How about that NBA?

Rockets also played in the '81 Finals vs. Celtics when Moses Malone led the League in scoring AND rebounding. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Dennis Rodman!

And, in those same 80's, the Sixers went "foa, foa, foa" thanks to Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Andrew Toney, Maurice Cheeks, Bobby Jones et al. The '83 Philly was as dominant as any team has been in one post-season, largely due to the acquisition of Moses who brought them to the Promised Land.

That '83 Sixer team beat the Lakers. Also the series when Dr. J went up and under the Basket, baseline, for that insane reverse flip off the glass. Still maybe one of the best shots you'll EVER see...

I am glad somebody else thinks so. To me that is the best shot I have ever seen. So much better than the Jordan drive the lane switch hand shot that so many people get all hot and sweaty over. But that is probably just me.

I get hot and sweaty over something else.

Rockets also played in the '81 Finals vs. Celtics when Moses Malone led the League in scoring AND rebounding. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Dennis Rodman!

And, in those same 80's, the Sixers went "foa, foa, foa" thanks to Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Andrew Toney, Maurice Cheeks, Bobby Jones et al. The '83 Philly was as dominant as any team has been in one post-season, largely due to the acquisition of Moses who brought them to the Promised Land.

That '83 Sixer team beat the Lakers. Also the series when Dr. J went up and under the Basket, baseline, for that insane reverse flip off the glass. Still maybe one of the best shots you'll EVER see...

I am glad somebody else thinks so. To me that is the best shot I have ever seen. So much better than the Jordan drive the lane switch hand shot that so many people get all hot and sweaty over. But that is probably just me.

Dr. J was an innovator. MJ expanded on what Dr. J could do. Both great players in their own right.  Dr. J was my favorite player on my favorite team; and MJ was a joy to watch, no matter who you rooted for.

Dr. J was an innovator. MJ expanded on what Dr. J could do. Both great players in their own right.  Dr. J was my favorite player on my favorite team; and MJ was a joy to watch, no matter who you rooted for.

I will gently and respectfully disagree (to a point).  To me, Dr. J embellished upon what Connie Hawkins started.  Dr. J never refined his outside or defensive game.  Dr. J was an event.  He was a piece to the puzzle when the 76'ers won their championship.  Michael was a difference maker in the truest sense.  He continued to upgrade his game from age 15 to age 30.  Each year he worked on an element of his game and each year he took it to the next level.  Bird seemed to get to a level and lived at that level for a lot of years.  He was similar to the Big O in that regard.  The closest to Michael was likely Magic.  He found a way to elevate his game each and every year, but not to the extent of Michael. 

I am not a huge fan of Michael away from the court.  He has supposedly gambled away more in one night than most humans make in a lifetime and he is also a below average in evaluating talent.  But the dude could ball, and he (like Ali, Pele and a few others) became iconic not only for his sports prowess, but more so because he transcended or became bigger than the game.

I figured someone would mention Connie Hawkins ('cuz I basically asked for it ;) ). I'm a huge fan of Dr. J because I was of an impressionable age when the NBA grew mightily, so obviously I am quite biased with my love for the '83 Sixers too. I left my opinion briefly earlier, so I'll attempt to elaborate on what I meant becuase I didn't compare Dr. J to MJ as a basketball star. I was comparing them as a show-stopper for a league. From my perspective, I think Dr. J took what Hawkins did on a smaller stage & Julius made it a better show for the transition from the ABA to the NBA. But, really, we're just splitting hairs in an off-season thread 'cuz that's what we do at HHC. :D

BTW, I did not make any claims that Dr. J invented the high-riser game. I do believe Julius Erving was most definitely an innovator of certain signature moves (including the Dunk Contest!) & movements at a time when the NBA needed stars to shine, Dr. J shone brightly; MJ shone even brighter. That's what I was trying to convey with brevity earlier, and it must not have been as clear to others what I meant by 'innovator'

And, Moses Malone is the one who helped lead the Sixers to the Promised Land, as I mentioned on the much earlier post. Dr. J, though, was the face of the City of Brotherly Love at that point in time. He was an icon in his own right for his impact on the game of basketball, as in playing above the rim when few others lived there, or even visited! Dr. J is/was beloved for the man he was for that particular point in time.

I figured someone would mention Connie Hawkins ('cuz I basically asked for it ;) ). I'm a huge fan of Dr. J because I was of an impressionable age when the NBA grew mightily, so obviously I am quite biased with my love for the '83 Sixers too. I left my opinion briefly earlier, so I'll attempt to elaborate on what I meant becuase I wasn't compared Dr. J to MJ as a basketball star. I was comparing them as a show-stopper for a league. From my perspective, I think Dr. J took what Hawkins did on a smaller stage & Julius made it a better show for the transition from the ABA to the NBA. But, really, we're just splitting hairs in an off-season thread 'cuz that's what we do at HHC. :D

BTW, I did not make any claims that Dr. J invented the high-riser game. I do believe Julius Erving was most definitely an innovator of certain signature moves (including the Dunk Contest!) & movements at a time when the NBA needed stars to shine, Dr. J shone brightly; MJ shone even brighter. That's what I was trying to convey with brevity earlier, and it must not have been as clear as others what I meant by 'innovator'

And, Moses Malone is the one who helped lead the Sixers to the Promised Land, as I mentioned on the much earlier post. Dr. J, though, was the face of the City of Brotherly Love at that point in time. He was an icon in his own right for his impact on the game of basketball, as in playing above the rim when few others lived there, or even visited! Dr. J is/was beloved for the man he was for that particular point in time.

I can certainly agree to this ;)

But...but...but what about Chocolate Thunder? We're is he on that team?;)

I just liked Dr. J game. I personally think that The Big O was the best to play the game.

The biggest thing I always ask when people start comparing players from different times is which rules are you going to play?

Think about how the game was so different from rules to travel, lifting weights, diet, everything.

Isn't that also the year where Dr.J got the break away and just cups the ball on the dribble and wind mills the crap out of it? They show that shot a lot.

I never understood the excitement over that shot. He does pull it down and change hands but if you watch the play, there is never any reason to do that. He could have gotten the first shot off without the extra stuff.

Did you watch the NBA TV documentary on Dr. J? Loved it, especially the old ABA footage I'd never seen.

I was fortunate enough to see Dr. J. match up against The Iceman, George Gervin when the Nets would play the Spurs in San Antonio in the old ABA. They should bring back the multicolored ball for a retro game some day just for fun. I suppose the NBA doesn't want to commemorate a rival league though. Billy Paultz and Sven Nater were the Spur's centers at that time. I also saw Connie Hawkins once at the end of his career when he played for the Suns. Those were the days.

I was fortunate enough to see Dr. J. match up against The Iceman, George Gervin when the Nets would play the Spurs in San Antonio in the old ABA. They should bring back the multicolored ball for a retro game some day just for fun. I suppose the NBA doesn't want to commemorate a rival league though. Billy Paultz and Sven Nater were the Spur's centers at that time. I also saw Connie Hawkins once at the end of his career when he played for the Suns. Those were the days.

The Harlem Globetrotters are still using the red, white & blue basketballs. They were in Omaha a couple of weeks ago.  The 'Trotters also had a 4-point circle from 35' away from the hoop.  A couple of players regularly made shots from WAY downtown! ;)

As a Lakers fan, I feel compelled to chime in. Name all the 6'9" point guards to to play in the NBA? It's a short list: Earvin Johnson.

He also led that team in rebounding on 2 occasions, and happened to play with a pretty fair Center at the time, Kareem somebody... 

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/08/the-best-tall-point-guards-in-nba-history/#/oscar-robertson

Isn't that also the year where Dr.J got the break away and just cups the ball on the dribble and wind mills the crap out of it? They show that shot a lot.

I never understood the excitement over that shot. He does pull it down and change hands but if you watch the play, there is never any reason to do that. He could have gotten the first shot off without the extra stuff.

Totally agree.  And there're clips of Michael making amazing adjustments in mid-air that the situation actually required.  One I can think of where he's slicing to the basket, goes up between two big men, spins in the air like 360*, and emerges from between them (all while in mid-air) to make the shot.  That one truly showed his amazing hang time.

Totally agree.  And there're clips of Michael making amazing adjustments in mid-air that the situation actually required.  One I can think of where he's slicing to the basket, goes up between two big men, spins in the air like 360*, and emerges from between them (all while in mid-air) to make the shot.  That one truly showed his amazing hang time.

I always thought Larry Bird had the best hang time of anyone I saw play

By the way, who was the only person who could ever consistently hold Michael Jordan under 20 points?

Answer:  Dean Smith

Wasn't those days but it was some days when I saw the 76's championship team of Dr. J, Moses Malone, Andrew Toney, Bobby Jones, Mo Cheeks, and one of the best warmup dunkers of all-time Earl Cureton in Denver vs the Superman III team of Alex English, Kiki Vandeweghe, and Dan Issel. 

Followed up the next year I saw a Championship Laker team beat the Nuggets 133-132 . Down 2 Magic snapped a 22 ft no look pass to a cutting Smooth as Silk Jamaal Wilkes for layup and the and one to go up 1. It still took 3 block shots from Jabaar in the last 5 seconds right at the basket to finish off the victory. Unbelievable, fabulous finish, obviously still fresh in my mind today.

Just in case anyone is curious, the Portland player in the Archibald photo is Rick Adelman. Investigative journalistic endeavors like this are how we retired folks pass time on a rainy Thursday morning.

Jimmy,   Thanks for letting me know what retired folks do with their spare time.

I did not know what to anticipate this fall...

But now I do, my friend. Now I do!

Dean: I think my present lack of a vested interest in the NBA causes my perception that the folks attending NBA games now will not remember them 30 or 40 years hence. However, those in attendance at the Bulls game last night are sure to recall Rose's shot. Nevertheless, I venture many were too busy taking selfies to acquire an actual memory.