heard the competition is comparable to NAIA schools from a couple of people who have.

They look closer to low to middle of the pack Missouri Valley teams to me in terms of quality.

Ryan Anderson hit a last-second heaving 3 pointer to beat UNK, right? I have not watched any of the Spain games, but have heard the competition is comparable to NAIA schools from a couple of people who have.

They look closer to low to middle of the pack Missouri Valley teams to me in terms of quality.

Ya NAIA teams is definitely pushing it.  Middle of the pack Missouri Valley times is much more accurate.  These are still pro teams so they are definitely talented, but lack the athleticism that American's have

I asked Pablo what he thought about this and here is his feedback from Valencia. He thought the division four teams were probably most compatible with NAIA type teams. He also said that they were not professionals and that some were students and some were working. The teams also have some American players. However in the next sentence he said the players do get paid and can have agents, so the concept of professional may be a bit different in Spain. Most make 300-400 Euros but the range can be 100-1000 Euros. So that is one person's take on the teams we are playing. But remember, Pablo did play for Pius his senior year and has seen teams like Nebraska Weslyan, UNO and NU play so he is probably a pretty good judge of talent levels.

I think Norm's post is a great reminder of where this program has come from. Amongst all the complaining about different players it's easy to forget that the talent level we have on the floor now is night and day different than just a short 4 to 5 years ago.

I'd say even more recently than that. The recruits we're bringing in now are head and shoulders above guys like Vucetic, Hawkins and Fuller, and even Webster. The staff has stepped it up big-time starting with the last class, and Roby is a continuation of that same caliber of player. Obviously, we know we've been unsuccessful in landing quality big men thus far, but the overall quality of the players entering the program now is pretty remarkable.

I still see 2015-2016 as a rebuilding/developmental year with very little chance at an NCAA bid at season's end, but I look at the 2016-2017 team as a group that could do a lot of damage, especially if we can solidify the front court through recruiting between now and next year. It's an exciting time to be a Husker hoops fan for sure.

I think Norm's post is a great reminder of where this program has come from. Amongst all the complaining about different players it's easy to forget that the talent level we have on the floor now is night and day different than just a short 4 to 5 years ago.

I'd say even more recently than that. The recruits we're bringing in now are head and shoulders above guys like Vucetic, Hawkins and Fuller, and even Webster. The staff has stepped it up big-time starting with the last class, and Roby is a continuation of that same caliber of player. Obviously, we know we've been unsuccessful in landing quality big men thus far, but the overall quality of the players entering the program now is pretty remarkable.

I still see 2015-2016 as a rebuilding/developmental year with very little chance at an NCAA bid at season's end, but I look at the 2016-2017 team as a group that could do a lot of damage, especially if we can solidify the front court through recruiting between now and next year. It's an exciting time to be a Husker hoops fan for sure.

Yes, there will be some teeth-gnashing and hand wringing this year from those who don't get the patience part of your scenario ("but we're in year 4 and blah blah/whine whine").  I can hear it now.  Prepare for it.  But we need to stay the course; I agree with your take.

Totally agree as if people can't see the talent level has risen dramatically, then they don't know basketball.  Miles has taken us to the NCAA tournament 33% of the time he has been our head coach.  How many other NU basketball coaches can say that.  I'm not planning on an NCAA bid this year but wouldn't entirely rule it out either.  Even an NIT bid would be a step forward with this group.  You can see how things are setting up for the next couple of years.  Maybe I'm drinking to much Kool-Aide but I can see us stringing together a streak of NCAA bids in the near future and our first NCAA win is just right around the corner.

Yes, there will be some teeth-gnashing and hand wringing this year from those who don't get the patience part of your scenario ("but we're in year 4 and blah blah/whine whine").  I can hear it now.  Prepare for it.  But we need to stay the course; I agree with your take.

One caveat is in how many kids transfer out of the program next spring...spring after that...etc.  We do need to stop the bleeding there some.

One caveat is in how many kids transfer out of the program next spring...spring after that...etc.  We do need to stop the bleeding there some.

Well, I'm not sure how much bleeding you'd really say we've had.

Petteway went pro; Walt was a beotch and quit; Tarin Smith saw the writing on the wall with Glynn Watson and took a step down in competition level.  That was last year.

Year before that, Deverell Biggs got waxed because he needed to go and Nathan Hawkins took a step down in competition level to "get closer to home."  Vooch was, well, not going to make it here.

Miles didn't run off Benny.  He didn't run off Nick Fuller.  He didn't run off Jacob Hammond.  Guys have left, but sometimes guys do that.  I don't get the sense that Miles has pushed people out the way Collier did, or even Doc for that matter.

I believe Pitchford and Smith mutually parted ways. Walt had very little dedication to basketball last year and was much more interested in drinking at the bars from the accounts I've heard. When he played poorly, it obviously raised questions, and Petteway was furious. That was a huge part of the chemistry problem last year. 

Smith was a general pain in the ass, and his father was worse. Mr. Smith would call Miles and recite stats supporting his belief that his son should be starting over Parker. Then Miles would have to come back with stats to refute him. Later, word got back to Miles that Mr. Smith was shopping his son around to other schools. It became a tiring soap opera for the staff. 

Yes, there will be some teeth-gnashing and hand wringing this year from those who don't get the patience part of your scenario ("but we're in year 4 and blah blah/whine whine"). I can hear it now. Prepare for it. But we need to stay the course; I agree with your take.

One caveat is in how many kids transfer out of the program next spring...spring after that...etc. We do need to stop the bleeding there some.

Petteway went pro; Walt was a beotch and quit; Tarin Smith saw the writing on the wall with Glynn Watson and took a step down in competition level. That was last year.

Year before that, Deverell Biggs got waxed because he needed to go and Nathan Hawkins took a step down in competition level to "get closer to home." Vooch was, well, not going to make it here.

Miles didn't run off Benny. He didn't run off Nick Fuller. He didn't run off Jacob Hammond. Guys have left, but sometimes guys do that. I don't get the sense that Miles has pushed people out the way Collier did, or even Doc for that matter.

I agree with this, Norm. Yes, there's been attrition, but I don't really see how anyone can honestly say we'd be better off right now had Vooch stayed, or had Biggs been kept around, or if Hawkins stayed, or if Pitch would've tagged along again, or if the Tarin Smith soap opera continued...it might've put us behind in numbers and left us with one opening each season, but it also cleared the way for the freshman class we get this season. Now, if at any time one or more of this new crop of obvious talent upgrade decides to bail, then we can have this discussion again.

If Pitchford could have kept his head on straight last year and been about the team, I have no question that he could have been an asset to both last year's team and this one, but he couldn't do that. We played better last year when he wasn't on the court, there's too much talent in that kid for that to have been the case.

I believe Pitchford and Smith mutually parted ways. Walt had very little dedication to basketball last year and was much more interested in drinking at the bars from the accounts I've heard. When he played poorly, it obviously raised questions, and Petteway was furious. That was a huge part of the chemistry problem last year.

Smith was a general pain in the ass, and his father was worse. Mr. Smith would call Miles and recite stats supporting his belief that his son should be starting over Parker. Then Miles would have to come back with stats to refute him. Later, word got back to Miles that Mr. Smith was shopping his son around to other schools. It became a tiring soap opera for the staff.

This is an excellent synopsis of how last year's team went south IMO. This is right in line with accounts that I have heard as well. I expect our chemistry will be on the upswing at the very least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure you spelled Taylor Martinez's name correctly? ;)

(P.S. great insight. If true, that sure explains a lot.)

Petteway went pro; Walt was a beotch and quit; Tarin Smith saw the writing on the wall with Glynn Watson and took a step down in competition level.  That was last year.

Year before that, Deverell Biggs got waxed because he needed to go and Nathan Hawkins took a step down in competition level to "get closer to home."  Vooch was, well, not going to make it here.

Miles didn't run off Benny.  He didn't run off Nick Fuller.  He didn't run off Jacob Hammond.  Guys have left, but sometimes guys do that.  I don't get the sense that Miles has pushed people out the way Collier did, or even Doc for that matter.

In the end, I am note sure it really matter whether Miles ran them off or not or whether they turned pro or turned in into a disco diva.  The fact is that attrition is at an all-time high at many schools, including Nebraska (for all different kinds of reasons).  This is Miles' fourth year, and there is no indication that Miles has been immune from this extreme attrition rate OR that he will become immune in the future. Thus, IMO it is an issue that must be considered in rating the state of the program in any particular year.

If 40% of D1 players transfer on average today, odds almost demand that not every one of our 5 freshman will stay here all 5 years.  In fact, odds would indicate at least 2 of them will transfer.  If one of those 2 is either Watson or Morrow, then that sets things back once again and the cycle starts all over.  

I am not trying to be debbie downer or indict Miles on this.  However, i just feel the alarming transfer rates of young players almost require a new perspective, a new paradigm, on how we evaluate a team and a program.  20 years ago, if a team had 5 solid freshman or sophomores (barring 5 NBA players like the Michigan fab 5), you could certainly find the reason for optimism knowing that even if the team struggled in its first year or 2, they would continue to develop and mature and in years 3 and 4 things would likely come together and produce very good results.  I am not sure we can still think like that in today's collegiate athletics environment.  Not only are there no guarantees, there actually is a very strong likelihood (based on national statistics) that 40% of the current players will not play in years 3 and 4, and if Miles scores and signs an elite recruit, that player will probably only be here 1 or 2 years and go pro.

I hope upon hope that all our situation will be different.  That all these guys will stay.  But it isn't realistic.  And I am not sure we have soooo much talent that we can lose 40% and still become a top 4 team in the B1G next year, or the year after, etc.  And of course, this doesn't even factor in injuries to the guys that do stay.

In summary, I am thrilled with the increased talent level Miles has brought in this year and I really like Roby for next year.  If all these guys stay and don't get injured, I fully agree that they could potentially be that team we have all been waiting for all these years.  But if one-third to 40% of them leave, and then another player or two gets injured (even if just for 10 games in a season, etc), it makes things much less certain.  

I guess all that to say is that unfortunately, I have almost come to the point of evaluating each team on a year by year basis.  I want to look down the road and say "wow, in 3 years this team is going to be special".  But in the back of my mind I keeping that in 3 years we are going to be talking about what we could have been if so-and-so had just stayed for all 4 years.  This is why if I have one major disappointment, it is that Miles has failed to land even a serviceable big for this year.  If this team even had a Brandon Ubel type player, it could at least compete.  I fear we are going to get dominated inside, which is going to make us play junk defense, force us to overcompensate on the boards, etc, basically adapt our entire style of play to try and mitigate our weakness inside. Call me what you want, I would love to have Vucetic on our roster right now.  First, there is no way he could make us worse because we have an open scholarship so even if he never played a minute nothing is lost.  But think his height alone could have been enough to put under the hoop and disrupt the opponent for 10-20 minutes a game.  At least give us some presence (and I'm sorry, but I have not seen anything from Hammond (who is closer to 6'8 than 6'10) to make me think he is that guy.

Ok, with all that said, if Miles can land a decent big for next year, then things could really, really turn up for this program.  The transfer situation can, and should, work both ways.  Players transfer out, but there are also exponentially more players available to transfer in.  Miles needs to capitalize on this and get that big we so desperately need.

I want to look down the road and say "wow, in 3 years this team is going to be special".  But in the back of my mind I keeping that in 3 years we are going to be talking about what we could have been if so-and-so had just stayed for all 4 years. 

This distills my point more clearly.  It's not that our transfer numbers are alarming or particularly unique...but, IMO, in order for us to take that step forward (or, several steps if we're honest) I think we need to try and curtail that some in the next couple of years.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

This is an excellent synopsis of how last year's team went south IMO. This is right in line with accounts that I have heard as well. I expect our chemistry will be on the upswing at the very least.

While Petteway would be pissed regardless if we're losing, his struggles with his mother probably exacerbated the situation.

The subtraction of Smith and Pitchford definitely will go a long way towards our team chemistry though who knows what this year brings.

One concern of mine is who will be the team leaders? While I think our upperclassmen are high quality in terms of character, I'm not sure how much of a verbal leadership presence they bring to the table. Maybe that matters..maybe it doesn't.