Rick Barnes Fired at Texas

HuskerBB

Really tough to be a college coach these days.  I did not follow them closely this year not being in the same conference and know they struggled at times.  That said they made the NCAA tournament this season - and Barnes has been by far the most successful basketball coach they have ever had at Texas over the long term.  You would think his record of success would mean something but instead I guess he is a victim of his own success as it apparently just created higher expectations.

It seemed Texas had been down for awhile, and maybe it was time for a change.  Barnes seems to be a good coach.  He has taken Texas to the NCAA tourney 16 out of 17 years.  Nebraska fans would take that.  It seems to be like our football team.  We fired a coach who went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-3.  A lot of outsiders look at that as "What the hell are you doing?"  Nebraska fans look at it, as "It's just not good enough for our program." 

It seemed Texas had been down for awhile, and maybe it was time for a change.  Barnes seems to be a good coach.  He has taken Texas to the NCAA tourney 16 out of 17 years.  Nebraska fans would take that.  It seems to be like our football team.  We fired a coach who went 9-4, 10-4, 10-4, 9-4, 10-4, 9-4, and 9-3.  A lot of outsiders look at that as "What the hell are you doing?"  Nebraska fans look at it, as "It's just not good enough for our program."

Was Rick Barnes ever a public embarrassment for Texas?

Did Rick Barnes ever put a historically bad defense (his speciality) on the court for Texas?

Did Rick Barnes ever publicly bitch about how hard his job was at Texas?

I don't think a lot of outsiders are wondering what the hell we're doing. Dude got a job in a lower division, for crying out loud. No one wants the guy to be his coach. I bet Rick Barnes lands a better job than Pelini did, respectively.

A coach, like a doughnut, has a shelf life. It may still look good through the showcase, but if the customer (fan base) has seen the same one long enough it will appear stale. Sometimes it is just better to send it to the day old store where it will be appreciated, and replace it with a cruller. This may work out well like it did for Altman. (Please note, I expect an up arrow from Silverback for this analogy).

A coach, like a doughnut, has a shelf life. It may still look good through the showcase, but if the customer (fan base) has seen the same one long enough it will appear stale. Sometimes it is just better to send it to the day old store where it will be appreciated, and replace it with a cruller. This may work out well like it did for Altman. (Please note, I expect an up arrow from Silverback for this analogy).

Silverbacks account have been moved to a one green arrow per thread basis.  Mods came to the conclusion that he was giving too many green arrows.  Now using my Big Daddy reference.... Silver wasted the good green arrow on you!

(PS.... I expect a green arrow for creativity here too Silver)  :D 

Man, if recruiting Kevin Durant, TJ Ford and Lamarcus Aldridge isn't enough, getting to a final 4 isn't enough, and if I'm not mistaken 16 NCAA trips in 17 years isn't enough, I'd be pretty careful before taking that job.  It's not like they have the history and tradition of Kentucky or Kansas.  I guess everything is bigger in Texas.....

Rick Barnes is a class act.  It is not easy coaching at Texas due to very high expectations.  The Frank Erwin Center needs to be replaced as the new Medical School is going to be built there.  Funds need to be raised.  The big donors must be unhappy that the program has gone "stale."  Steve Patterson, the AD, is very much a business man worried about the bottom line.  The worry is that the fund raising for the new basketball arena would not proceed if Barnes remained.  

Texas needs to build a basketball arena and not a multipurpose center.  They need to give priority seating to students so that a true home court atmosphere can be developed.  Getting talent to come to Austin will never be a problem, getting butts in the seats for games will be a problem unless KU is in town.  

Some school will get a fine coach in Rick Barnes, if he wants to coach.  His family loves Austin so they may not move.

Steve Patterson, the AD, is very much a business man worried about the bottom line.  

The name of the guy who fired Barnes was Steve Patterson?  Really?  Didn't even pick that up until you mentioned that, Cazzie.  What is it with AD's with the initials with SP anyway?  You really cannot make stuff like this up. ;)

Seems like Greg Marshall is the next presumed target for the Longhorns, right?  I wonder how excited Greg would be to work for someone who is going to make your staff decisions for you?  I'm thinking not, but who knows.