107 Football Academic All Americans - How about BB

Red Don

107 Football Academic All Americans - How about Basketball?

How about Basketball Academic All Americans?   Shavon Shields, Trevor Mencke,  Kye Kurkowski, Leslie Smith,  Nick Fuller, and next year maybe Andrew White III and other Basketball Honor Roll Student-Athletes!   :P    Academics is just as important to the Basketball Program!

http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/7272-huskers-lead-the-conference-academic-team-with-five/

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Coach Miles to Respond!  ;)

I believe this is the second time in a row for Shavon.  While there are different levels, qualifications, requirements, etc. Nebraska lead the conference, with 5 (Five!) of the 32 basketball players (from 16 teams) named Academic All Big Ten Team.  :)

Like football, we should be promoting this for all its worth (Not that we Aren't Already) to prospective recruits/transfers.  Several prospective recruits have emphasized how important a school's academics are to their decision.  

EDIT:   Just happened to look it up in Husker History.    There is a surprisingly large list of BB Players receiving Academic Awards over the years.  I don't know how to count them because award qualifications may change and players are listed for multiple years, but the list has some 88 names.   thumbsup.gif

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=206822731