NCAA 2015: The Thread

hhcmatt

Wichita straight up WORKED Kansas today.

What do you suppose the odds are that Gregg Marshall is the Texas coach in about 3 weeks?

Didn't he turn down some interviews over the last couple of years?

A few, yes.  Including one for the Nebraska job.  But I can see Texas making him an offer he just can't refuse.  Like $5 million+ per.  Just because they can.

Disagree.  I mean I don't doubt that Bama is gonna go after him, but I doubt he gives them the time of day.  He's a spotlight kinda guy and hoops at Bama takes too much of a backseat to football.

If it was just about money, he would have gone to UCLA two years ago or Missouri last year.  Each of those were willing to offer Marshall $3+ million and both have much much more appeal from a coaching standpoint than 'Bama.  Also, he knows that whatever anybody else offers, the Koch bros. will match to keep him at WSU.  He's gonna go where he's set up from day one for a shot to win it all.  Otherwise, why leave WSU?

I've been reading today that some are saying that Texas is gonna make a pretty strong run at Cal (makes sense, Calipari has a limited shelf life anywhere due to NCAA sanctions catching up to him) and that Marshall is the backup plan.

But this is all pure speculation and conjecture.  In real news, Ben Howland is now the Mississippi St. head coach:

I've been reading today that some are saying that Texas is gonna make a pretty strong run at Cal (makes sense, Calipari has a limited shelf life anywhere due to NCAA sanctions catching up to him) and that Marshall is the backup plan.

This sounds like crazy coach talk, Texas style.

If there's ONE place that can pull it off though, it's Texas.

If there's ONE place that can pull it off though, it's Texas.

Is Marshall the Charlie Strong of college basketball?  These are the same nut jobs who thought they were getting Saban.

At the end of the day I think he pulls a Mark Few and stays in Wichita.

And I still believe that Bama's gonna swing for the fences, miss, and end up with Jerod Haase.

There goes plan B.

I would have had him as plan A if I were the Bama AD.  Haase is a helluva coach.

And there's no way in hell Bama gets Marshall, IMO.

I would have had him as plan A if I were the Bama AD.  Haase is a helluva coach.

And there's no way in hell Bama gets Marshall, IMO.

There are reports about Marshall dancing around the question of if he would take another job.

Probably dancing for more money at WSU

It's just such a sick team.  99.9% I don't cheer for that crap, but I hope they go undefeated and win it all. They'll get the high rated recruits regardless...maybe if they win it all some of them will realize they can do things other places.  Nebraska or not.

Fall on that beautiful dagger UK.  Everything corrects itself.

Q. Back in the locker room, Tyler might be as kind of swaggy as I've heard him all year. Did he really take some of the things said yesterday kind of personal, because he said you wanted to win by 50 tonight if you could?

COACH CALIPARI: Well, that didn't come from me because that's not how I coach. What I keep coming back to my team, we've had teams talk about the game. I mean, what, someone's going to come in and say we're going to lose and they're going to say they're going to win but we say at some point you have to step in the ring, we'll lift the rope, you've got to come in here. I don't want my team playing angry, I don't want them to be mean, nasty, hateful, I don't want that. It's not us against the world. It is play with joy and love of the game and love of each other. That wins every time. The other stuff turns to fear. When it's not going good and you're mad and you're trying to elbow and all of a sudden you miss a shot, your physiology is real close to fear. They may have said we wanted to win by 50, but they won because they were focused on how we had to do it against this team because we beat a really good team pretty good but that's not indicative of the year they had.