Gavitt Tipoff Games - 2015

The Big Ten and the Big East announced last May that a new partnership, the Gavitt Tipoff Games (an annual series of eight games between the two conferences), will run through 2020... next week the matchups will likely be known for 2015, which will occur around the opening weekend of the upcoming season.

* * * U P D A T E D * * * 

Gavitt Games 2015

Nebraska @ Villanova
Rutgers @ St John's
Creighton @ Indiana
Xavier @ Michigan

Illinois @ Providence

Georgetown @ Maryland

Iowa @ Marquette

DePaul @ Penn St

Does that mean we'll play Creighton twice? Just a thought...

I don't think we're in it at all this year.  The NU - Creighton game will occur as it normally does, it just isn't part of the Gavitt Games.

And if we were participating, we would be playing someone other than Creighton...that series would continue to be played as usual but not be part of the Gavitt Games.

I don't think we're in it at all this year.  The NU - Creighton game will occur as it normally does, it just isn't part of the Gavitt Games.

And if we were participating, we would be playing someone other than Creighton...that series would continue to be played as usual but not be part of the Gavitt Games.

Do you happen to know which 4 teams are not participating from the Big Ten?

You mean 6?

You mean 6?

B1G = 14

BE = 10

You mean 6?

B1G = 14

BE = 10

Good call. You original post states that it's a 8 game series though. I wonder how they'll handle the rotation in later years to ensure teams get a fair chance at playing in the challenge.

You mean 6?

B1G = 14

BE = 10

Good call. You original post states that it's a 8 game series though. I wonder how they'll handle the rotation in later years to ensure teams get a fair chance at playing in the challenge.

Thought it meant 8-yr deal when the 8 was mentioned.... strange that neither conference will have all members in it annually. Wonder why all ten BE teams aren't participating every year?!?  It's hardly a true "challenge" event for braggin' rights when the leagues can cherry-pick teams to play in it.... ((shrugs))

I would think the B1G would have to give teams a heads-up well in advance of when they're scheduled to play in this series, just so they can balance the remainder of the schedule to get enough home games to meet budgets, when they can start home and homes, etc. So I'd imagine most of the teams involved already know.  

Or maybe the B1G allows teams to request when they'd like to be involved in the BE-B1G, whether they'd prefer home/road, etc.

Since we haven't had any hints about a new home and home to replace Cincy, and our only true road game at this point is at Century Link against *********, and we should be home in the ACC-B1G challenge, I suppose it's possible we could be assigned a road game in this challenge.

Rules for the BE-B1G challenge are:

Two games will be played on the first Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the regular season, played at school home sites -- four at a Big East school, four at a Big Ten school.

Each Big East team will play a minimum of six times during the length of the eight-year deal, and each Big Ten program will participate at least four times.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10882667/big-east-big-ten-hold-challenge-series

Interesting that it looks like NU and Wisconsin are really the only teams that play their in-state BE team on a regular basis. I think Indiana & Butler have played a few times recently? I'd imagine this series is going to force Illinois-DePaul, Maryland-G'town, Ohio St-Xavier, etc, games that seem to have been avoided in the recent past. 

I'd be a little surprised if the B1G teams signed off on this series if there was the potential they were going to get in-state games for all 4 times they played, ie, Illinois being assigned DePaul 4 times, so maybe there's assurances they'll only get their in-state counterpart once or twice, or assurances that you'll meet a different opponent each time you're in the series.

Or maybe there's a clause preventing some those matchups. Can't imagine Ohio State would be too pleased to get sent to Cincinnati to play Xavier as part of this for instance, as the Buckeyes have really avoided in-state games vs non-MAC teams. http://archive.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20140320/SPORTS/303200015/Time-Ohio-State-get-Dayton-Xavier-Cincinnati-schedule

And perhaps NU-********* is part of this series at some point, just to give both teams a little more schduling flexibility in a particular season. Such as, the annual regular season game would just be part of the series in that particular year. And maybe the same for Wisky-Marq.

Don't forget the white-hot rivalry games featuring Penn St. vs Villanova and Rutgers vs Seton Hall throwback!  Ratings blockbusters those are!

Yeah I'm not sure Rutgers & Seton Hall even know the other has a basketball program. And 'Nova fans can't find State College on a map ... nor would they want to.  ;)

But when Rutgers and Seton Hall knock heads in crew, look out. They row for blood that day.

Gozer the Traveller, he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveller came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex Supplicants they chose a new form for him... that of a Giant Sloar! many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be Creaned in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

49r and Dimes: I stand in awe of your literary prowess. However any appreciation must be tempered by the sleep deprivation elicited by me watching every single pitch of the 7+ hour, 19 inning Red Sox/Yankee marathon last night. Never has an extremely shallow sacrifice fly been celebrated more vigorously. This feat may well represent the crowning achievement of my legendary sports viewing career and qualify me for the Sportsfan Hall of Fame.

49r and Dimes: I stand in awe of your literary prowess. However any appreciation must be tempered by the sleep deprivation elicited by me watching every single pitch of the 7+ hour, 19 inning Red Sox/Yankee marathon last night. Never has an extremely shallow sacrifice fly been celebrated more vigorously. This feat may well represent the crowning achievement of my legendary sports viewing career and qualify me for the Sportsfan Hall of Fame.

I stayed up until the 18th inning ;)

I stayed up until the 18th inning ;)

Ahhh... the classic 2 games for 1 deal.