Burno Bolting for ASU

You all realize that every AC at the major school level is looking to one day have their own program, right?

Yeah I didn't see him staying more,than two years because he wants and will get a head coaching job. Just wish we could have gotten the two years.

Pay Kenya more than the next guy, and see if we can find some body who can bring along a serviceable big.

I my response was more pointed at Hunter and Molinari. These guys want their shot to run a program, and in Molinari's case, another shot. Don't think they don't want that, regardless of how much you pay them.

But it is a respect thing...

You all realize that every AC at the major school level is looking to one day have their own program, right?

Yeah I didn't see him staying more,than two years because he wants and will get a head coaching job. Just wish we could have gotten the two years.

Pay Kenya more than the next guy, and see if we can find some body who can bring along a serviceable big.

I my response was more pointed at Hunter and Molinari. These guys want their shot to run a program, and in Molinari's case, another shot. Don't think they don't want that, regardless of how much you pay them.

But it is a respect thing...

What is?

Kid wants to transfer schools, has to get approved by the NCAA, new school has to be approved by the head coach, and he has to sit out a year. Coach jumps from 3 schools in a matter of 4 months, zero repercussions. 

This. andrew white has to waste a year of his basketball career, but burno can go to 3 schools immediately.

This is truly a disaster because of the timing of the move. I don't agree with some others out there who may feel it's an indictment of the program or Miles. It's just horrible timing.

I also really hope that Miles is just giving lip service when he talks about filling the position with an internal candidate. That would be an incredibly unwise decision that would set the program back immensely. Ali Faroukmanesh appears to be a bright young coach, but he doesn't have the caliber of recruiting ties that this program so desperately needs. We need a true home run here. I really thought we had one in Burno.

I took the internal portion as if for whatever reason he can't find someone he truly feels is worth it he "recruits" from within for Eaton or Teddy so he can have someone that's available to go out recruiting the next year and then gets someone at the top of the list next year. I wouldn't expect it to a long term thing.

That's more bush-league to whatever "internal" option they have to fall back on than what Burno did. You don't hire one of those guys and then fire/demote them next year when the coaching carousel comes along again. It's not the same as recruiting, you don't "recruit over" your coaches. Those guys have connections and pedigrees. They don't have experience and this probably isn't the place you want them to get their first AC jobs, though. That doesn't mean one of them isn't a star waiting for their opportunity.

So in the instance Miles can't find "the guy" you're ok with them not having anyone at all fill the role and then not have someone that can make recruiting calls and the like during the season? That's just plain dumb if they didn't do it because why would you hamstring your program having one less person helping in recruiting.

This is truly a disaster because of the timing of the move. I don't agree with some others out there who may feel it's an indictment of the program or Miles. It's just horrible timing.

I also really hope that Miles is just giving lip service when he talks about filling the position with an internal candidate. That would be an incredibly unwise decision that would set the program back immensely. Ali Faroukmanesh appears to be a bright young coach, but he doesn't have the caliber of recruiting ties that this program so desperately needs. We need a true home run here. I really thought we had one in Burno.

I took the internal portion as if for whatever reason he can't find someone he truly feels is worth it he "recruits" from within for Eaton or Teddy so he can have someone that's available to go out recruiting the next year and then gets someone at the top of the list next year. I wouldn't expect it to a long term thing.

That's more bush-league to whatever "internal" option they have to fall back on than what Burno did. You don't hire one of those guys and then fire/demote them next year when the coaching carousel comes along again. It's not the same as recruiting, you don't "recruit over" your coaches. Those guys have connections and pedigrees. They don't have experience and this probably isn't the place you want them to get their first AC jobs, though. That doesn't mean one of them isn't a star waiting for their opportunity.

What if the "internal" guy is down with being promoted for a season before returning to his old job (or moving on to something else)?  What if being promoted to full-time assistant burnishes his resume to get a real promotion somewhere else?  I mean, if he understands the deal and knows that it's a one-year thing, who are we to care?

What if the "internal" guy is down with being promoted for a season before returning to his old job (or moving on to something else)? What if being promoted to full-time assistant burnishes his resume to get a real promotion somewhere else? I mean, if he understands the deal and knows that it's a one-year thing, who are we to care?
Because recruiting is too important to sacrifice a year with an internal support staff guy who has no recruiting contacts. We can't waste time like that.

That's a totally different issue than whether or not it's bush league to promote a guy for only a year.

Like I said, if the internal guy being promoted is OK with it, why should we care that he's only getting a one-year promotion?

I'm fairly comfortable saying I don't think any of the internal options would be ok with that scenario, at least not the "return to the old position" scenario.

So in the instance Miles can't find "the guy" you're ok with them not having anyone at all fill the role and then not have someone that can make recruiting calls and the like during the season? That's just plain dumb if they didn't do it because why would you hamstring your program having one less person helping in recruiting.

Where did I say anything like that?

What if the "internal" guy is down with being promoted for a season before returning to his old job (or moving on to something else)?  What if being promoted to full-time assistant burnishes his resume to get a real promotion somewhere else?  I mean, if he understands the deal and knows that it's a one-year thing, who are we to care?
Because it would be like having a walk-on coach who got a scholly just because there was one to give.

Now, if Trevor Menke were the guy, then I'd be all in!

The plan so far; right now; until something better comes along, according to the Lincoln Journal:

In the meantime, Miles will put video coordinator Greg Eaton on the road for recruiting. Eaton, who Miles said is a “very good evaluator,” spent a weekend on the road in April, after Harriman left and before Burno was hired.

“There are some timing elements that make this an awkward time,” Miles said. “I’m not sure what I’m going to do, quite frankly. It could be an external candidate, it could be an internal candidate. I think all things are going to be in play.

“I’m not going to overreact, either. I’m not going to hire a Labrador retriever just because you know he’s going to lay at my feet.”

But maybe he would stay.

Several random thoughts: 1. At least he lasted longer than Fran Fraschilla did at NU. 2. Do the Hurleys' have some sort of problem with Miles? It seems a bit underhanded to poach someone who was just hired at this particular time of year and play the family/friend card unless they feel Burno's career would be greatly enhanced by leaving our program. 3. Would the Hurleys have used the same approach if Burno had just been hired at Michigan State or Ohio State for example? 4. David Anwar is still out there somewhere.

Several random thoughts: 1. At least he lasted longer than Fran Fraschilla did at NU. 2. Do the Hurley's have some sort of problem with Miles? It seems a bit underhanded to poach someone who was just hired at this particular time of year and play the family/friend card unless they feel Burno's career would be greatly enhanced by leaving our program. 3. Would the Hurleys have used the same approach if Burno had just been hired at Michigan State or Ohio State for example? 4. David Anwar is still out there somewhere.

Jimmy, since you brought it up:   Believe it or not David Anwar is not with Doc at Southern Miss.  He is an assistant at North Texas, working for another former Husker assistant, Tony Benford.  

timing sucks, but NU will live. if he can't find a quality replacement, leave the position open for a season. It's not as if a new hire at this point is going to make a difference in this cycle. And hiring a lame duck doesn't help either, since they can't recruit if it's a coaching one and done.

Miles is smart enough and job secure enough to not make a panic hire, and none of us should want him to just to fill an opening because, well, space abhors a vacuum?

It wouldn't shock me to see the spot open for a year with maybe a placeholder candidate internally simply to make phone calls and look at players with the understanding that it's a temp gig but a resume stuffer.

It's just a bad luck scenario. No one's guilty of anything other than bad timing. This will not tank the program.

How do the contracts for assistants work? Is there a buyout? How much of his salary is prorated and when does his paycheck from Arizona State kick in? I hope everything is arranged equitably for all concerned and this is not like someone who gets paid for two weeks of training on how to do a job and then quits the day work actually begins.

• 5 years later...