I really shouldn't do this, but ... I just can't wait 24-48 hours

I'm sorry, but I have to speculate.  I just have to.  Reading tea leaves, all of that, there will be some departures.  Kye Kurkowski is GONE.  Menke, too.  Perhaps others.

Here's me placing some odds based on nothing more than gut sense.  (% = chances of returning -- rounding up, because you never know, he might cross paths with a drunk driver, Heaven forfend.)

Terran -- 25%

Shavon -- 100%

Benny -- 100%

Walt -- 85% 0%

Tai -- 85%

Andrew -- 100%

Nick -- 40%

Jacob -- 90%

Tarin -- 70% 0%

Ed -- 100%

Glynn -- 100%

Michael -- 100%

Jack -- 85% (ink's not dry yet because there ain't no ink yet.)

Mike -- 0.1%

The reason I broached the topics is, let's say Terran turns pro and Nick turns D-2 ...

Can a freshman phenom beat out a 4th year part-time starter at point?

If Terran leaves, does that open a spot in the starting lineup for a kid like Ed Morrow?

So, here's how I kind of see things falling into place:

PG -- I see Benny starting at least at first.  If Glynn Watson isn't better than Tarin Smith virtually from the get-go, then he's over-rated.  Benny has experience and effort to his advantage and does things that the coaches expect that the average fan won't necessarily see.  Glynn will probably be the primary back-up.  At least at first.

SG -- I see Tai Webster here.  Tarin might have some opportunities to find the court here, but he has to drastically improve his shot.  Actually, they both do.  Perhaps our weakest position on the floor -- shooting guards who don't shoot the ball well.

SF -- Andrew White can put his name in this spot in permanent ink.  He. Will. Start.

PF -- Shavon Shields.  I think if Ed Morrow proves himself to be good enough -- and he might very well do this -- then he starts at the PF position, Shavon slides to the 3 and Andrew supplants Tai at the 2.  Regardless of whether Ed works his way into the starting lineup or not, I see us really benefiting from his motor.  The kid brings it.  It's said he is a relentless competitor.  He will command time right away and make us a better team almost from the get-go.  And, by "better," hell, even 6 pts and 4 bds would be an improvement on David Rivers.  So use that as the benchmark.

C -- Mike Edwards if he commits.  Otherwise, Walt Pitchford.  Obviously, I'm kidding about Mike Edwards because I think Michigan will eventually offer once Caris Levert decides to turn pro.  But Walt has had 3 seasons in the system to develop as a 5 instead of a tall shooting guard, and it hasn't happened.  I'd love if it did, but if it was going to happen, it probably already would have.  So, for better or for worse, I think we're stuck with a starting center who doesn't like to rebound, or play interior defense, really doesn't care for contact, has no interest in developing post moves, etc.  I'd love it if Jacob Hammond could transform himself over the summer into a serviceable big man, but that's not real likely either.  Honestly, being totally candid here, I think if Mike Edwards did commit to us, he could very well vault into the starting lineup because our other bigs just aren't going to do much to stop him.

McVeigh is sort of an "X" factor in all of this.  If he's the shooter/scorer that Miles has implied (that 180% guy), he could find a lot of minutes at the 2 or 3.  If he is, that would give us four newcomers who would factor in the playing rotation.  Top returners, in my mind, would be Benny, Tai, Shavon and Walt.  So, that would be my top 8 if McVeigh is all that.

In order to improve on last season, this ball club has to get its collective head right.  It wasn't there this year and there might be a lot of reasons for that.  But bottom line, it wasn't there and we lost a lot of games.  We could win a lot of games next year, but only if the guys pull themselves out of their collective funk.  I think Shavon is as top-notch of a leader out there as we could ask for.  Both he and Benny.  I just expect Shavon to come back as a headier, more consistent version of what we saw two years ago.  And I think there's a virtual certainty that we're going to get better shot selection and better perimeter shooting percentage from Andrew than we got from Terran. 

There is certainly potential for this to be a better team than this past season and maybe even better than two years ago.  But they have to get their minds right and the infusion of some talented players could go a long way toward making that happen.

We need a graduate transfer big in the worst way.  Someone to play a lot and that can put the ball in the basket sometimes.  I used to think you can win with an athletic unpolished offensive center.  Maybe we can, but we don't even have that.  What I don't think you can do very easily is win consistently with poor interior players.  Used to think it was more possible than I do now.  

Let me just add this to that:

If Jack McVeigh winds up good enough to crack the top 8 rotation, we should be pretty good next year.

But who plays center when Walt's not in the game?

Who plays "center" when Walt IS in the game?!? ... ;)

tumblr_mwz5n31ZG61qb0snwo8_r1_250.gif

...and just FTR, I like Walt P 4 3.  I think he's a good kid.

But that was a sick burn, bro.  :D

This was certainly out of the blue.  I mean seriously... who woulda thunk that he would give up a season of eligibility.  This is certainly a game changer and we have some work to do on the recruiting trail now.

Wonder if the coaches knew this was coming given they have been hitting the road for 2015 kids so hard.

If Jack McVeigh winds up good enough to crack the top 8 rotation, we should be pretty good next year.

But that was a sick burn, bro.   :D

Careful: you might get a different BOOM gif...

T0eimzl.gif

But that was a sick burn, bro.   :D

What can I say, the truth hurts...   B)

9er: Nothing against Walt P for 3, but he was a 2-guard in his mind ... but I concur, Walt's going to be fine. So will Nebrasketball.