Hmmm...I like this opinion

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/recruiting/2015/7/13/8935295/recruiting-2015-nebraska-basketball-four-star-recruit-ed-morrow-jr-big-ten

Morrow Jr.'s floor is high: he'll be able to rebound, defend, and finish at the rim no matter what, but his ceiling is sky-high. He could be a more aggressive Glen Robinson III or a more athletic Draymond Green. Despite last year's regression, Nebraska still seems to be on the upswing: their 2015 class is strong and Miles is still a good coach. Morrow Jr. and fellow commit Glynn Watson could make for an absolutely diabolical pick and roll combination next season. Nebraska should be able to play up-tempo, fun basketball next year.

Are expectations for this year mostly in the NIT range? Not making the NIT and hear the grumbles, any bubble talk would be icing on the cake?

I just want to see marked improvement from last season where we can look at the future and be optimistic.

Are expectations for this year mostly in the NIT range? Not making the NIT and hear the grumbles, any bubble talk would be icing on the cake?

I just want to see marked improvement from last season where we can look at the future and be optimistic.

I think you will see a much better team.   How much better the record gets is still up for debate as the schedule is tougher.

Maybe these are too high of expectations, but I would think the motto should be "NIT or Better" at a minimum from here on out. And maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think I'm too far off from Miles' expectations either.

I think you will see a much better team. How much better the record gets is still up for debate as the schedule is tougher.

Agreed that we might be a better team to watch, but record wise, yeah... Might still not be much of a difference.

I think you will see a much better team.   How much better the record gets is still up for debate as the schedule is tougher.

Why do you say the schedule's tougher? 

Probably referring to the B1G portion of the schedule + 'Nova and the Barclay's Classic.  Creighton is on the road this year too and they may be as good or better than they were last year...overall it's a pretty decent challenge.

Like, the B1G is gonna be scary good this year.

4 pretty good teams away from home in the non-conference along with 2 pretty good teams at home and the Big 10 will be better

I think you will see a much better team. How much better the record gets is still up for debate as the schedule is tougher.

Agreed that we might be a better team to watch, but record wise, yeah... Might still not be much of a difference.

I think the record will be better...but we're too thin up front to make the dance IMO.  Im thinking like a 16-15 or 17-14 type season

Good question. The noncon, outside of Nova, seems much weaker. I also think that the Big 10 will not be as good this year - Wisky loses everyone, Ohio St lost a key cog and others will be down too. Maryland should be very good, but otherwise I see a less dangerous road.

Good question. The noncon, outside of Nova, seems much weaker. I also think that the Big 10 will not be as good this year - Wisky loses everyone, Ohio St lost a key cog and others will be down too. Maryland should be very good, but otherwise I see a less dangerous road.

Wrong on both fronts.

The schedule is much more difficult this year...both in terms of non-con and conference.

Big 10 will be better as a whole.

Maryland will be improved considering the transfer they got and who is all coming back.

Michigan will be MUCH better

Michigan State won't be any worse

Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois will all be better.

Wisconsin loses a ton...but it's naive to think that Bo Ryan doesn't have a plan considering he has never finished lower than 4th in the conference.  Ohio State loses a lot....but is still replacing everyone with top rated recruits.

You might not have a top 5 team like you had last year in Wisconsin, but the rest of the conference is improved.

As for the non-con.....

Miami, Rhode Island, @Nova, @Creighton, neutral vs. Cincy/GW/Tenn, neutral vs. Cincy/GW/Tenn

is better than @Rhode Island, Creighton, @Florida St, @Hawaii, Cincinnati

Wrong on both fronts.

The schedule is much more difficult this year...both in terms of non-con and conference.

Maryland will be improved considering the transfer they got and who is all coming back.

Wisconsin loses a ton...but it's naive to think that Bo Ryan doesn't have a plan considering he has never finished lower than 4th in the conference.  Ohio State loses a lot....but is still replacing everyone with top rated recruits.

You might not have a top 5 team like you had last year in Wisconsin, but the rest of the conference is improved.

As for the non-con.....

Miami, Rhode Island, @Nova, @Creighton, neutral vs. Cincy/GW/Tenn, neutral vs. Cincy/GW/Tenn

Agree on both accounts...except even though the Big 10 will be better I think our conference schedule won't be as daunting as we get Rutgers, PSU, and NW twice this year.

Wrong on both fronts.

As for the non-con.....

Agree on both accounts...except even though the Big 10 will be better I think our conference schedule won't be as daunting as we get Rutgers, PSU, and NW twice this year.

Yeah, the conference might be tougher this year but our in-conference schedule has more of the weaker teams. Are we going to be net positive or negative on the conf RPI after that one?

In terms of our non-con, we've upgraded by a factor of Nova and hopefully our neutral games won't suck this year. On the flipside we've slated a lower level of low level teams and went from 3 to 2 road games. Are we going to be net positive or negative on the non-con RPI after that one?

Here is last year's RPI

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/schedule/Nebraska

Wrong on both fronts.

As for the non-con.....

Yeah, the conference might be tougher this year but our in-conference schedule has more of the weaker teams. Are we going to be net positive or negative on the conf RPI after that one?

In terms of our non-con, we've upgraded by a factor of Nova and hopefully our neutral games won't suck this year. On the flipside we've slated a lower level of low level teams and went from 3 to 2 road games. Are we going to be net positive or negative on the non-con RPI after that one?

Here is last year's RPI

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/schedule/Nebraska

Higher rpi on both accounts.

We get Rutgers and Penn State and Northwestern twice...but if we win any of those on the road...that's a huge bump considering the value of a road win.

Not to mention the majority of the teams in the conference will likely have higher RPIs....so any wins over them will carry more weight as well.

As far as the non-con is concerned...we have two road games this year as compared to last year.  The difference is last year had 3 neutral site games compared to 2 this year.   But the quality of the 2 this year will outweigh the 3 from last year.

We do have a few more 300+ type teams...but we also have more top 100 teams as well.

As far as the non-con is concerned...we have two road games this year as compared to last year.  The difference is last year had 3 neutral site games compared to 2 this year.   But the quality of the 2 this year will outweigh the 3 from last year.

In the eyes of RPI, Hawaii was a road game. We had 3 road games and 2 neutrals last year.

In the eyes of RPI, Hawaii was a road game. We had 3 road games and 2 neutrals last year.

That would carry some weight...but it will be offset in the differences in rankings.  Hawaii was ranked 150th+ and the two neutrals we will have will average out to be about 70th (in terms of last year's RPIs)

Let's also consider the weight in the eyes of the committee as well in terms of Top 100 wins.   Lot more opportunities this year.

Let's also consider the weight in the eyes of the committee as well in terms of Top 100 wins.   Lot more opportunities this year.

Are there? Last year there were 4 of our conference opponents were sub 100: Rutgers (181), Northwestern (130), Penn St (109), and Minnesota (101). We played Minnesota once and the rest twice which meant 5 of our 18 conference games were against sub 100 teams.

This year we play Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers twice which is a 6 out of 18 games vs sub 100 assuming those teams don't progress this year. Will the rest of the teams we play be above 100 as well?

Looking back we did only have 2 sub 100 non-con teams on the schedule so we should easily be able to match and exceed that. We should have more sub 100 teams on this year's schedule. I think the max is 4 more where 1-2 more is most probable.

Are there? Last year there were 4 of our conference opponents were sub 100: Rutgers (181), Northwestern (130), Penn St (109), and Minnesota (101). We played Minnesota once and the rest twice which meant 5 of our 18 conference games were against sub 100 teams.

This year we play Northwestern, Penn State, and Rutgers twice which is a 6 out of 18 games vs sub 100 assuming those teams don't progress this year. Will the rest of the teams we play be above 100 as well?

Looking back we did only have 2 sub 100 non-con teams on the schedule so we should easily be able to match and exceed that. We should have more sub 100 teams on this year's schedule. I think the max is 4 more where 1-2 more is most probable.

I think Northwestern will be decent this year.  I can see them being a top 100 team.   Say you have 3 more top 100 games.  That's 10% of your schedule right there.  Last year we played all of 2 non-con teams that were in the top 100.  That will change this year as well.

I think Northwestern will be decent this year.  I can see them being a top 100 team.   Say you have 3 more top 100 games.  That's 10% of your schedule right there.  Last year we played all of 2 non-con teams that were in the top 100.  That will change this year as well.

Here is a listing of last year's and this year's schedule with last year's RPIs. I put in Cincy and GW and left out Tenn (102)

cb525f77c1.png

Red Font = Home

Black @ = Away

Orange = Neutral non-conf

Yellow background = Non-conf

Sure Northwestern could be better but someone has to finish in the bottom part of the B1G. Also, how much better are the 7 teams that make up the bulk of our home non-conf going to be this year? If I'm a gambling man, I think our SOS is lesser this year, not greater. I don't see the schedule benefiting us for making the tourney...we need 20-21 wins in some form.

BTW, most of the griping in this thread is about the lackluster home schedule, not about the RPI or SOS.

4 pretty good teams away from home in the non-conference along with 2 pretty good teams at home and the Big 10 will be better

Could be. I'm not convinced the conference schedule will be more difficult, though. We've got more favorable H/H in conference this year. The one plays are split fairly evenly as to which we play at home vs. away, IMO. 

In non-con, I think it's pretty comparable to last year with the exception of Nova. We didn't have anything like that last year.

I expect NU to be more talented than last year, not sure if that means we'll be better or not. I'm anxious to see how the B1G conference will stack the games.