SIAP - Any rumors or talk about who the new

How do we know what sort of recruiting contacts Strickland has? Furthermore, how do we know it's Strickland at all. He surely can't be the only guy out there with "some Husker ties". 

Especially since i have zero indication for what "Husker ties" means

Wow, that's a pretty bleak outlook...

+1  thumbsup.gif

I think everyone is pretty Bummed at what Burno did and the situation he left Nebraska in.  I think that it is a lot more reflective on Burno than on Nebraska though.   But, if Burno was going to leave, I'd rather it be early in his tenure; before he really got into the program, than later, which could have been much more damaging.

A blow, yes, but the tank isn't empty; not by a long shot. Though largely unheralded, we still have Coach Kenya Hunter, Coach Mo, and the remainder of the staff is intact. I believe I'll let Coach Miles (who was able to hire Burno in the first place), determine his replacement.

How does Miles begin to dig himself out of this mess?   Well,  with all the returning experience, and lauded incoming recruiting class, a start might be by having a Stellar season this year!

But What do I know?   koolaid2.gif   (I've already admitted l don't know beans about basketball!  :ph34r: )

I agree with you Red Don. I do not view Burno leaving as an indictment of the program or Miles. I feel as most here do that if it had been anyone else besides Hurley Jr., he would have stayed in Lincoln. I don't believe Burno was unhappy at Nebraska, was having second thoughts, or didn't like working for Miles. It's a poor reflection on him in my opinion, though, because I feel that the ethical course of action would have been to give Nebraska more time and simply wait for the next opening on Hurley's staff to materialize. The timing of the move was devastating to the program.

Everyone here wants to compete at the highest level. At the very least, we all have a goal for this program to be competitive in the B1G and generally be a team that finds itself in the upper half of the League instead of the lower half. That goal is going to require a lot of talent in the program, both among its players and staff. That's why the Burno departure was so devastating. It's left us high and dry at a time at which we likely won't be able to find a suitable replacement, and thus the situation has the potential to severely damage the program by saddling it with a substandard assistant and robbing it of access to certain players that Burno likely would have landed. 

I'll take an internal hire for a year over a substandard coach that will be here for years, but neither scenario is a good one, and both have the potential to severely damage this program in the short term. I just feel it's a much more severe situation than many here want to acknowledge.

What about Michael Johnette? Played for NU, currently at IWCC. Would probably bring along Thik Bol with him, who has unlimited potential to be a stud. Similar to Ed Morrow, but better shooter, longer, just skinnier by quite a bit.

So Thik isn't very thick is what you're saying?
Quite accurate, Norm! Unfortunately for the joke, it's pronounced "Teek," I believe.

I can't believe people are actually acting as though Erick Strickland would be a suitable replacement for Rashon Burno. Do some of you have any idea what a high-caliber hire we made there with respect to knowledge of the game, experience, scouting ability, recruiting contacts and skill as a recruiter? 

You don't lose a guy of that caliber and then go out and hire an Erick Strickland. You just don't. That's really a move right out of the Bo Pelini hiring playbook.

I'm still in disbelief over this situation and how it may be resolved. It's an incredible blow to this program, and not one that I expect will have a satisfactory conclusion. Burno screwed over this program to an incredible extent, and I have no idea how Miles is going to dig himself out of this mess. At this point, there just aren't very many legitimate options, and this truly has the potential to set the program back immensely. I believe some of you are greatly underestimating just how dire a situation this truly is.

What I do know is that you sure as hell don't get yourself out of this mess by hiring a guy like Erick Strickland, who has very little experience and is not yet worthy of a B1G AC job, not to mention the fact that the guy has very little in the way of recruiting contacts, especially in comparison to someone like Rashon Burno. You can't replace prime rib eye with a can of Spam and act like everything is just fine.

If we want to be a legitimate contender in the B1G instead of a perennial doormat, and aspire to make the tournament on a regular basis, then we have to hire a coach consistent with those expectations, and a guy like Erick Strickland or an internal candidate is simply not going to get it done.

How about some standards here? Why are so many fans so easily satisfied? I know it's out of our control, but many of you don't seem to feel that this situation is as desperate as it is. It likely will hurt the program in ways people won't even be able to see. The fact is that there are probably key players out there that Burno would have landed who potentially could have changed the fortunes of this program when combined with the outstanding young talent we've brought in. Any replacement coach of a lower caliber won't be able to have the kind of recruiting impact that Burno would have had, and this program is desperate for talent with size right now.

I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say that this is a tragic turn of events for the program. I feel it's much worse than many of you are willing to acknowledge, and if someone like Strickland is hired to replace Burno, then Nebraska has to admit that it's basically given up on trying to be a competitive B1G basketball program and just go back to focusing on football. This may sound like hyperbole to some, but it's reality if we don't hire another home run coach to replace Burno, who himself appeared to be a home run coach.

You either seek out the best or just man up and admit that you'll never be a contender and stop wasting everyone's time.

To me, this is on the opposite end of the spectrum from declaring Tai Webster one of the top 25 recruits in the nation just because Fran McCaffrey said so, or saying that, with a recruiter like Scott Spinelli on board, it's not long before we start making the dance every year.

LISTEN TO ME:  Rashon Burno was an assistant coach.  An assistant.  He still is an assistant, just at a different program.  And while he would probably have been a very good assistant, he was still an assistant. 

If he was good enough to make or break our program by his presence or absence ... HE WOULD BE A HEAD COACH SOMEWHERE.  He is NOT a head coach somewhere.  He is an assistant coach somewhere.  An assistant.

It might not be great that he left.  Sure, the timing sucks.  And he was certainly a good hire, from all accounts.  Nevertheless, he's still just an assistant coach.  There's only so much influence he could possibly have over the program, good or bad.  (I say that also for all the people who think our offense went to shit because we hired Jim Molinari.)

Climb in from the window ledge; this ain't the end of the world.

Well said Norm.  I can't believe the hand wringing over an assistant leaving after two months.  What did he do in his two months that his leaving qualifies as "devastating"?  To me it's basically two months of wasted payroll but that's about it.  It's hardly ideal what happened from a timing standpoint because it will be harder to get a strong candidate at this time.  Not great nationally from a perception standpoint but this is just a bump in the road.  

Nothing has been said publicly one way or the other.

Thank you uneblin - might come as a shock to some, but Nebraska sports news is hard to come by here in Mid-MO

Typically you don't see anything really start to hit the media/twitter until there is a guy that has agreed in principle to come aboard. At that point the name gets thrown around until the actual hire occurs

Nothing has been said publicly one way or the other.

Thank you uneblin - might come as a shock to some, but Nebraska sports news is hard to come by here in Mid-MO

Typically you don't see anything really start to hit the media/twitter until there is a guy that has agreed in principle to come aboard. At that point the name gets thrown around until the actual hire occurs

But I want my cake and to eat it too! 

I can't believe people are actually acting as though Erick Strickland would be a suitable replacement for Rashon Burno. Do some of you have any idea what a high-caliber hire we made there with respect to knowledge of the game, experience, scouting ability, recruiting contacts and skill as a recruiter? 

You don't lose a guy of that caliber and then go out and hire an Erick Strickland. You just don't. That's really a move right out of the Bo Pelini hiring playbook.

I'm still in disbelief over this situation and how it may be resolved. It's an incredible blow to this program, and not one that I expect will have a satisfactory conclusion. Burno screwed over this program to an incredible extent, and I have no idea how Miles is going to dig himself out of this mess. At this point, there just aren't very many legitimate options, and this truly has the potential to set the program back immensely. I believe some of you are greatly underestimating just how dire a situation this truly is.

What I do know is that you sure as hell don't get yourself out of this mess by hiring a guy like Erick Strickland, who has very little experience and is not yet worthy of a B1G AC job, not to mention the fact that the guy has very little in the way of recruiting contacts, especially in comparison to someone like Rashon Burno. You can't replace prime rib eye with a can of Spam and act like everything is just fine.

If we want to be a legitimate contender in the B1G instead of a perennial doormat, and aspire to make the tournament on a regular basis, then we have to hire a coach consistent with those expectations, and a guy like Erick Strickland or an internal candidate is simply not going to get it done.

How about some standards here? Why are so many fans so easily satisfied? I know it's out of our control, but many of you don't seem to feel that this situation is as desperate as it is. It likely will hurt the program in ways people won't even be able to see. The fact is that there are probably key players out there that Burno would have landed who potentially could have changed the fortunes of this program when combined with the outstanding young talent we've brought in. Any replacement coach of a lower caliber won't be able to have the kind of recruiting impact that Burno would have had, and this program is desperate for talent with size right now.

I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say that this is a tragic turn of events for the program. I feel it's much worse than many of you are willing to acknowledge, and if someone like Strickland is hired to replace Burno, then Nebraska has to admit that it's basically given up on trying to be a competitive B1G basketball program and just go back to focusing on football. This may sound like hyperbole to some, but it's reality if we don't hire another home run coach to replace Burno, who himself appeared to be a home run coach.

You either seek out the best or just man up and admit that you'll never be a contender and stop wasting everyone's time.

To me, this is on the opposite end of the spectrum from declaring Tai Webster one of the top 25 recruits in the nation just because Fran McCaffrey said so, or saying that, with a recruiter like Scott Spinelli on board, it's not long before we start making the dance every year.

LISTEN TO ME:  Rashon Burno was an assistant coach.  An assistant.  He still is an assistant, just at a different program.  And while he would probably have been a very good assistant, he was still an assistant. 

If he was good enough to make or break our program by his presence or absence ... HE WOULD BE A HEAD COACH SOMEWHERE.  He is NOT a head coach somewhere.  He is an assistant coach somewhere.  An assistant.

It might not be great that he left.  Sure, the timing sucks.  And he was certainly a good hire, from all accounts.  Nevertheless, he's still just an assistant coach.  There's only so much influence he could possibly have over the program, good or bad.  (I say that also for all the people who think our offense went to shit because we hired Jim Molinari.)

Climb in from the window ledge; this ain't the end of the world.

Good post, Norm. Please let me clarify. I'm not saying the guy is so great at coaching that we won't be coaching our guards nearly at the level he would have, or even that the program is now headed for the skids because Burno left. My issue is 100% with recruiting and the way in which his departure could impact the 2015-2016 recruiting cycle.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a sport in which signing a single player equates to 20% of your starting line-up. That's one thing that's exciting about the sport of basketball. Your fortunes can change practically overnight simply by adding one or two key difference makers. 

What I'm saying is that the impact of losing Burno and, let's say, replacing him with Erick Strickland, or replacing him with Ali Farokhmanesh for a year, could mean losing out on 1-2 players who, when combined with the 2015 group, could have taken this program to the next level. Of course, it's all speculative, as Burno's 2015-2016 recruiting haul for Nebraska is something we'll never see. 

Nevertheless, when I look at Burno as a recruiter, including the connections he has, and the potential of him recruiting over the next year, in comparison to the potential of the caliber of replacement that's been discussed here, I do see a disparity that has the potential to be very damaging, not from a coaching standpoint, but from the standpoint of the recruiting prowess this program would lose for at least a year, which could literally be the difference between being a middle-of-the-pack or lower-tier B1G team and being a legitimate contender in the B1G.

Yes, Burno is just an assistant, but look at the impact the great recruiting assistants have on their teams. Burno wasn't likely to go out and land a Jahlil Okafor or Andrew Wiggins, but maybe he would have brought in a legitimate big man who could have stepped into that 5 spot next year (2016-2017) and really been the final piece of the puzzle that this team could be missing.

Again, we'll never know, but possibly losing that type of recruiting potential for a year could really hurt this program. That was the point I was trying to make.

Hooper,

You are right that we will never know.

However, your doom and gloom view seems to be a tale of woe weaved in "the grass is always greener on the other side" forest.

While I loved the Burno hire, I ask myself, what recruit did Burno bring to Florida that, if here, would have us winning a conference championship?

Next, we can only guess: What recruit will he bring to ASU that would have been ours?  While we can see who he gets to go to ASU...would they have come here? Then, is there a recruit that he could have delivered here that will not want the ASU experience? We will never know.

Whoever gets hired, what will be the result? Time will tell. 

I have never met Erick Strickland. So I do not know if he would be good or not. That is why I previously stated: 

"The major question for Miles to explore  would be: 'Does Erick either have the current connections to successfully recruit and/or the personality to get his foot in the door with the ability to close some deals with major recruits?'"

If Erick does not have the ability, I am sure there are numerous people out there that will be able to recruit at this level, so don't despair. 

And climb back in from the ledge.

This discussion is not about whether NU should hire ES...but rather about whether the recent hire/sudden resignation of Burno destines the Huskers to the lower portion of the conference, while they continue the less than stellar recruiting of the Collier/Sadler eras.

We just matriculated an excellent class without Burno's input. Why is it that NU will now be so crippled, as to fall into the middle-of-the-pack or lower-tier B1G team instead of building to be a legitimate contender in the B1G?

What am I missing about the recent change in ability for Miles' (and staff) to recruit before this hire/departure?

While I first thought I loved Burno's hire; and I later regretted the sudden resignation, I fail to see what all the angst is about. We lost a coach who didn't deliver a recruit.

We still have the coach that gave us the best class this millennium!

In Miles I Trust!

The angst is that the staff is down one recruiter during the key recruiting period of the year.

And that the loss of contacts and momentum from staff turnover is going to hurt us with the class of 2016. I'm not concerned for  future years so much as just that we're going to spin our wheels this year. Building on the momentum of 2015 might have been nice.

The angst is that the staff is down one recruiter during the key recruiting period of the year.

And that the loss of contacts and momentum from staff turnover is going to hurt us with the class of 2016. I'm not concerned for  future years so much as just that we're going to spin our wheels this year. Building on the momentum of 2015 might have been nice.

We already have Proby in the fold with two spots left to fill.  Between Miles, Hunter and Molinari we'll be fine filling those spots.  Would have been much worse last year when we took a big class, and even then I think McVeigh was the only player where Harriman was the lead recruiter.

I don't think this is a true statement.  I seem to recall Miles mentioning that one of his other guys stepped up into the recruiting role after Harriman left.  I have to assume we've got it covered again.  Do you know for sure that we're down a guy on the road right now?

Seems to me, more I think about it, elevating the internal candidate to an interim AC makes the most sense.  I'm sure we had one of the other staff members out recruiting in place of Harriman after Chris left.  If you send that guy back out now, it's going to have more umph with potential recruits if you can call him an assistant coach than if you just say he's filling in for now while we're waiting to hire another assistant.

Promote the internal guy on an interim basis.  Let him have the title.  And see what he can do.  For all we know, he's the next Craig Smith.