Miles to Start Team Meetings today

Red Don

But, seriously, can you say "quitter"? 

He has some work to do on some things.  His shot isn't falling.  But, hell, make yourself a more complete player so that you can contribute points even when the perimter shot is off.

But QUITTING?

I got no patience for that.  Thanks, Walt, for confirming the things about you I was afraid of but uncertain of.

I dont like quitting but if his heart wasnt in it, and he knew he was only hurting the team, at least he was man enough to step away so they could use his spot for someone else.

The whole story is strange. I expect the real reason for Walt leaving will eventually come out. I just hope it has nothing to do with the relentless pressure induced by  " The year of the Walter."

I have my thoughts.  Hopefully leaving basketball are his first steps getting things figured out.

Far and away the #1 thing they will tell him is to get stronger. He will need to live in the weight room. When he's not in there, he needs to work on his shot and ball handling

If you were Coach Miles, what would you tell TSmith he needs to be improve upon?

- Put more effort into defense

- Keep his eyes open when he's driving to the hole....you can see his tunnel vision sometimes when he has the ball and he decides he's going to score. That doesn't work so well against some the 6'9" rim protectors in the conference.

If you were Coach Miles, what would you tell TSmith he needs to be improve upon?

- Keep his eyes open when he's driving to the hole....you can see his tunnel vision sometimes when he has the ball and he decides he's going to score. That doesn't work so well against some the 6'9" rim protectors in the conference.

It could easily be a situation where he was not asked back for some reason.  And he just opted to not go play somewhere else for that last year and finish school here. 

How are you able to transfer without a degree or a redshirt. This is year 4 for him....is he close to graduate this summer, next fall, or will he need another year?

It could easily be a situation where he was not asked back for some reason.  And he just opted to not go play somewhere else for that last year and finish school here. 

How are you able to transfer without a degree or a redshirt. This is year 4 for him....is he close to graduate this summer, next fall, or will he need another year?

I am not sure on graduating status, but he could go to a lower level school I guess.  But good point, his Division 1 options appear to be impossible. 

He has some work to do on some things.  His shot isn't falling.  But, hell, make yourself a more complete player so that you can contribute points even when the perimter shot is off.

But QUITTING?

I got no patience for that.  Thanks, Walt, for confirming the things about you I was afraid of but uncertain of.

I dont like quitting but if his heart wasnt in it, and he knew he was only hurting the team, at least he was man enough to step away so they could use his spot for someone else.

Manly quitting.  Hmmm.

I'm bummed because Walt was such a key player for one of the best stretch runs in Nebraska history. That said, that player was gone, and I didn't like the Walt who showed up this year. I won't miss that version.

I mourn for what should have been.

But QUITTING?

Harsh.  

I think what Norm is most upset about is that Pitchford didn't wait until the end of the season to quit. He appears to have done it halfway through the season.

It's a curious case, reminds me of Ross Pilkington for the football team about 10 years ago. He had been a JR captain, and then he finished up his degree as a SR (instead of playing for a new coach, albeit).

Sounds like the player meetings are being postponed:

https://twitter.com/huskerextrabr/status/582651646569664512

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we thinking that the Pitchford news caused a change in plans? Maybe the staff decided that one or more of the big guys needs to stay around instead of looking to play closer to home?

Walter Pitchford did not appear to be enjoying himself as much this year as last, and there seems to be some question regarding his commitment to do what is necessary to improve his game. A question I had was how does the coaching staff pull the scholarship of a player they had recruited (ostensibly to open room for a new recruit) during his Senior year after having been a starter the past two seasons? Now it seems he has effectively done that himself, by leaving the program.

Looking on the bright side, I take this as an indication that corrective measures addressing the deficiencies in last season play are already being taken. 

Edit:  I didn't realize that Walter had made the Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll (for the second year running) mfclap.gif so in that light his decision may make a little more sense.

Not knowing the story behind the story, the Walter new sure is a setback in terms of experience next year. Suppose that's why Miles went out of his way to make say Hammond is coming back.  If TP doesn't return, it's going to be very inexperienced team. Exciting young talent, but hasn't performed under fire.

But QUITTING?

Pretty harsh statement about a young kid that decides to put a career before playing college basketball.  You call it quitting, I call it making a mature decision.

Calling Pitchford a "quitter" is a bit harsh even though I was tempted to do so when I first heard he was leaving the team.

Here's how I look at it. God gave Walter many gifts with some of the obvious ones being intelligence, height and coordination. It seems to me that he has utilized his intelligence on and off the court and he has utilized his coordination to shoot the ball although the accuracy was certainly missing this season.

On the negative side, I have never seen a 6'10 basketball player who has played any "shorter" than he did over the last two seasons both on offense and on defense and in rebounding on both ends of the floor. Anyone who has played basketball knows that rebounding results are positively affected by "effort" and "tenancity" as evidenced by the many 6'4 players around the country that are accomplished rebounders.

I suppose you could say that Walter was forced to play out of position and that's not fair....blah, blah, blah.

How many of us wouldn't have loved to be "forced" to play "out of position" in a D1 sport, while getting a full ride, having chicks chasing you, enjoying the best athletic facilities and the best fans in the world world. I could go on and on. Most, if not all of us would say: "Where do I sign up?"

So, I will refrain from calling Walter a "quitter". However, unless there is more to the story and there may be, it looks like he did "quit" on his teammates by not getting over the "I" part and by working harder than he did to do what he was asked to do to help them and Coach Miles to win games.

I wish him well. And, by the way, he is showing good judgment in getting a masters in business, as his ethnic studies major is pretty worthless in my opinion. I know I probably violated some PC rule by saying that but practically speaking I am quite confident that there are many more people majoring in it then there are professorship openings to teach it. I wish Walter nothing but good luck in his business career.