SIAP - Any rumors or talk about who the new

I have no clue what may happen with regard to a new assistant, but I would rather us wait until next year (and simply plug the hole internally for now) than to make an average or below average hire.  Bruno put us in a bad situation timing wise.  I am not convinced there are a ton of great assistants unemployeed at this moment.  I also worry that we will pluck an assistant that is currently employeed, and quite frankly, that would not look very good (although I guess another school just did that to us :angry:  ).  So, I am somewhat convinced we may not be making an outside hire until after the upcoming season concludes...but then again, I may be very, very wrong.

Word on the street is that we're vetting someone non-internal but with some Husker ties.

It's possible we have someone hired sooner than later.

BTW, I have no idea who this individual might be so I'm not trying to be cryptic here.

You peaked our interest, that's for sure.  This would seem to be an intriguing hire for Miles if he goes that route this time.

Word on the street is that we're vetting someone non-internal but with some Husker ties.

It's possible we have someone hired sooner than later.

Strickland?

Makes sense to me since you know Erick wants to be here. I have always admired how Erick played. He spent nine years in the league. The major question for Miles to explore  would be: Does Erick either have the current connections to successfully recruit and/or the personality to get his foot in the door with the ability to close some deals with major recruits?

Erick was in Dallas, Boston, Milwaukee and Indiana long enough to perhaps give him opportunities to make some connections. However, being in the league is time consuming. Did he have the time/inclination to do this? His brief stints in NY and Vancouver probably did not yield much time to make good connections.

If Erick is to be the one, at least we could be assured he wants to Stick around a while. 

I can't believe people are actually acting as though Erick Strickland would be a suitable replacement for Rashon Burno. Do some of you have any idea what a high-caliber hire we made there with respect to knowledge of the game, experience, scouting ability, recruiting contacts and skill as a recruiter? 

You don't lose a guy of that caliber and then go out and hire an Erick Strickland. You just don't. That's really a move right out of the Bo Pelini hiring playbook.

I'm still in disbelief over this situation and how it may be resolved. It's an incredible blow to this program, and not one that I expect will have a satisfactory conclusion. Burno screwed over this program to an incredible extent, and I have no idea how Miles is going to dig himself out of this mess. At this point, there just aren't very many legitimate options, and this truly has the potential to set the program back immensely. I believe some of you are greatly underestimating just how dire a situation this truly is.

What I do know is that you sure as hell don't get yourself out of this mess by hiring a guy like Erick Strickland, who has very little experience and is not yet worthy of a B1G AC job, not to mention the fact that the guy has very little in the way of recruiting contacts, especially in comparison to someone like Rashon Burno. You can't replace prime rib eye with a can of Spam and act like everything is just fine.

If we want to be a legitimate contender in the B1G instead of a perennial doormat, and aspire to make the tournament on a regular basis, then we have to hire a coach consistent with those expectations, and a guy like Erick Strickland or an internal candidate is simply not going to get it done.

How about some standards here? Why are so many fans so easily satisfied? I know it's out of our control, but many of you don't seem to feel that this situation is as desperate as it is. It likely will hurt the program in ways people won't even be able to see. The fact is that there are probably key players out there that Burno would have landed who potentially could have changed the fortunes of this program when combined with the outstanding young talent we've brought in. Any replacement coach of a lower caliber won't be able to have the kind of recruiting impact that Burno would have had, and this program is desperate for talent with size right now.

I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say that this is a tragic turn of events for the program. I feel it's much worse than many of you are willing to acknowledge, and if someone like Strickland is hired to replace Burno, then Nebraska has to admit that it's basically given up on trying to be a competitive B1G basketball program and just go back to focusing on football. This may sound like hyperbole to some, but it's reality if we don't hire another home run coach to replace Burno, who himself appeared to be a home run coach.

You either seek out the best or just man up and admit that you'll never be a contender and stop wasting everyone's time.

Wow, that's a pretty bleak outlook...

+1  thumbsup.gif

I think everyone is pretty Bummed at what Burno did and the situation he left Nebraska in.  I think that it is a lot more reflective on Burno than on Nebraska though.   But, if Burno was going to leave, I'd rather it be early in his tenure; before he really got into the program, than later, which could have been much more damaging.

A blow, yes, but the tank isn't empty; not by a long shot. Though largely unheralded, we still have Coach Kenya Hunter, Coach Mo, and the remainder of the staff is intact. I believe I'll let Coach Miles (who was able to hire Burno in the first place), determine his replacement.

How does Miles begin to dig himself out of this mess?   Well,  with all the returning experience, and lauded incoming recruiting class, a start might be by having a Stellar season this year!

But What do I know?   koolaid2.gif   (I've already admitted l don't know beans about basketball!  :ph34r: )