The refs suck - NCAA tournament edition

brfrad

It seems like for tournament games (probably not practical for all regular season games) that they should go to a panel or centralized replay review group to make the calls. I bet they could come to a consensus on calls and make clock adjustments faster than the refs on the floor can when they huddle and look at the tiny monitor. Sort of like nfl did.

They're allowed to review these calls inside of 2 minutes. 

There's a reason they allow review inside of 2 minutes:

Because it's important to get it right when the outcome is on the line.

Especially important in the national title game.

So, if it's important enough to allow replay to get it right inside of the last 2 minutes of the national title game ...

Why not make sure you get it right?

Why was the officiating so different in the first half to the 2nd half?

Bo Ryan owes no apologies to anyone.  He said what he felt about the "rental" players.  He does a great job of developing players and getting the most out of the talent he has at his disposal.  Of course one liberal hack for USA Today said that Wisconsin was "too white!"  Gee, did n't the "white" kid for Duke get them back in the game???  Maybe he shouldn't have been allowed to play. 

It's funny how Wisconsin can have 2 fouls in one half, and in the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half be in the double bonus.

I totally agree.  When Tyus Jones was able to drive, lean into a vertical defender and get the call...something is wrong.  Winslow should have been out of the game with charges that were not called.  I guess the breaks even out over time...Duke seems to get their share.  

Kaminsky, 39 minutes, only one foul.

Okafor, only 22 minutes because of 4 fouls.

Referees were obviously doing their best to help Duke win?

Bo Ryan doesn't dig one-and-done players?  Soooo.....he didn't really want Diamond Stone?

Only 4 called fouls. 

Even crooked refs have to try to make it look legit. 

Frank Kaminsky woke up this morning with Okafor's shoulder tat imprinted on his chest.

I must have missed Izzo complaining about the crooked refs after the B1G Championship Game.  Gasser stepping on top of the sideline as he ran out of bounds to save the ball, to save the game for Wisconsin, was way more blatant than the call last night.

One coach has class.  The other doesn't.

They're allowed to review these calls inside of 2 minutes. 

There's a reason they allow review inside of 2 minutes:

Because it's important to get it right when the outcome is on the line.

Especially important in the national title game.

So, if it's important enough to allow replay to get it right inside of the last 2 minutes of the national title game ...

Why not make sure you get it right?

So my issue with this is what is something happens at 2:01 left instead of 1:59 left?  I think it's important to get it correct but something outside of the 2 minute mark can have a huge impact on the outcome as well.  I certainly don't want the ref's to go running to the monitor all game long but always thought this was kind of a strange policy that things can only be reviewed in last 2 minutes.