Burno Bolting for ASU

Agreed!  Per the timeline:

When it’s all laid out like that, it’s not difficult to see why Burno didn’t go to ASU when Hurley was hired, there simply wasn’t an opportunity when Burno was available and vice versa.

But the Problem IS, leaving your Existing employer in the lurch! thumbsdown.gif

Agreed!  Per the timeline:

When it’s all laid out like that, it’s not difficult to see why Burno didn’t go to ASU when Hurley was hired, there simply wasn’t an opportunity when Burno was available and vice versa.

But the Problem IS, leaving your Existing employer in the lurch! thumbsdown.gif

There's no doubt about it. Reading the OWH and LJS stories, it's pretty apparent that if it wasn't Hurley, he doesn't go. There's an uncommon connection there.

But he very well could have left Florida to go to ASU as soon as Hurley was hired, right?  One would assume there was communication between the two when Hurley took the gig.  If not, then Burley is a Plan-B hire for Hurley, which doesn't quite "feel" right given their history.

But he very well could have left Florida to go to ASU as soon as Hurley was hired, right?  One would assume there was communication between the two when Hurley took the gig.  If not, then Burley is a Plan-B hire for Hurley, which doesn't quite "feel" right given their history.

I mean, in theory, maybe, but he still had a job at Florida and the move from Florida to ASU isn't a good career move. Making a jump like this so soon after taking a job might not be either, but job-to-job, it's not a step clear step backwards like Florida to ASU would have been, had that even been on the table, but that's not information we have at this time one way or the other. Hurley really only had one spot to fill when he made the move. He retained one guy from the previous staff and brought one with him from Buffalo. Burno really may not have been a viable option the first time around.

If we are still willing to spend 250K on an assistant...and I have no reason to believe we will not, then I don't think it will be too difficult for Miles to find a solid replacement.

Solid replacement or not, the Bruno hiring was a complete disaster, because of what Burno just did. He did us no good by being here, no recruits that he had contacts with are coming, and he completely screwed us by leaving - Harriman left 2 1/2 months ago and it will be another month probably to get the next replacement, so NU is basically an assistant short for an entire summer of recruiting. Plus it feeds a perception that assistants won't stay here - why would a recruit sign because of a relationship with an assistant if he thinks that assistant won't stay?

This is truly a disaster because of the timing of the move. I don't agree with some others out there who may feel it's an indictment of the program or Miles. It's just horrible timing. 

I also really hope that Miles is just giving lip service when he talks about filling the position with an internal candidate. That would be an incredibly unwise decision that would set the program back immensely. Ali Faroukmanesh appears to be a bright young coach, but he doesn't have the caliber of recruiting ties that this program so desperately needs. We need a true home run here. I really thought we had one in Burno.

Wow. That's pretty bad. So much for the high-character pitch.

Many years ago, I saw two young professionals do the same thing. The impact on the organizations they left: short-term--very intense and negative; mid- to long-term--insignificant.

As for the young professionals: both are disappointments in their subsequent careers.

Makes you wonder about the ASU folks too.

This is truly a disaster because of the timing of the move. I don't agree with some others out there who may feel it's an indictment of the program or Miles. It's just horrible timing.

I also really hope that Miles is just giving lip service when he talks about filling the position with an internal candidate. That would be an incredibly unwise decision that would set the program back immensely. Ali Faroukmanesh appears to be a bright young coach, but he doesn't have the caliber of recruiting ties that this program so desperately needs. We need a true home run here. I really thought we had one in Burno.

I took the internal portion as if for whatever reason he can't find someone he truly feels is worth it he "recruits" from within for Eaton or Teddy so he can have someone that's available to go out recruiting the next year and then gets someone at the top of the list next year. I wouldn't expect it to a long term thing.

The timing sucks.  The fact that we provided this dude a job...he made a committment and then something else comes around the corner and boom, gonzo.  That, in my narrow and currently angry mind, is a character flaw.  Okay...deep breath, I will cool down about this...but I want to be the program that is the greener pasture, not the one that is considered brown dirt that everyone is leaving from...just saying.

I took the internal portion as if for whatever reason he can't find someone he truly feels is worth it he "recruits" from within for Eaton or Teddy so he can have someone that's available to go out recruiting the next year and then gets someone at the top of the list next year. I wouldn't expect it to a long term thing.

That's more bush-league to whatever "internal" option they have to fall back on than what Burno did. You don't hire one of those guys and then fire/demote them next year when the coaching carousel comes along again. It's not the same as recruiting, you don't "recruit over" your coaches. Those guys have connections and pedigrees. They don't have experience and this probably isn't the place you want them to get their first AC jobs, though. That doesn't mean one of them isn't a star waiting for their opportunity.

The timing sucks.  The fact that we provided this dude a job...he made a committment and then something else comes around the corner and boom, gonzo.  That, in my narrow and currently angry mind, is a character flaw.  Okay...deep breath, I will cool down about this...but I want to be the program that is the greener pasture, not the one that is considered brown dirt that everyone is leaving from...just saying.

I don't think this is a greener pastures scenario.

You all realize that every AC at the major school level is looking to one day have their own program, right?

Yeah I didn't see him staying more,than two years because he wants and will get a head coaching job. Just wish we could have gotten the two years.

Pay Kenya more than the next guy, and see if we can find some body who can bring along a serviceable big.

You all realize that every AC at the major school level is looking to one day have their own program, right?

Yeah I didn't see him staying more,than two years because he wants and will get a head coaching job. Just wish we could have gotten the two years.

Pay Kenya more than the next guy, and see if we can find some body who can bring along a serviceable big.

I my response was more pointed at Hunter and Molinari. These guys want their shot to run a program, and in Molinari's case, another shot. Don't think they don't want that, regardless of how much you pay them.