Good thing Nebrasketball is...

Good thing Nebrasketball is taking that foreign trip this off-season as 8 players have left the program, roughly half the roster (5 graduated, 2 left for pro's & 1 transfer). NU's new roster will be given time to mesh on a trip overseas... Just wanted to remind other Husker Hoops fans that the upcoming season is starting sooner than most with the late summer trip to Europe, specifically Spain.

From an earlier story in OWH (3/10/15):

Nebraska has scheduled an August basketball tour to Spain for exhibition games. Practice is allowed 10 times before the trip. No more than 10 games can be played.

The NCAA manual states that schools may take one foreign trip every four years, but not in a season in which games are to be played in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico or the preseason NIT. Incoming freshmen and junior college transfers are eligible if they earn three credit hours in the summer before the trip begins.

Are you including any walk-ons in your list of players who graduated?

Because I count only 3 scholarship guys graduating (if you don't count Terran), two turning pro and one transferring.  That's 6.

Which is still almost half, but doesn't sound quite as bad.

Yeah, the 8 includes Trevor Menke & Kye Kurkowski. Both players were around for 4+ years... walk-ons are people, too. ;)

Here's a handy-dandy Nebrasketball roster for upcoming seasons that dimes put together: http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/scholarships

BTW, practice players are an integral part of the team. Just because they're not 'stars' or game contributors doesn't mean they're not important cogs in the wheel of Nebrasketball. Look no further than the football team, built on the backs of walk-ons for generations. GBR!

True.  Walkons are very important cogs in the wheel.  But to paraphrase the late, great Josef Stalin, "The walkons?  How many points have the walkons scored?"

BTW, practice players are an integral part of the team. Just because they're not 'stars' or game contributors doesn't mean they're not important cogs in the wheel of Nebrasketball. Look no further than the football team, built on the backs of walk-ons for generations. GBR!

True.  Walkons are very important cogs in the wheel.  But to paraphrase the late, great Josef Stalin, "The walkons?  How many points have the walkons scored?"

Menke scored 10 & Kurkowski 6. Their assets, though, go far beyond the final score: Toughness, will-to-succeed while counting the cost, integrity, grit, togetherness, communication, being great teammates, etc...

Oh, if only Kye Kurkowski had one more year... ;)

Why, do we need someone who can dunk in warm-ups?

Well that was his one and only dunk at NU

And a pretty one it was.

He should have 360'd it and really made an impression on the ref's.  At least he made the box score that game.

Auroran, when I look at rosters and roster turnover, I generally don't include the walk-ons just because they're not really pertinent to the issue you were addressing in your OP.  You're talking about the value and benefit of an overseas pre-season trip so that "NU's new roster will be given time to mesh on a trip overseas."  That will be important but only for the guys who are expected to see minutes when the games go live, and that doesn't typically include the walk-ons.

I think the walk-ons are great, and we need them.  But who and how good our walk-ons are doesn't typically translate into success on the floor.  Was Trevor Menke more valuable to the program than Mike Fox?  If so, how do you measure his added value?  Was he more valuable than Nick Krenk?  Will he be any more valuable than the next set of walk-ons that come through the door, including guys like Johnny Trueblood?

On the other hand, can we measure differences in contributions between the two guys who decided to go pro after their junior years?  Oh, you betcha.  When you talk about roster turnover as it relates to how quickly we'll need to blend in a bunch of new players, I'd argue the only roster turnover that really matters when it comes to the W/L column are the guys getting their school paid for.

Auroran, when I look at rosters and roster turnover, I generally don't include the walk-ons just because they're not really pertinent to the issue you were addressing in your OP.  You're talking about the value and benefit of an overseas pre-season trip so that "NU's new roster will be given time to mesh on a trip overseas."  That will be important but only for the guys who are expected to see minutes when the games go live, and that doesn't typically include the walk-ons.

I think the walk-ons are great, and we need them.  But who and how good our walk-ons are doesn't typically translate into success on the floor.  Was Trevor Menke more valuable to the program than Mike Fox?  If so, how do you measure his added value?  Was he more valuable than Nick Krenk?  Will he be any more valuable than the next set of walk-ons that come through the door, including guys like Johnny Trueblood?

On the other hand, can we measure differences in contributions between the two guys who decided to go pro after their junior years?  Oh, you betcha.  When you talk about roster turnover as it relates to how quickly we'll need to blend in a bunch of new players, I'd argue the only roster turnover that really matters when it comes to the W/L column are the guys getting their school paid for.

Well, unless we find the next Scottie Pippen who was a skinny 6' 1" walk-on at Central Arkansas U. So, all Miles needs to do is find an athletic walk-on who will have a huge growth spurt and turn into an NBA All-Star! ;)

Well, unless we find the next Scottie Pippen who was a skinny 6' 1" walk-on at Central Arkansas U. So, all Miles needs to do is find an athletic walk-on who will have a huge growth spurt and turn into an NBA All-Star! ;)

THAT'S the ticket! 

Y'know, with all the comings and goings, I've honestly lost track of how many spots we have available.  Fortunately, I think we have unlimited positions available for walk-ons.  Miles needs to have an assistant in charge of beating the bushes for a kid about to go on a huge growth spurt that will turn him into an NBA All-Star.

THAT'S the ticket! 

Y'know, with all the comings and goings, I've honestly lost track of how many spots we have available.  Fortunately, I think we have unlimited positions available for walk-ons.  Miles needs to have an assistant in charge of beating the bushes for a kid about to go on a huge growth spurt that will turn him into an NBA All-Star.

If you think "meshing" is typically related to "on the court" in a game situation, then chemistry of the team dynamic apparently isn't all that important in the grand scheme of a team concept.  IMHO, that was a HUGE issue this past season. I believe the team being able to mesh on a trip overseas in every situation is a critical factor to the team doing well on the court by meshing well off the court. Not sure why the walk-ons wouldn't be important to this discussion, seems kind of odd to discount the role of walk-ons in a program like Nebraska's given that the football program relies on 'em for their utility & occasionally they contribute in a more meaningful way 'on the field'.

Bite your tongue for even suggesting otherwise!