Tarin Smith and Nick Fuller need to get more shot opportunities

Yeah I agree that Miles needs to design some sets or plays for other players.  It sometimes seems like Miles doesn't do that.

Thank you!  

I love Miles, and I definitely think he is a coach that should be here for the long hall.  With that said I also believe he needs to allow other to score.  

Why are others passing up shots?  

Sometimes I feel like Shields and Petteway are the Italians in Kicking and Screaming

Once again, it isn't that these guys aren't allowed to take shots.  If you've ever listened to Miles press conferences, he's very vocal about everyone scoring.  These guys are CHOOSING to pass up some of these shots that they should be taking.

Yeah I agree that Miles needs to design some sets or plays for other players.  It sometimes seems like Miles doesn't do that.

Thank you!  

I love Miles, and I definitely think he is a coach that should be here for the long hall.  With that said I also believe he needs to allow other to score.  

Sometimes I feel like Shields and Petteway are the Italians in Kicking and Screaming

Once again, it isn't that these guys aren't allowed to take shots.  If you've ever listened to Miles press conferences, he's very vocal about everyone scoring.  These guys are CHOOSING to pass up some of these shots that they should be taking.

At the end of the Iowa game a week and half ago(I think this is the game).  There was a play that I almost pulled my hair out.

The game was already in hand for Iowa.  Tarin Smith had the ball and had a beautiful drive to the hoop.  I am in Section 122 so it was coming right at me.  Smith could have had an easy finger roll layup, but instead passed it out to the corner.  We ended up settling for a 3 point shot by Petteway that was 100% contested with a few seconds left on the clock. 

It is plays like that, that are making us lose ball games.  I just would really like to know the mind set of these players, and the reason they won't shoot.  There has to be a reason other than just being afraid

Edit:  Hate me all you want, but I believe it is something to do with our defensive mentality.  Take our shot clock down to keep the games close.  I know the majority want to punch me in the face for saying this, but I still think Molinari is a big reason our offense is struggling.  The shot clock is playing to big of a role in our offensive game plan

Well, if you want to use stats, here a couple to keep in mind from the past couple games: Nick is 2-for-3 on threes lately (both vs MD) while Tarin is 3-for-3 on threes lately (all vs tOSU). Kind of skews the statistical breakdown of their 3-ball percentages, doesn't it???

Two games ago Tarin was a 25% 3pt shooter and Fuller has attempted eight 3 pointers on the year. 

They have extremely small sample size 

Exactly my point. Percentages are a crazy web we weave.  Recall at one time some thought Benny Parker was our best 3-ball shooter because he'd hit close to 50% at that point in the season. He's now at just less than 33%. Fact of the matter Nebraska doesn't have a "currently eligible" three-point shooter who's great. I'd venture to say there also hasn't been any particular player who's consistently good, either, this season.

I know I've advocated for Benny to take more 3pt shots throughout the year. I have never considered him to be the best 3pt shooter on our team.

Thank you!  

At the end of the Iowa game a week and half ago(I think this is the game).  There was a play that I almost pulled my hair out.

The game was already in hand for Iowa.  Tarin Smith had the ball and had a beautiful drive to the hoop.  I am in Section 122 so it was coming right at me.  Smith could have had an easy finger roll layup, but instead passed it out to the corner.  We ended up settling for a 3 point shot by Petteway that was 100% contested with a few seconds left on the clock. 

It is plays like that, that are making us lose ball games.  I just would really like to know the mind set of these players, and the reason they won't shoot.  There has to be a reason other than just being afraid

Edit:  Hate me all you want, but I believe it is something to do with our defensive mentality.  Take our shot clock down to keep the games close.  I know the majority want to punch me in the face for saying this, but I still think Molinari is a big reason our offense is struggling.  The shot clock is playing to big of a role in our offensive game plan

This isn't that hard.  Several times in this thread you have expressed wonderment over why players other than Shields and Petteway are passing up shots.  It's because they aren't good shooters.  Why would someone "be afraid" to take a shot?  Well, for one example, you've seen Tai have a wide open shot that he airballs or bricks horribly, it's pretty easy to see why he'd be hesitant.  This isn't Molinari's fault.  Really.  If using clock is a big role in the game plan, its because of the talent deficiencies of 3 or 4 guys on the floor playing offense, not just to run clock for the sake of it.

Well, if you want to use stats, here a couple to keep in mind from the past couple games: Nick is 2-for-3 on threes lately (both vs MD) while Tarin is 3-for-3 on threes lately (all vs tOSU). Kind of skews the statistical breakdown of their 3-ball percentages, doesn't it???

Two games ago Tarin was a 25% 3pt shooter and Fuller has attempted eight 3 pointers on the year. 

Exactly my point. Percentages are a crazy web we weave.  Recall at one time some thought Benny Parker was our best 3-ball shooter because he'd hit close to 50% at that point in the season. He's now at just less than 33%. Fact of the matter Nebraska doesn't have a "currently eligible" three-point shooter who's great. I'd venture to say there also hasn't been any particular player who's consistently good, either, this season.

I know I've advocated for Benny to take more 3pt shots throughout the year. I have never considered him to be the best 3pt shooter on our team.

The original post advocated for Tarin & Nick to take more 3-pt shots because of their current %. That is no different than advocating for Benny to take more 3-pt shots due to a current %. It's my opinion that the current % is not a good reason for a player to be taking more 3-pt shots, no matter who it is because our team this season is not an efficient deep ball shooting squad.

The original post advocated for Tarin & Nick to take more 3-pt shots because of their current %. That is no different than advocating for Benny to take more 3-pt shots due to a current %. It's my opinion that the current % is not a good reason for a player to be taking more 3-pt shots, no matter who it is because our team this season is not an efficient deep ball shooting squad.

I don't explicitly say it, but I wouldn't want Benny, Tarin, or Nick to take more 3 pt attempts without subtracting 3 pt attempts from other players. I agree our overall strategy should be to figure out how to effectively score while decreasing our 3pt attempts.

I don't explicitly say it, but I wouldn't want Benny, Tarin, or Nick to take more 3 pt attempts without subtracting 3 pt attempts from other players. I agree our overall strategy should be to figure out how to effectively score while decreasing our 3pt attempts.

That, I agree wholeheartedly with. This team needs to stop shooting so damn many 3-pt shots!

I agree.  People bitch constantly about how lopsided the free throws are game in and game out.  And while I do agree that some calls are very questionable that go against us, it's more an issue of we settle way too much for jumpers and hardly look to get into the paint, and if you don't get into the paint, you're just not gonna get to the line.

I agree.  People bitch constantly about how lopsided the free throws are game in and game out.  And while I do agree that some calls are very questionable that go against us, it's more an issue of we settle way too much for jumpers and hardly look to get into the paint, and if you don't get into the paint, you're just not gonna get to the line.

I bitch about the the free throws all the time, but I tend to agree that it is because we settle for jumpers.  All teams have to do is crowd the lane so our main guys can't drive, and if we can't find shooters our team is very easy to defend.  

Why are so many against letting Smith and Fuller shoot more.  Basketball is a game of runs.  Lets see if one of them can get hot.  It does seem Miles is trying to get them more involved.

I would love nothing more than Tai to stop settling for 3's.  He is one of our best defenders though.  Watching him at the end of the Wisconsin game was fun to watch!  He has strengths, but his head gets in the way a lot.

I bitch about the the free throws all the time, but I tend to agree that it is because we settle for jumpers.  All teams have to do is crowd the lane so our main guys can't drive, and if we can't find shooters our team is very easy to defend.  

Why are so many against letting Smith and Fuller shoot more.  Basketball is a game of runs.  Lets see if one of them can get hot.  It does seem Miles is trying to get them more involved.

I would love nothing more than Tai to stop settling for 3's.  He is one of our best defenders though.  Watching him at the end of the Wisconsin game was fun to watch!  He has strengths, but his head gets in the way a lot.

You hit the nail on the head.  The reason we don't attack the rim more is because right now we are pretty easy to defend.  Pack the hell out of the lane and take away driving lanes, force our team to beat you from the 3 point line.  Go back and watch games last year and how many times we were able to get into the lanes with Gallegos on the same side of the floor.  The defender simply could not help off of Gallegos which allowed TP and SS to get into the paint and finish at the rim.  On top of that, Gallegos had a very quick trigger so even if the defender would show for a split second, it was too late for him to recover to the shooter. This year we simply do not have that knock down 3 point shooter.  So every team can almost have 2 feet in the lane and simply shut down driving lanes.

I always chuckle at fans that are moaning and groaning about attacking the rim more.  Well, it isn't that easy when all 5 defenders are jamming the lanes.  You look at a team like Virginia and how great of a defensive team they are with their pack line defense.  Well teams can go even more pack line against us as we don't have any shooters to spread them out at all.  Hopefully Andrew White III can be that guy that gives us that legitimate threat.  On top of that, so many times in basketball when 1 or 2 guys get hot it becomes contagious.  We simply haven't seen that this year at all.

And this is just me, but I think or see that when Terran and Shavon take it to the rim now they also don't go up as strong or towards the rim as much as last year. I know other guys are there, but both seem to be kind of twisting and turning in the air instead on going hard to the rim.

I think that is what cost Terran the charge call against Wisconsin right before half that we fought about for a while. It might get blocked but I feel that the B1G is a body contact okay , but a wrist slap call league. Saw it a couple of times last night in those games that where on. Some guys got totally moved with the body of the defender no call, but if another guy pokes it away, tweet.

I also have not seen the high glass bank shot that Terran used for and 1 this year.

Matchups also have a lot to do with it as well.

Statistics throughout the year indicate which teams are better at defending without fouling.

While an offense needs to be assertive enough to draw contact, that contact is significantly easier to draw vs Michigan St than Wisconsin.

And this is just me, but I think or see that when Terran and Shavon take it to the rim now they also don't go up as strong or towards the rim as much as last year. I know other guys are there, but both seem to be kind of twisting and turning in the air instead on going hard to the rim.

I think that is what cost Terran the charge call against Wisconsin right before half that we fought about for a while. It might get blocked but I feel that the B1G is a body contact okay , but a wrist slap call league. Saw it a couple of times last night in those games that where on. Some guys got totally moved with the body of the defender no call, but if another guy pokes it away, tweet.

I also have not seen the high glass bank shot that Terran used for and 1 this year.

To go along with that point Silverbacked, there's something else I've mentioned to my dad a couple times that Terran isn't doing this year.  And I know were talking about not settling for jumpers so much, but last year, at least 2-3 times a game, Terran would drive (mainly to his right obviously) and shoot a stepback 15-17 footer, and it was pretty lethal.  He loved to do it in the corner and right around the right elbow.  He has completely taken that shot out of his arsenal.  Maybe I'm the only one who noticed but he was deadly with that move last year.

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of heard something similar.  So I will not be shocked if they exit, but I do believe both could be contributors down the road.  You just don't know all the dynamics...so it is a strange time of the year.  Of note, Cook just announced three players leaving the VB team. 

So I guess we can extrapolate from that that Tai is not leaving at least.

Thats the only thing we can get out of that.  Would seem Petteway may be staying at least.  I mean geeze... how many guys can we lose!?!?  Maybe there was more attitude/problems this season than we thought.

I have heard too that is likely that Fuller leaves and that Smith is on the fence. 

IMO both can be replaced but it hurts depth dramatically. It also puts a lot of pressure on  Watson and Marrow coming in, and I hope those two are as good as advertised. 

Also if Petteway leaves (which I think is still 50/50) these two guys leaving would hurt even worse.