Miles extended through 2019-20

hhcmatt

Didn't anyone think about the buyout?  

I know this is tongue-in-cheek post but I think we see another school paying us to buy out Miles before we have to pay Miles to leave.

Unless next year is like this year.  In which case I predict that there will be residents of this board complaining howling about extending his contract for no good reason where the cost of the buyout is going to be so huge, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I know this is tongue-in-cheek post but I think we see another school paying us to buy out Miles before we have to pay Miles to leave.

Unless next year is like this year.  In which case I predict that there will be residents of this board complaining howling about extending his contract for no good reason where the cost of the buyout is going to be so huge, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Just in case.. Where is the best place to get my pitchfork sharpened?

Not a bad gig, if you can get it. Most, if not all, Div. 1 coaches seem to have what amounts to a rolling 4-5 year window as a HC.

If people have a whiff of instability on you, they use it against you in recruiting. How much of Belfieldt's decision on Iowa St depend on Fred Hoiberg's status?

So you mean to tell me there is a difference between extending the contract of a coach who had a top 4 finish in his first three years and a NCAA appearance rather than extending(that was no biggie) a coach AND DOUBLING HIS BUYOUT(LOL) a year removed from going 2-14 in the Big 12 and just a couple NIT appearances?  Only to fire that same coach the next year? Interesting. 

Has anyone read that this extension doubles Miles buyout?

So you mean to tell me there is a difference between extending the contract of a coach who had a top 4 finish in his first four years and a NCAA appearance rather than extending(that was no biggie) a coach AND DOUBLING HIS BUYOUT(LOL) a year removed from going 2-14 in the Big 12 and just a couple NIT appearances?  Only to fire that same coach the next year? Interesting. 

Very subtle, 13.  So, what do you think of Dr. Osborne?

So you mean to tell me there is a difference between extending the contract of a coach who had a top 4 finish in his first four years and a NCAA appearance rather than extending(that was no biggie) a coach AND DOUBLING HIS BUYOUT(LOL) a year removed from going 2-14 in the Big 12 and just a couple NIT appearances?  Only to fire that same coach the next year? Interesting. 

Very subtle, 13.  So, what do you think of Dr. Osborne?

I think he made a great choice in hiring Miles for our basketball program.  I think his handling of Doc's BUYOUT(not contract extension) left some egg on his face when he fired Doc the next year.  Which of course is pertinent to this thread now that Norm brought it up.

Not a bad gig, if you can get it. Most, if not all, Div. 1 coaches seem to have what amounts to a rolling 4-5 year window as a HC.

If people have a whiff of instability on you, they use it against you in recruiting. How much of Belfieldt's decision on Iowa St depend on Fred Hoiberg's status?

Good point. Perhaps that is why Bielfeldt hasn't declared his intentions....

I think he made a great choice in hiring Miles for our basketball program.  I think his handling of Doc's BUYOUT(not contract extension) left some egg on his face when he fired Doc the next year.  Which of course is pertinent to this thread now that Norm brought it up.

Has the athletic department been hamstrung in any way by this additional buyout money? I'd like to know if we're talking about something of substance here or if we're just griping about some decision that is essentially meaningless.

Has the athletic department been hamstrung in any way by this additional buyout money? I'd like to know if we're talking about something of substance here or if we're just griping about some decision that is essentially meaningless.

Well I certainly don't think the athletic department is in the business of giving handouts.  Was the athletic department hamstrung by the money given to Callahan after letting him go? No? But it is still brought up by many when discussing Harvey Perlman.  Could the money have been used elsewhere...... yes.  Either way, the two comparisons aren't in the same ballpark when discussing this contract extension to Doc's contract extension(and his buyout) the year before he was canned.  

Well I certainly don't think the athletic department is in the business of giving handouts.  Was the athletic department hamstrung by the money given to Callahan after letting him go? No? But it is still brought up by many when discussing Harvey Perlman.  Could the money have been used elsewhere...... yes.  Either way, the two comparisons aren't in the same ballpark when discussing this contract extension to Doc's contract extension(and his buyout) the year before he was canned.  

But what portion of Doc's buyout was the university ultimately responsible for?  It sure as hell wasn't 100% of it.  (I'm asking because I don't know offhand but I do know that we have only paid the amount that KU, ISU and now Southern Miss salaries fall short of)

But ultimately, I'm not sure all this bickering is worth the time and effort it takes to mention.  Especially in light of the fact that we're talking about a couple of million dollars spread out over a number of years at an institution that has a $2.3 BILLION annual operating budget.

http://nebraska.edu/docs/budget/GOB201415.pdf

But what portion of Doc's buyout was the university ultimately responsible for?  It sure as hell wasn't 100% of it.  (I'm asking because I don't know offhand but I do know that we have only paid the amount that KU, ISU and now Southern Miss salaries fall short of)

But ultimately, I'm not sure all this bickering is worth the time and effort it takes to mention.  Especially in light of the fact that we're talking about a couple of million dollars spread out over a number of years at an institution that has a $2.3 BILLION annual operating budget.

http://nebraska.edu/docs/budget/GOB201415.pdf

I really don't know what the actual amount came out to be, I'm sure it's already paid off but that's not really the point.  In fact, Osborne stated he upped the guaranteed amount of money Doc would get because he was embarrassed by his low pay and to show recruits that we are on Doc's side.  So I guess the real question is...why did he wait so long?  But like I said, at the end of the day the two transactions aren't really comparable.  And yes, I saw Norm's JK smiley face.   

I really don't know what the actual amount came out to be, I'm sure it's already paid off but that's not really the point.  In fact, Osborne stated he upped the guaranteed amount of money Doc would get because he was embarrassed by his low pay and to show recruits that we are on Doc's side.  So I guess the real question is...why did he wait so long?  But like I said, at the end of the day the two transactions aren't really comparable.  And yes, I saw Norm's JK smiley face.   

Valid point.  IIRC, it was pretty well aligned with the move to the B1G, and TO saw that we were playing in a whole different ballpark (pardon the pun) when it came to hoops there.

Pretty sure it had a whole lot less to do with Doc than it did with aligning the program with its peers and where we expect to play on a conference-wide and ultimately national scale.  At least salary-wise.

But like I said, at the end of the day the two transactions aren't really comparable.  

I guess we're talking about extending a coach that is seemingly trending upwards vs.one that basically was given one more chance to put things together....in that context it's really not as comparable. Did that raise make it easier to pony up the kind of money you were going to pay the next coach and/or become worth it had Doc made the tourney? Was there much to lose, in the grand scheme of things, by betting on Sadler for a year monetarily? (Deciding not to fire him instead definitely changed, for better or worse, who would have been the next Nebraska basketball coach)

BTW, Miles' buyout per month on his original contract was more than Sadler's doubled buyout. (900k/yr vs 800k/yr)