A sensible thread

ajb5856

I know we live in a now society these days. But how many legendary coaching careers would we have missed out on if today's thinking were around 30, 40, 50 years ago? What if message boards existed? What if coaches were making millions per year and university's athletic budgets were in the triple figures of millions back then? A coaching speculation thread one year removed from a unexpected ncaa tournament appearance during a massive rebuilding project at one of the most historically awful college basketball programs ever? I know all about trolls and I know this thinking isn't the norm, but dear god...

Two things drive me nuts during down times (I know this isn't commonthought here necessarily but I hear it from average fans):

1). The idea that a coaching change is always the answer. Why is it automatically assumed that a new unknown commodity will be better than who they are replacing? Let's face it, it's painfully obvious when the fit is wrong or things aren't working ala Doc. But when there's new energy in a program to go along with a new arena, new practice facility, upgraded recruiting, upgraded everything...what is wrong with just giving a guy several years to iron things out, to take THE EXPECTED bumps and bruises, learn some things, and have the chance to get it all figured out? Nothing! And I know that's the majority of thinking but still...some people drive me nuts. It's almost like Miles got in his own way by immediately hitting campus upon hire and landing the transfers right away and parlaying that recruiting success into a quick rise and NCAA tourney appearance. It's like he should've just been okay with the status quo, been extremely patient, and settled for the 5 year rebuilding project that most were expecting.

2): When the common fan says, "we are so bad we aren't even going to make the NIT", as if the NIT is some tournament that all of the other teams save for the bottom 2 teams in the world go to. The NIT is never the goal and not making the NIT means it's been a bad season, but the average fan doesn't understand the selection process for that tournament how you must just narrowly miss the real tournament in order to be guaranteed a berth if you're a team in Nebraska's position. That being said, Nebraska should be in the NCAA or NIT conversation 9 out of 10 years.

Sensible thread, what in the he!! is that! lol :o

I was with ya til the "9 out of 10 years" part. I guess I don't know what being in the 'conversation' truly means... does that indicate a winning record during 90% of the seasons?

Yes that is the least sensible part! I guess what I meant is a team like Nebraska, power conference, budget, facilities, should have an expectation to make the NCAA or NIT 9 out of 10 years. So, starting last year this season was the 1. We get 8 in a row after this!

Sensible thread, what in the he!! is that! lol :o

I was with ya til the "9 out of 10 years" part. I guess I don't know what being in the 'conversation' truly means... does that indicate a winning record during 90% of the seasons?

Yes that is the least sensible part! I guess what I meant is a team like Nebraska, power conference, budget, facilities, should have an expectation to make the NCAA or NIT 9 out of 10 years. So, starting last year this season was the 1. We get 8 in a row after this!

Believe me, that would be AWESOME. Wisconsin didn't always go to the tourney, but they have with Bo Ryan~ Anything's possible. Not everything's probable! ;)

We use to have so many NIT banners hanging in the Devaney, it was often referred to as "the Apple Orchard". I like to think we'll have our "Dancin'" shoes on most years, and  I have all the faith in the world that Miles will get this figured out. An alumni buddy of mine told Tim to his face that he's the best hire at Nebraska since T.O., I would agree. Plus the NIT doesn't have the cache' it once did since they've went away from the red,white, & blue basketballs, right?

Great post!  On top of the average fan wanting to change coaches, it then takes another 3-4 years to be able to build relationships for recruiting.  I have always said a coach needs about 4-6 years to build a program (a non traditional winning program). That gives them a solid recruiting class to become seniors.  I give the coaches 1-2 years as a pass because in this day in age you almost have to get in on top level recruits when they are freshman in HS.  So say Miles for example was in on some kids to go to CSU early in his career, then jumps ship and comes to NU, well some of those relationships are lost.  Sure you still have the relationship, but everything you just said about CSU you now all of a sudden have to switch over to NU.  This next recruiting class of Miles should be allowed to play 4 solid years together to see how they pan out.  On top of that, he can now start bringing in more players he has had previous relationships with. 

The end of the season tends to produce a lot of angst regardless of whether we're winning or not.

Miles made the NCAA tourney and finished over .500 in the conference for the first time this century.

The outlook of the program has never looked so good in terms of recruiting and facilities. I've been through those years where we've gotten killed in conference and they've never felt like this. Also, people really like Miles...which really helps those years when you're not winning.

I don't think the administration has any sort of serious conversation about what happens with Miles, good or bad, before the end of year 4 barring some sort of extreme case. (Losing 15-20 games isn't extreme for Nebraska.  Winning a tourney game, losing 25 games, or getting a DUI is) If we lose 18 games this year and 18 next year but the trajectory and momentum are still pointing up, Miles still isn't going anywhere. 

Open up your eyes and look around the conference. Teams with far better traditions and higher rated recruits struggle year to year as well. Miles very well might have made the tourney on smoke and mirrors last year. He seems to be bringing in better players on a yearly basis. How do you not give him at least 4-5 years to build a program that has no tradition in a top tier conference, especially with his track record of program building?

One need look no further than Purdue for an example, dimes.  Purdue has won more Big Ten championships than anyone in league history yet they finished 5-13 and in last place last year.  This year?  11-4 with an outside shot at 2nd place in the league.

Not that I'm comparing us to Purdue in any way or fashion, but just helping with your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_Ten_Conference_men's_basketball_regular_season_champions

The end of the season tends to produce a lot of angst regardless of whether we're winning or not.

Miles made the NCAA tourney and finished over .500 in the conference for the first time this century.

The outlook of the program has never looked so good in terms of recruiting and facilities. I've been through those years where we've gotten killed in conference and they've never felt like this. Also, people really like Miles...which really helps those years when you're not winning.

I don't think the administration has any sort of serious conversation about what happens with Miles, good or bad, before the end of year 4 barring some sort of extreme case. (Losing 15-20 games isn't extreme for Nebraska.  Winning a tourney game, losing 25 games, or getting a DUI is) If we lose 18 games this year and 18 next year but the trajectory and momentum are still pointing up, Miles still isn't going anywhere. 

Open up your eyes and look around the conference. Teams with far better traditions and higher rated recruits struggle year to year as well. Miles very well might have made the tourney on smoke and mirrors last year. He seems to be bringing in better players on a yearly basis. How do you not give him at least 4-5 years to build a program that has no tradition in a top tier conference, especially with his track record of program building?

Your point is salient. For the record, though, Nebraska has never lost more than 19 games in a season. Hard to believe at a program that's had so many years of mediocrity in the history of Nebraska basketball..... but, maybe that is the purgatory of having many years of mediocrity with nary a season that has absolutely tanked.

Your point is salient. For the record, though, Nebraska has never lost more than 19 games in a season. Hard to believe at a program that's had so many years of mediocrity in the history of Nebraska basketball..... but, maybe that is the purgatory of having many years of mediocrity with nary a season that has absolutely tanked.

Miles seems more concerned with winning that he is worried about losing.

He's going to consistently put together a schedule meant for us to go to the tournament as an at-large.

If that means one year we lose 20 games instead of 18, I'll take that over us winning 21 games and not making the tournament because our schedule was too soft.

He's going to consistently put together a schedule meant for us to go to the tournament as an at-large.

If that means one year we lose 20 games instead of 18, I'll take that over us winning 21 games and not making the tournament because our schedule was too soft.

The point of the factoid is that it's remarkable that in over 100 years of basketball, Nebraska has never lost 20 games while maintaining a fairly remarkable string of mediocrity. Miles is not likely going to be the one to break it either, IMHO. Personally, I don't revel in it, but it's remarkable nonetheless.

The point of the factoid is that it's remarkable that in over 100 years of basketball, Nebraska has never lost 20 games while maintaining a fairly remarkable string of mediocrity. Miles is not likely going to be the one to break it either, IMHO. Personally, I don't revel in it, but it's remarkable nonetheless.

I would counter that we have consistently played a relatively easy schedule.