Will TP succeed as a Pro

Huskerpapa

That's too bad. I hope he gets picked up by another NBA team, but if he doesn't, he stands to sign a very lucrative pro contract overseas. He's the type of player who would be the star of his team and probably get at least $250K/year, if not substantially more. If teams were willing to offer Tai six figures out of high school from NZ, then Terran should be able to command quite a bit more.

Not a bad fallback plan, though it may not be in line with what he envisioned.

Here is some information on the matter:

Petteway . . . will become an unrestricted free agent. The guard/forward appeared in three exhibition games. He scored a total of five points, making both his field goal attempts including a 3-pointer. He also had four assists, a steal and a rebound in a total of 21:29. He has not played in the past three exhibition games as he was dealing with a right ankle

That last part of the write-up is unfortunate news with the timing of an injury being right before the start of the regular season. He'll come back to the NBA in due time, only now he'll have to earn his way back via the hard way, i.e. D-League or overseas...

That's too bad. I hope he gets picked up by another NBA team, but if he doesn't, he stands to sign a very lucrative pro contract overseas. He's the type of player who would be the star of his team and probably get at least $250K/year, if not substantially more. If teams were willing to offer Tai six figures out of high school from NZ, then Terran should be able to command quite a bit more.

Not a bad fallback plan, though it may not be in line with what he envisioned.

my guess is he will try the d-league. he was 2 roster spots away from making the team. so if 2 players get hurt for the hawks (which there is a good chance of happening), he might get called up.

a 10 day nba contract is 30k.

All the family issues set aside, I remain befuddled with the logic/advice that led him to declare for the draft after the rough season he had last year.  

I still remain firm in my stance that he would've been, at worst, in this same spot a year from now with a strong chance that he could've raised his NBA stock substantially with a bounce back season this year. 

This scenario was all too predictable, and I feel bad for him.  I don't want to put it all on coach but hopefully it serves as a tale in caution if we have a player considering leaving early, and whose NBA stock is as murky as TP's was.

I know we all want Petteway to make it into the NBA badly, but if you look at the situation objectively we should be glad that he's been able to make it this far. Now, I'm not an NBA/scouting expert whatsoever and I don't want to say we won't eventually make the NBA, but his attitude and determination for the game will certainly take him places.

This was him last week (before getting cut): “Nothing is going to come that fast,” Petteway said last week. “I have to be patient. If I get two minutes, if I get one minute, I just have to go out there and play by butt off for that whole one minute.”

I know we all want Petteway to make it into the NBA badly, but if you look at the situation objectively we should be glad that he's been able to make it this far. Now, I'm not an NBA/scouting expert whatsoever and I don't want to say we won't eventually make the NBA, but his attitude and determination for the game will certainly take him places.

This was him last week (before getting cut): “Nothing is going to come that fast,” Petteway said last week. “I have to be patient. If I get two minutes, if I get one minute, I just have to go out there and play by butt off for that whole one minute.”

He's following his dream, hope he sticks with it as long as he can; he's a gamer. Terran has a great outlook, considering Lamar Patterson also had to take the long road to get that last spot with the Hawks. It'll be TP5's turn at some point as long as he's able to endure the valleys of the trials of that long-road approach to get back to the peak.

All the family issues set aside, I remain befuddled with the logic/advice that led him to declare for the draft after the rough season he had last year.  

I still remain firm in my stance that he would've been, at worst, in this same spot a year from now with a strong chance that he could've raised his NBA stock substantially with a bounce back season this year. 

This scenario was all too predictable, and I feel bad for him.  I don't want to put it all on coach but hopefully it serves as a tale in caution if we have a player considering leaving early, and whose NBA stock is as murky as TP's was.

He would've been a 5th year senior.  He has his degree and will be getting paid to play basketball this year.  He made the best decision IMO for himself.  He wouldnt have raised his stock enough to overcome another year of getting older.

This scenario was all too predictable, and I feel bad for him. I don't want to put it all on coach but hopefully it serves as a tale in caution if we have a player considering leaving early, and whose NBA stock is as murky as TP's was.

He would've been a 5th year senior. He has his degree and will be getting paid to play basketball this year. He made the best decision IMO for himself. He wouldnt have raised his stock enough to overcome another year of getting older.

It doesn't matter at this point, but I also agree with Kamdy. With degree already completed, the only reasonable choice was to go make money playing basketball at whatever level Petteway landed (will land) at. Staying in school he obviously makes no money playing and could've only hurt his NBA chances. Yes he could've had a comeback year and 'proven himself' or whatever, but all that does is risk injury while becoming a year older. He now gets to 'prove himself' this year while making money doing it against pro competition.

Obviously his story has a lot to still be written.  Could end up making a team this year or next year or never.

Really what we are disputing here is a hypothetical senior season and how it might have benefited him.  I don't discount that opportunity as some others do.  I think playing in the best basketball conference in the country with every game on TV and scouts in the stands is a bit more of a positive than others.  

He didn't get drafted.  He barely played in the preseason and based on the timing of when he got cut, wasn't among the ones that legitimately were battling for an open spot, regardless of how us Husker fans viewed the situation.

He might essentially be right back at ground zero where Walt is and I don't think anybody is shouting off the rooftops to defend how great of a decision to it was for Walt to leave.

Petteway is now an unrestricted free agent. Other teams can now pick him up. But if they don't, he still earns a $75,000 payout from the Hawks.

In Atlanta's training camp, Petteway was one of six players competing for one roster spot. Only two players now remain in competition for that spot: a second year undrafted pro and a 34 year old 7 foot center. So, he came pretty close.

Other teams who showed significant interest in him before his contract with Atlanta (and who apparently remain in the mix to some degree) are Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons, Dallas Mavericks, Philladelphia 76ers, Charlotte Hornetts, Utah Jazz and Milwaukee Bucks.

Terran Petteway clearly made the right choice for himself and his family.

He's making real money. He's on the cusp of the highest level the game of basketball has to offer, and he has real and significant options for the future.

Good for him!!!

[P.S. Robin Washut is the source of detail information above, while the opinions are mine.]

Pre-season results:

MIN    FGM-A    3PM-A    FTM-A    +/-    PTS

Oct. 7 W 98-96 -- T. Petteway     9:20    1-1          1-1         0-0          0      3
Oct. 9 W 103-93 -- T. Petteway   9:35    1-1          0-0         0-0        +14    2
Oct. 14 W 100-86 -- T. Petteway 2:34    0-0          0-0         0-0          0      0
Oct. 16 W 91-84 -- T. Petteway   Did Not Play

Oct. 18 7 p.m. CDT
Oct. 21 7 p.m. CDT
Oct. 23 6:30 p.m. CDT

Regular season: Oct. 27 7 p.m. CDT

Oct. 18 L 92-101 -- T. Petteway   Did Not Play

Oct. 21 L 81-82 -- T. Petteway   Did Not Play

For what it's worth... Oct. 23 L 87-115. Hawks were 3-0 when Petteway played and 1-3 when he didn't. That's science.

He barely played in the preseason and based on the timing of when he got cut, wasn't among the ones that legitimately were battling for an open spot, regardless of how us Husker fans viewed the situation.

I don't think the Hawks bring him in unless he had a legit change to make the team. He was unlucky with the timing of his ankle....if someone else had been unlucky he very well might have made the team. Atlanta Hawk fans sites basically had the final spot down to Patterson or Petteway so it's not like our bias was unfounded or unrealistic.

He barely played in the preseason and based on the timing of when he got cut, wasn't among the ones that legitimately were battling for an open spot, regardless of how us Husker fans viewed the situation.

I don't think the Hawks bring him in unless he had a legit change to make the team. He was unlucky with the timing of his ankle....if someone else had been unlucky he very well might have made the team. Atlanta Hawk fans sites basically had the final spot down to Patterson or Petteway so it's not like our bias was unfounded or unrealistic.

To your point, it really could be a different story if he didn't have an injury. But it would also be misrepresenting to not say that Patterson was a "favorite" going into Vegas play (if that double negative made sense...)

Patterson won the final spot

From what I saw in Summer League, Terran had more highlight plays/hot streaks, but Patterson was more consistent. Anyway . . . we'll see what happens re: NBA roster news during the next few days. Monday afternoon is the deadline for teams to cut their rosters down to 15 (max). Teams may choose to carry fewer players going into the regular season so they can sign free agents if needed. There's a possibility (albeit not a big one) TP could be claimed off waivers.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk