B1G wbb Tourney Bracket & tidbits

Row6Seat10

From the Daily Nebraskan

The Huskers are projected as a 9-seed in the NCAA tournament and would play an 8-seed. A win over an 8-seed would put Nebraska against the No. 1-seed. A few wins in the Big Ten tournament this week, though, and the Huskers might be able to avoid such a daunting second-round task.

The winner of Thursday night’s game between Nebraska and Illinois will play Iowa on Friday. A game against the No. 14 Hawkeyes would seemingly provide an excellent opportunity for Nebraska to improve on its 9-seed NCAA projection.

Final matchup against Illinois decides Husker women's basketball fate

The Big Ten women’s basketball tournament tips off on Wednesday. The DN Sports section had a women’s basketball reporter, two softball reporters and the sports print editor speculate how far Nebraska could go, who its sleeper team is and who will ultimately win the tournament.

Big Ten women's basketball predictions

the only guarantee husker fans have come to realize is, these seniors will not go down without a fight. won't surprise me if they beat illinois---and, it wouldn't surprise me if illinois pulls out a win. can say that for each game except for an osu matchup---too much firepower there. i'll be watching and rooting for Big Red!!!

From the Journal-Courier in Lafayette, IN:

There's very little drama in this area. Unless a team seeded eighth or lower wins the championship, the Big Ten is receiving seven bids. Maryland, Iowa, Ohio State, Northwestern, Rutgers, Minnesota and Nebraska are in. That's half of the league, a good number, but it's odd when Purdue, Michigan State and Penn State aren't part of the mix. With the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, the Big Ten should have 9 or 10 teams in the NCAA tournament every season.

When the Big Ten staged the tournament in this same venue two years ago, the average crowd of 4,471 was the lowest since 1995. It might be more this year because they've added an extra session, but don't be surprised if there's less than 1,000 fans in the stands Wednesday. Thankfully, the tournament moves to Indianapolis the next six years starting in 2016. It's better for the teams and the fans. There were discussions of playing the early round games on home courts but that's not possible because of the men's basketball schedule.

http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2015/03/04/big-ten-womens-basketball-tourney-five-questions/24364107/

Purdue lives to play another day after rallying to defeat Wisconsin 58-56 in Game #2. The Boilermakers advance and take on the 6th seed in Minnesota tomorrow night.

They barely made it, I don't know how you stand and watch a player dribble the length of the court and get a shot off?

Ohio State

There's been some talk here about parents of recruits getting jobs as assitant coaches.

Noticed that Ohio States all world Kelsey Mitchell.....her dad just happened to get an asistants job at Ohio State

(There's also another freshman Mitchell girl Chelsea, that also is on the team, but is injured...ACL)

From OSU web site:

After a decorated high school coaching career, Mark Mitchell will begin his first season as an assistant coach at the collegiate ranks for the Buckeyes and Coach McGuff in 2013-14.

I still say Jim Page will be coaching at KState next year. I think it looks questionable when a parent is hired right before their child is signed. It's one thing to already be an established coach somewhere (like John Cook before his daughter transferred back home), but it's another thing to be hired with 0 college coaching experience immediately prior to your kid's college decision.

MSU loses by 10 to Maryland.  Had MSU shot more than 32%, they might have won this game.

There's been some talk here about parents of recruits getting jobs as assistant coaches.

Noticed that Ohio States all world Kelsey Mitchell.....her dad just happened to get an assistant job at Ohio State

(There's also another freshman Mitchell girl Chelsea, that also is on the team, but is injured...ACL)

From OSU web site:

After a decorated high school coaching career, Mark Mitchell will begin his first season as an assistant coach at the collegiate ranks for the Buckeyes and Coach McGuff in 2013-14.

He had been a junior high and high school coach up to last year when he was hired as an assistant coach at OSU, I don't know what the rules are regarding the hiring of parents as coaches to get a recruit to go to a certain school.  Here is his Bio.http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/mark_mitchell_847039.html

I don't think it is against the rules.  We have pulled that trick in Kansas a few times -- Ie) father ed manning coach to get a guy named danny manning; and hired Mario chalmers dad to get Mario.  Both those worked out pretty good for ku.  lol

Do you have to hire them before they enroll in school, or can they become a coach the same year the student starts school?