Pitchford

bball23

Can he stay?  Serious question.

Would it be possible for all parties involved to see that the best thing for him AND the program is that he stays and competes next year?

I can't imagine Miles would be so petty.  Obviously this kid won't get drafted.  I just don't get it.  

Nah.  I think we are a better team without him.  Thought he should have been benched early this past season.

Can he stay?  Serious question.

Would it be possible for all parties involved to see that the best thing for him AND the program is that he stays and competes next year?

I can't imagine Miles would be so petty.  Obviously this kid won't get drafted.  I just don't get it.  

Nah.  I think we are a better team without him.  Thought he should have been benched early this past season.

Agreed

Reminds me of when Ryan Anderson shopped the draft. 

I've been a Walt supporter all the way.  The past few days have made me scratch my head, but I just want the best for the people NU turns out. 

Pro, no pro.  MBA, no MBA.  I don't care.  You gave me excitement when I gave you nothing.  I can't, in good faith, question any thing you're doing. 

Here's to pick #58 for you Walt. 

Head case.  I didn't pile on earlier this week when he announced his departure.  If he wants to talk about a masters degree, his business ideas, and moving on from basketball, fine.  But to switch gears in a few days to "basketball is my life" is just bizarre.  Not to mention disingenuous, dishonest, whatever.     I don't typically bash college players, but this guy's not too young to have some accountability for his public drivel.  Lot of maturing needed for this guy.  

I don't get all the Walter hate. Calling him a quitter and all that. It's fairly obvious that Miles told him he wasn't playing here next season. So what else was he supposed to do? He doesn't have the credits lined up to graduate and do the 5th year transfer thing. He wants to continue to play ball, which he can't do here, and while he won't be drafted (obviously) it's the best way to put his name out for any kind of professional career.

you really think miles told him to leave when hammond is our only player over 6'8 left on the roster?

Not say he did, not saying he didn't here....but if (hypothetically) Walter wasn't willing to do what was necessary...then yes...Miles is going to tell him to leave....regardless of what our depth looks like,    You saw what bad chemistry can do to a team this year.

And it is also debateable if we would have got the nice win over Michigan St. if he had not been ejected.  It is possible that he was a detriment to our chemistry(not saying it was a detrimient). 

I don't get all the Walter hate. Calling him a quitter and all that. It's fairly obvious that Miles told him he wasn't playing here next season. So what else was he supposed to do? He doesn't have the credits lined up to graduate and do the 5th year transfer thing. He wants to continue to play ball, which he can't do here, and while he won't be drafted (obviously) it's the best way to put his name out for any kind of professional career.

you really think miles told him to leave when hammond is our only player over 6'8 left on the roster?

Not say he did, not saying he didn't here....but if (hypothetically) Walter wasn't willing to do what was necessary...then yes...Miles is going to tell him to leave....regardless of what our depth looks like,    You saw what bad chemistry can do to a team this year.

And it is also debateable if we would have got the nice win over Michigan St. if he had not been ejected.  It is possible that he was a detriment to our chemistry(not saying it was a detrimient). 

Agreed

Pretty sad story here. It happens at every level in any sport. Friends/family plant ideas in players minds that their talents are not being recognized and developed and they will do much better by moving on. The truly successful players can ignore what they are told and realize where their deficiencies lie and how to improve or else accept a limited role as a team player. Unfortunately expectations and reality eventually intersect and people then are left to deal with their limitations and move on with life. Perhaps the most positive thing I can derive from Mr. Pitchford's tale is that I have now accumulated a solid base of Walter avatars.

Pretty sad story here. It happens at every level in any sport. Friends/family plant ideas in players minds that their talents are not being recognized and developed and they will do much better by moving on. The truly successful players can ignore what they are told and realize where their deficiencies lie and how to improve or else accept a limited role as a team player. Unfortunately expectations and reality eventually intersect and people then are left to deal with their limitations and move on with life. Perhaps the most positive thing I can derive from Mr. Pitchford's tale is that I have now accumulated a solid base of Walter avatars.

Well said, Jimmy.  And FWIW, I see this in my profession as well with young professionals entering the field.  You describe the situation to a T.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In the continuing saga of where's Walter, we find today that he (allegedly) has signed to play pro ball in Europe now for OIimpi Tbilisi of the Georgian Superleage:

***Disclaimer***  I could find no news other than this tweet from who I can only presume is his agent.

Fun fact, Leslee Smith played last season for Olimpi Tbilisi and was apparently one of their top scorers.  Maybe he played a role in landing the gig for Walt P?

In the continuing saga of where's Walter, we find today that he (allegedly) has signed to play pro ball in Europe now for OIimpi Tbilisi of the Georgian Superleage:

***Disclaimer***  I could find no news other than this tweet from who I can only presume is his agent.

Fun fact, Leslee Smith played last season for Olimpi Tbilisi and was apparently one of their top scorers.  Maybe he played a role in landing the gig for Walt P?

Says he's a center.   That funny.