Wisconsin 2015-16

Row6Seat10

The fire has been stoked under the seat of Wisconsin Head Coach Bobbie Kelsey. Mike Evans as noted in the headline is the hockey coach.

Athletic Board sends message to Mike Evans, Bobbie Kelsey

Three University of Wisconsin coaches were placed on alert Friday when their multiyear contracts were not extended.

Kelsey, hired in 2011, saw the Badgers finish 9-20 overall (5-13 in the Big Ten) a year after compiling a 10-19 mark (3-13 in league play). A year after extending Kelsey’s contract, Alvarez recommended against a rollover even though Kelsey had her leading scorer, forward Michala Johnson, suffer a season-ending knee injury and play in only six games.

“As you go along you want to see improvement and I don’t think we saw enough improvement where (Kelsey) was satisfied or we were satisfied where the performance merited a rolling contract,” Alvarez said.

Asked to quantify expectations for women’s basketball next season, Alvarez said he wanted to “see us more competitive than we have been.”

Alvarez declined to address if there had been any discussion about firing Eaves and/or Kelsey.

“We’re doing our jobs and we’re giving them opportunities to get their jobs done,” Alvarez said of the two coaches.

think the only thing that saved her for another year was the injury to Michala Johnson. Wiscy MAY have reached the .500 mark in the Big Ten had she been healthy.

You're right that didn't help her cause, but basically if you think about it their program hasn't improved much at all since she's been there. She received a rollover last year on her contract and Alvarez said this "I think they're a better basketball team."  When you inherit a bad program and you’re turning it around,”  “the important thing is that you see improvement. I think that I’ve seen improvement." http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/256761071.html

What does he mean by "I think"? To me it sounds like he's not for sure and didn't watch their games.

Next year will be season 5 for her. And now this year he doesn't see enough improvement? 

I " think" the thing that saved her is that the Wisconsin athletic administration doesn't care about their women's basketball program. And they've started to look for ways where they can cut costs and it starts with the programs they don't care about.  It's evident among their fan support too as they're lucky to get 150-200 in attendance at some of their home games. What it sounds like "attendance" is the main thing and number he's looking at when he says he doesn't see enough improvement.

think the only thing that saved her for another year was the injury to Michala Johnson. Wiscy MAY have reached the .500 mark in the Big Ten had she been healthy.

You're right that didn't help her cause, but basically if you think about it their program hasn't improved much at all since she's been there. She received a rollover last year on her contract and Alvarez said this "I think they're a better basketball team."  When you inherit a bad program and you’re turning it around,”  “the important thing is that you see improvement. I think that I’ve seen improvement." http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/256761071.html

What does he mean by "I think"? To me it sounds like he's not for sure and didn't watch their games.

Next year will be season 5 for her. And now this year he doesn't see enough improvement? 

I " think" the thing that saved her is that the Wisconsin athletic administration doesn't care about their women's basketball program. And they've started to look for ways where they can cut costs and it starts with the programs they don't care about.  It's evident among their fan support too as they're lucky to get 150-200 in attendance at some of their home games. What it sounds like "attendance" is the main thing and number he's looking at when he says he doesn't see enough improvement.

all good points! seems like i had heard somewhere that wiscy was having problems with athletic budget. just think that is a little surprising.

all good points! seems like i had heard somewhere that wiscy was having problems with athletic budget. just think that is a little surprising.

You need to put I think, not just think

• 3 weeks later...

Wisconsin announces their non-conference schedule. The pressure to get wins to save the coaches rear end  is evident with this schedule. As is the rest of the league they're still waiting to hear who their opponent will be for the ACC/B1G challenge.

11/08/15 vs. Minnesota State # Kohl Center
11/12/15 vs. UW-Eau Claire # Kohl Center
11/15/15 vs. Louisiana Tech Kohl Center
11/18/15 vs. Drake University Kohl Center
11/22/15 at Dayton Dayton, Ohio
11/27/15 at San Diego State San Diego, CA
11/29/15 vs. Delaware San Diego, CA
12/06/15 at Marquette Milwaukee, Wis.
12/10/15 vs. Florida Kohl Center
12/13/15 vs. Green Bay Kohl Center
12/16/15 vs. NIU Kohl Center

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/051315aaa.html

going off the top of my head, wiscy should see AT LEAST 7 W's with that schedule. Green Bay usually puts out some pretty good teams---that could be a question mark. Dayton, Florida, and Marquette might fall into that "up in the air" category, also.

IMO, even if they have a great preseason, coach's job security will come down to how they compete in the big ten. with Johnson returning (provided rehab goes well), it should help. if wiscy can stay away from too many blowouts, and show improvement throughout the season, she will probably be safe. not sure what the "magic mark" might be, but, i will guess around that .500 mark.

Assistant coach Stacy Cantley has left the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball program to accept a similar position at Western Carolina.

Cantley, who coached the Badgers’ post players, was an original member of coach Bobbie Kelsey’s staff and spent four seasons at UW. She returns to Western Carolina, where she served as an assistant from 2001 to '04

Is she reading the writing on the wall? I'd say this is a step down.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-assistant-coach-stacy-cantley-leaves-uw/article_7962ed62-6ca7-5d9f-ab54-275d00dc3787.html

Assistant coach Stacy Cantley has left the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball program to accept a similar position at Western Carolina.

Cantley, who coached the Badgers’ post players, was an original member of coach Bobbie Kelsey’s staff and spent four seasons at UW. She returns to Western Carolina, where she served as an assistant from 2001 to '04

Is she reading the writing on the wall? I'd say this is a step down.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/badgers-women-s-basketball-assistant-coach-stacy-cantley-leaves-uw/article_7962ed62-6ca7-5d9f-ab54-275d00dc3787.html

could very well be right. guess it's called "staying ahead of the game".

• 1 month later...
Sasha Palmer, a native of Watertown, Wisconsin, has been named an assistant coach with the Wisconsin women's basketball program, head coach Bobbie Kelsey announced today. Palmer replaces Stacy Cantley, who took an assistant coaching job at Western Carolina University. Palmer will also serve as the Badgers’ recruiting coordinator in addition to her on-court coaching duties.

Palmer comes to Wisconsin after serving as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the past two seasons at Syracuse University.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/063015aaa.html

• 3 months later...