NCAA Basketball Rules Committee set to meet in May, consider changes

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/04/08/ncaa-rules-college-basketball-officiating-shot-clock-duke-wisconsin-bad-call/25466847/

Delany said games are being evaluated on a play-by-play basis for officiating accountability and for coaches, and he said eventually it will be for the public, too. They can find out, for example, 34 calls were right and three calls were unreasonably wrong. Accountability could help, as could transparency.

Accountability and transparency.  This is actually something I've been talking about this year.

Better yet, create an app and let each fan vote on close calls after the replay is on the big screen, American Idol style. 15,000 pairs of eyes are better than 3.

I volunteer PBA to be the first and only arena at which to test this app - I'd say 10-15+ years of testing are required to see if it works and before it could be employed in other arenas ... just long enough to get a good sample size of course.

Wow, finally. Would be great to have the refs told when they suck.

As for the Big ten replay rule, does anyone know the true reason for it? Do they think officials are swayed by booing fans? Because the fans boo anyway. Sometimes a replay showing that it was a correct call can soften the crowd. Are they trying to protect the officials? People eventually find out which calls sucked and find the replays anyway. And I think the rule is that they can't show any whistled play. Who judges what the can and can't show?

Too cumbersome to have everyone vote, throwback. Let's just turn it over to a "blue ribbon" panel. My nominations would be Norm, kidney, and JLo.

Thanks for the nomination, jimmy.  But I gotta think about this.  Seems like it'd be more difficult for me to complain about the calls if I'm the one making the calls.  Maybe there's a work-around.

Too cumbersome to have everyone vote, throwback. Let's just turn it over to a "blue ribbon" panel. My nominations would be Norm, kidney, and JLo.

Thanks for the nomination, jimmy.  But I gotta think about this.  Seems like it'd be more difficult for me to complain about the calls if I'm the one making the calls.  Maybe there's a work-around.

I say we just make Paul the Octopus do it...

octopus_1_custom.jpg

Can we get rid of the so called "Eurostep." It is traveling. The player is allowed one step and starting another prior to contacting the ground, not two and half steps.

That's not what a Eurostep is. A Eurostep is just a side step to go around a defender. It's a genius move and a move all quality players should have in their arsenal.

What you're talking about, I'm not sure there's a specific name for it (outside of just taking three steps basically). But quite frankly it's hard to call because what is happening is in between two things. I call it the "corral step," because it's that little extra step guys take while they are corralling their dribble - but if you execute it right, it's really hard to call it a travel because you technically have not stopped your dribble of the basketball and started your two steps with full control/possession of the basketball.

At the speeds these guys play the game, I just don't think there is an effective way of getting rid of that corral/hesitation/whatever step.

As for the Big ten replay rule, does anyone know the true reason for it? Do they think officials are swayed by booing fans? Because the fans boo anyway. Sometimes a replay showing that it was a correct call can soften the crowd. Are they trying to protect the officials? People eventually find out which calls sucked and find the replays anyway. And I think the rule is that they can't show any whistled play. Who judges what the can and can't show?

I have to admit I was one who was very upset with this new rule. But after attending a pair of Big Ten road games where replays were showed the entire game, I wondered if we were being duped by our own arena. Obviously there was probably a rule put in place somewhere, but I at least know not everyone is taking the rule as seriously as we are. And whoever is deeming the replay controversial at PBA, needs to lower his perception of controversial and just show them all.

I have to admit I was one who was very upset with this new rule. But after attending a pair of Big Ten road games where replays were showed the entire game, I wondered if we were being duped by our own arena. Obviously there was probably a rule put in place somewhere, but I at least know not everyone is taking the rule as seriously as we are. And whoever is deeming the replay controversial at PBA, needs to lower his perception of controversial and just show them all.

I think we have a series of unpopular changes that have been made that were given the explanation of **Shrug** "Big 10 rule" **Shrug**

Norm it would just be Karma