Throwback Thursday... Way Back

Thanks for posting Auroran!   Somehow the 100th anniversary seems prescient.

It may not be as 'storied' as in Football, but at least we Do have a BB history of prior success that we can point to.  :rolleyes:

(Even if it is taking a little longer to resuscitate.  koolaid2.gif)

Although it 's not quite 100 years, I just found out my uncle lettered in Nebrasketball;  1920 & 21.

The last championship for Nebraska basketball was in 1996, the National Invitational Tournament. Prior to that, the 1994 BIg 8 Conference Tournament championship.  And, much before that, the team won titles in the regular conference season in 1912, 1913*, 1914, 1916*, 1949 and 1950.

* Outright Conference Championship Team

The last championship for Nebraska basketball was in 1996, the National Invitational Tournament. Prior to that, the 1994 BIg 8 Conference Tournament championship.  And, much before that, the team won titles in the regular conference season in 1912, 1913*, 1914, 1916*, 1949 and 1950.

* Outright Conference Championship Team

This is just personal opinion.... The '94 Conference Tourney championship was nice and all, but I'd trade a tournament conference championship in a heartbeat for a regular season championship.

The 1950 team was a co-champion with 2 other teams in a 6 team conference.  The '49 team shared with 1 other team.  The ones in the teens were in the old Missouri Valley so....

It's safe to say that our next undisputed conference championship - if it's in the 14 team Big Ten - will be easily the largest accomplishment this program has ever had.

And let's not forget the Cubs were pretty darn good in the day of Tinker to Evers to Chance. Hmmm... here's a poll idea. Cubs win a playoff game or Huskers win an NCAA  tournament game first?? I'll vote for the latter at this point.

Cubs have the curse of the billy goat.  Red Sox had the curse of the Bambino.  Do we have a curse?

And let's not forget the Cubs were pretty darn good in the day of Tinker to Evers to Chance. Hmmm... here's a poll idea. Cubs win a playoff game or Huskers win an NCAA  tournament game first?? I'll vote for the latter at this point.

Cubs have the curse of the billy goat.  Red Sox had the curse of the Bambino.  Do we have a curse?

Does the curse of indigestion from too many free Runzas count?

Does the curse of indigestion from too many free Runzas count?

Given the qualification of why we win the free Runzas, there is no such thing as "too many free Runzas".

Besides, I love them.

Nah, there's no curse. It was a lack of care for too many years. That's changed, thankfully. It's a long road uphill to greatness... Wisconsin was not any good for quite a long time & now they're one of the better basketball stories out there, regionally & nationally.

In order to rise to the level of a "curse" a team should have a large and passionate fan base who cares about their team regardless of how bad they may be. Outside of a few dozen fans (many of whom frequent this board) I doubt Nebraska basketball qualifies for a curse yet.

In order to rise to the level of a "curse" a team should have a large and passionate fan base who cares about their team regardless of how bad they may be. Outside of a few dozen fans (many of whom frequent this board) I doubt Nebraska basketball qualifies for a curse yet.

Curse of a 'Small (un-passionate :o ) Fan Base', maybe??  ;)

(With our incoming class,  upgraded coaching staff and recruiting prospects, I hope that's about to change. I expect PBA to Rock this winter! rockon.gif )