Possible B1G Additions - KU and OU?

Lee B was at Big 12 media days last week & had a wrap-up in Sunday's OWH:

-Big 12 media folks in general think their league is doomed inside of a decade

-Behind the scenes the B1G has vetted Kansas & Oklahoma as potential future members

Obviously this is football driven, but throwing KU & OU hoops into what the B1G already has would be pretty crazy. 

Showing my age  ;) but for me there were/are no better two series in Nebraska athletics than NU-Oklahoma football and NU-Kansas hoops.  

Obviously it's a long shot & a lot of things would have to happen over the next several years, but If this actually came true down the road, I'd be very much in favor. And if they keep the Shorthorns out of the equation, all the better.

I would like to see this but would think it fits into the category of someone's "wishful thinking". Judging from the desire of our league to move into major media markets when it expands, I would guess Texas or North Carolina would be considered more fertile financial ground upon which to plant the Big Ten seed.

I suppose if academics are no longer a criteria then Oklahoma makes sense.

If they wanted 2 more Big 12 schools they should have snapped up Texas A&M and Mizzou.

As much as we'd love to see our old friends, it makes a lot more sense for East coast/ACC schools to be the targets and picking up a B12 school like Iowa St or Kansas if you can only nab 1.

Two major issues with Oklahoma and KU switching leagues...those issues are Kansas State and Oklahoma State...just saying.

Can't say for certain on OU but the KU AD has stated there is no requirement within the Kansas board of regents that states KU and KSU are tied at the hip. 

I am fairly certain that the AD is not at the top of the list of those making such a decision.  I am not stating that it could not happen; but I have heard rumblings in both States about issues with such a change.

Honestly, I do not know why it would be an issue per se.  I guess the biggest hurdle would be the long traditions that exist. 

I would imagine the problems with KU/KSU and OU/OSU splitting would be dealt with at the state legislative level. There would be a battle to ensure the "little brother" public schools don't get left in the dust. I'm sure it would get nasty, which is probably why it won't happen. May depend on whether the governor at the time this would come about is a KU/OU or KSU/OSU fan.  ;)

As someone mentioned earlier, I've always assumed Delaney's ultimate plan is to continue marching southward down the East Coast, but if the Big 12 does get to the point (again) where it's on the verge of falling apart, the B1G certainly would be smart to look at adding a couple of Midwest teams and KU/OU make as much sense as anyone.

Who knows with the Big 12 though? There will be a new rumor in a few weeks. After all "Tejas is a powerful player."

I miss playing the old Big 8 teams, and there was nothing quite like Big 8 hoops on Saturday afternoons on Raycom :) but so glad to be out of that bunch of misfits. 

Here's the link.

I happened to be button pushing on the radio Thursday and Kietzman (sp)? on 810 WHB was making some noise over Bill Snyder's off-hand remark on ESPN about getting NU back into the Big12.  No frickin' way....

Yeah, NU going back to that league would be about the dumbest move possible. Beyond the fact that the Big 12's behind-the-scenes issues, public issues, and overall dysfunction really hasn't changed from what was going on in 2010, other than Beebe leaving, just the financial penalties & losses alone to NU would be devastating, especially when NU has already invested 4 years into being a full B1G member and is only 2 years away now. The financial windfall at that point will be pretty impressive.

I don't say "never" very often ... but NU going back to the Big 12 is never going to happen. If I'm wrong I'll wear burnt orange every day till I die.  :P

As long as football is driving realignment, and Kansas continues to have one of the worst football programs in all of D1, I don't see Kansas going to the Big 10.  Not only are those things problems, but the state of Kansas is not heavily populated either, so getting BTN on a bunch more TVs isn't happening by adding Kansas.  As much as it pains this basketball fan to admit, basketball success has little value in power conference realignment decision making.

I think the Big 12 will continue to exist because, outside of Texas and Oklahoma, none of the schools have anywhere else to go.  Those schools have no option but to continue to allow Texas and Oklahoma to reap a greater benefit from any financial deals.

I've always assumed Delaney's ultimate plan is to continue marching southward down the East Coast, but if the Big 12 does get to the point (again) where it's on the verge of falling apart, the B1G certainly would be smart to look at adding a couple of Midwest teams and KU/OU make as much sense as anyone. 

If B1G takes its "we will acquire teams that border the current states" approach, here's their next Division I team options:

(Bold = Power 5 Conference Member)

Colorado (Air Force, Colorado, Colorado State, Denver, Northern Colorado)

Delaware (Delaware, Delaware State)

Kansas (Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State)

Kentucky (Eastern Kentucky, Kentucky, Louisville, Morehead State, Murray State, Northern Kentucky, Western Kentucky)

Missouri (Missouri, Missouri State, Saint Louis, Southeast Missouri State, UMKC)

New York (Albany, Army, Binghamton, Buffalo, Canisius, Colgate, Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, Hofstra, Iona, LIU Brooklyn, Manhattan, Marist, Niagara, St. Bonaventure, St. Francis Brooklyn, St. John's, Siena, Stony Brook, Syracuse, Wagner)

North Dakota (North Dakota, North Dakota State)

South Dakota (South Dakota, South Dakota State)

Virginia (George Mason, Hampton, James Madison, Liberty, Longwood, Norfolk, Old Dominion, Radford, Richmond, VCU, Virginia, VMI, Virginia Tech, William & Mary)

West Virginia (Marshall, West Virginia)

Wyoming (Wyoming)

If B1G want to focus on internal growth (unlikely), here's the other options:

Illinois (Bradley, Chicago State, DePaul, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, Loyola, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, SIUE, UIC, Western Illinois)

Indiana (Ball State, Butler, Evansville, Indiana State, IPFW, IUPUI, Notre Dame, Valparaiso)

Iowa (Drake, Iowa State, Northern Iowa)

Maryland (Coppin State, Loyola, Maryland Eastern Shore, Morgan State, Mount Saint Mary's, Navy, Towson, UMBC)

Michigan (Central Michigan, Detroit, Eastern Michigan, Oakland, Western Michigan)

Minnesota (None)

Nebraska (Creighton, Omaha)

New Jersey (Fairleigh Dickinson, Monmouth, NJUT, Princeton, Rider, Saint Peter's, Seton Hall)
Ohio (Akron, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Cleveland State, Dayton, Kent State, Miami, Ohio, Toledo, Wright State, Xavier, Youngstown State)
Pennsylvania (Bucknell, Drexel, Duquesne, La Salle, Layayette, Lehigh, Penn, Pittsburgh, Robert Morris, Saint Francis, Saint Joseph's, Temple, Villanova)
Wisconsin (Marquette, Milwaukee, Green Bay)

I would imagine the problems with KU/KSU and OU/OSU splitting would be dealt with at the state legislative level. There would be a battle to ensure the "little brother" public schools don't get left in the dust. I'm sure it would get nasty, which is probably why it won't happen. May depend on whether the governor at the time this would come about is a KU/OU or KSU/OSU fan.  ;)

As someone mentioned earlier, I've always assumed Delaney's ultimate plan is to continue marching southward down the East Coast, but if the Big 12 does get to the point (again) where it's on the verge of falling apart, the B1G certainly would be smart to look at adding a couple of Midwest teams and KU/OU make as much sense as anyone.

Who knows with the Big 12 though? There will be a new rumor in a few weeks. After all "Tejas is a powerful player."

I miss playing the old Big 8 teams, and there was nothing quite like Big 8 hoops on Saturday afternoons on Raycom :) but so glad to be out of that bunch of misfits. 

If I were to push for additional teams, I would go East or Southeast.  $$$