Why does Yori play Romeo??

idaho husker

The only thing that Romeo provides to the team is a set shot and that has to be supported with no defense on her. She's slow, she can't create, doesn't rebound, and most of all she cant play defense!!

Yeah I know she has had a few good scoring games, but they were against weak teams.  In today's game her only defense was to foul - she was out of her league guarding those players.  It was plain as day. I know she is only a freshman and I am sure she will improve over time, but what the hell is Yori thinking? Surely she has better defenders and rebounders on the bench.  If I was one of those players on the bench I would consider transferring.  Awful coaching and awful use of players.

????????  Granted, she is not a great defender, but she is tough and usually a consistent scoring threat.  How many players do we have that can create their own shot?  Laudermill.    NU relies on complimentary players to use movement and find the open man and help on defense.  Romeo is our best to fill iin for Theriot.  

The only thing that Romeo provides to the team is a set shot and that has to be supported with no defense on her. She's slow, she can't create, doesn't rebound, and most of all she cant play defense!!

Yeah I know she has had a few good scoring games, but they were against weak teams.  In today's game her only defense was to foul - she was out of her league guarding those players.  It was plain as day. I know she is only a freshman and I am sure she will improve over time, but what the hell is Yori thinking? Surely she has better defenders and rebounders on the bench.  If I was one of those players on the bench I would consider transferring.  Awful coaching and awful use of players.

You are spot on about Romeo.  With the hype she had coming in I had expected a lot more.  She is basically a very streaky 3 point shooter who really can't create much of a shot.  She should never have the ball in her hands with the shot clock running down. But at this point, I don't think there is anyone else to replace her.  Chandler Smith is another disappointment so far. Her shooting has been terrible so far this year.  Maybe it will improve next year.

You are spot on about Romeo.  With the hype she had coming in I had expected a lot more.  She is basically a very streaky 3 point shooter who really can't create much of a shot.  She should never have the ball in her hands with the shot clock running down. But at this point, I don't think there is anyone else to replace her.  Chandler Smith is another disappointment so far. Her shooting has been terrible so far this year.  Maybe it will improve next year.

Yeah...  I know Smith had a huge setback with her injury and is finally starting to get healthy.  I would take her over Romeo, though. Her defense and rebounding are much better.  I believe her shot will come back with more playing time.  I've been following the stats and Smith hardly shoots the ball... makes me believe there's a system in place where she's not supposed to shoot.  I don't get Yori, though... especially if Romeo is not making any shots.... take her out and put in someone else that can rebound and play defense... 

Yeah...  I know Smith had a huge setback with her injury and is finally starting to get healthy.  I would take her over Romeo, though. Her defense and rebounding are much better.  I believe her shot will come back with more playing time.  I've been following the stats and Smith hardly shoots the ball... makes me believe there's a system in place where she's not supposed to shoot.  I don't get Yori, though... especially if Romeo is not making any shots.... take her out and put in someone else that can rebound and play defense... 

Yeah, I sure see how you could "not get Yori", after 4 straight 20 win seasons, 4 straight NCAA tournaments, some conference championships, and a couple Sweet 16s.  And a such an easy place at which to coach and recruit.  Yep, "awful coaching and use of players".   Of course, since you only have 4 flame posts and haven't been to any games, you may not even know that the 40 minute a game All American candidate ahead of Romeo is out for the year, and that we don't have unlimited options on the bench to play.    Whatever, keep flaming.....

The whole Nebraska team was out of their league guarding the OSU group. And to add to your can't guard no one rant. OSU made T look slow as hell and she by no means is slow of foot.

I went back and found a post from Idaho Husker. I think he thinks Smith should be playing more.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Husker Nation -

Congratulations on your 2014 recruiting class.  I typically do not comment in forums but because Chandler Smith recently signed with Nebraska I couldn't help myself.  I am close to the Smith family and have been watching her play basketball since the 7th grade.  ESPN lists her as a wing but she is really a true point guard. She is very unselfish and loves to get her teammates involved which is a testament to her high school basketball success.  She led them to a state championship last year and should make another strong run at it this year.  She is the type of player that could score 40 points a game but would rather spread the ball around.  I think her passing ability and court vision is the best in Washington. 

Baylor, Arizona State, Gonzaga, Washington State, and Oregon State all wanted her as a point guard so it will be interesting to see how Nebraska uses her. Ultimately, I think she can play anywhere and she has a great attitude to go with that.  She will play wherever she can best help her team.  

Chandler is a great kid and I couldn't be more happier for her to choose Nebraska. Please take care of her Husker Fans, especially all you farmers and ranchers out there - she may need to drive a tractor or ride a horse once and while so she can feel at home!

Well, that explains the motivation, I guess.  It would seem Idaho could make his case for Chandler without attacking one of our other players.  I have spent some time around Chandler, and I can't imagine she would be proud of Idaho's approach, despite his
"being close to the family."

Well, that explains the motivation, I guess.  It would seem Idaho could make his case for Chandler without attacking one of our other players.  I have spent some time around Chandler, and I can't imagine she would be proud of Idaho's approach, despite his

At least it was Kaylee Page's father giving Connie coaching advise.

The initial post on this string is silly.  We have several very good freshman, but like most freshman around the country they have lots of things to work on to polish up their games as they prepare to play bigger roles on NU's team in the future.  Chandler has the best college bball body of the freshman, and moves very well.  Right now, she doesn't play more because she doesn't play hard all the time and takes plays off.  she needs to tighten up her handles (dribble harder and lower) and put a little more arch on her shot.  All 3 things are easily correctable and she will be a very good player for NU in the future.  -- Natalie plays more than Chandler right now because she plays way harder and is more active.  She isn't nearly as long as chandler, and right now she needs to work on getting in the paint to pass better to set up others for easy shots. She is a solid, but still streaky perimeter shooter.  Earlier in the season she got to the paint some to try to score, but got a lot blocked because of the increased length of the college level post players.  She too will be a great player for NU. She is a good enough athlete to get to the paint and pass, and will develop that as she progresses.  Chandler and Natalie will play side by side in the starting lineup for a large percentage of their college careers if they both stay healthy.--Jasmine has a nice college build, and is versatile and will also be a good player.  She needs to get herself in great shape and stay their.   Right now she can go hard for a minute or two at the level they want her to play at.  Going forward she needs to be able to play that hard for longer stretches so they can leave her in longer.  -- Taking cheap shots on message boards at college kids is pathetic.  yes several of out players had a hard time staying in front of Mitchell yesterday, including Natalie, but the kids leads the country in scoring for a reason -- she is damn good.  Lots of quality players with way more experience than our freshman have been lit up by her this year also. 

The initial post on this string is silly.  We have several very good freshman, but like most freshman around the country they have lots of things to work on to polish up their games as they prepare to play bigger roles on NU's team in the future.  Chandler has the best college bball body of the freshman, and moves very well.  Right now, she doesn't play more because she doesn't play hard all the time and takes plays off.  she needs to tighten up her handles (dribble harder and lower) and put a little more arch on her shot.  All 3 things are easily correctable and she will be a very good player for NU in the future.  -- Natalie plays more than Chandler right now because she plays way harder and is more active.  She isn't nearly as long as chandler, and right now she needs to work on getting in the paint to pass better to set up others for easy shots. She is a solid, but still streaky perimeter shooter.  Earlier in the season she got to the paint some to try to score, but got a lot blocked because of the increased length of the college level post players.  She too will be a great player for NU. She is a good enough athlete to get to the paint and pass, and will develop that as she progresses.  Chandler and Natalie will play side by side in the starting lineup for a large percentage of their college careers if they both stay healthy.--Jasmine has a nice college build, and is versatile and will also be a good player.  She needs to get herself in great shape and stay their.   Right now she can go hard for a minute or two at the level they want her to play at.  Going forward she needs to be able to play that hard for longer stretches so they can leave her in longer.  -- Taking cheap shots on message boards at college kids is pathetic.  yes several of out players had a hard time staying in front of Mitchell yesterday, including Natalie, but the kids leads the country in scoring for a reason -- she is damn good.  Lots of quality players with way more experience than our freshman have been lit up by her this year also. 

I realize Romeo will get better with time and I hope she does.  But if her defense is failing you might as well try some of the other players, right?  Maybe its more of the coaching than her.... The game yesterday was pathetic.  Ohio State is unranked are they not?  Do you think we can play and be coached the way we did in the big dance?   Oh and saying that taking cheap shots on message boards at college kids is pathetic??  This is not high school... These are grown women that play Division 1 basketball.  What are message boards for if you can't state your opinion once and a while? 

So your saying Romeo's defense is great and all this is about wanting smith to play more?  Watch the game again.  I'm just asking why Yori doesn't give the other players on the bench more time if her shots aren't falling... cause that's her only strength.

Natalie is a better defender than Chandler and Jasmine right now today. And I love Chandler and Jasmine.  My comment is not a negative comment towards them.  Chandler doesn't play hard consistently yet, and Jasmine can't physically play hard long stretches yet. --Go back and watch the game.  Chandler got benched for slowly jogging back on defense after missing a shot.  When she plays harder she will play more because she has tons of talent.

Natalie is a better defender than Chandler and Jasmine right now today. And I love Chandler and Jasmine.  My comment is not a negative comment towards them.  Chandler doesn't play hard consistently yet, and Jasmine can't physically play hard long stretches yet. --Go back and watch the game.  Chandler got benched for slowly jogging back on defense after missing a shot.  When she plays harder she will play more because she has tons of talent.

That's a weak argument.  I don't see her running up the floor hard every time and if she is playing her hardest out there we've got bigger problems.   Defense is not about running up the floor fast.  Its about matchups, weak side help and the ability to defend one on one.  I realize that Romeo can't guard everyone, but if she is struggling try someone else.  Won't that help the other players too, if they get more playing time? Oh and I guess its not a negative comment because you say it isn't and because you love them.  Well my comments about Romeo are not negative cause I love her too.

by the way your comment "defense is not about running up the floor fast is crazy".  If you get beat down the court and give up open layups all the weak side help, one on one defense etc. you reference doesn't even come into play because the other team doesn't have to set up a half court offense.  -- I think Chandler is our most talented freshman.  They are trying to teach her to play hard with simple reinforcement "you play hard you stay in" but "you jog back you sit".  She is a competitive kid. Won't take her long to figure it out. 

by the way your comment "defense is not about running up the floor fast is crazy".  If you get beat down the court and give up open layups all the weak side help, one on one defense etc. you reference doesn't even come into play because the other team doesn't have to set up a half court offense.  -- I think Chandler is our most talented freshman.  They are trying to teach her to play hard with simple reinforcement "you play hard you stay in" but "you jog back you sit".  She is a competitive kid. Won't take her long to figure it out. 

Yori has them running back as soon as the other team makes a shot.... They are not getting beat down the floor on fast breaks.... Its the weak side help, one on one defense, help defense and blocking out.  To say that Romeo is working harder than an other player on the bench is BS.... How do we know?  they are not in long enough to prove themselves. 

Who do you believe should be taking minutes away from Romeo? In looking at our bench I see Romeo as the best option right now. I agree that Cincore is having trouble with endurance .Smith, though having some talent, is not the scorer that Romeo is at least not yet. Kalenta doesn't seem to have developed like I thought she should though it,many times,takes junior college players a while to adjust to D1 basketball Ramacieri may also develop but I can't see her taking minutes from Romeo. Havers, doesn't play her position and needs to put on some muscle and,if she does, will be a good backup for Shepherd. Wood is a walkon and is limited by her size. If there is any criticism it may be that the coaches have not recruited enough athletes. I realize it is hard to foresee players quitting and being injured .

Losing the younger Page girl really hurts for next year since I see no one to replace her on the rosterat least not yet. Though it may not have been the intention to be negative towards college Freshman it sure seemed just the opposite. All players have limitations but I feel we need to respect the coaching staff to help develop each of these players to be the best they can be.

d1

I would play Romero and Cincore any day over Smith.... She is not ready to play yet. I would take a streaky shooter(Romero) over someone that usually defends the weakest player on the other team anyway. Romero and Smith both seem to guard the player that doesn't really shoot well which use to be Theriot guarding before she got hurt. Not really impressed what so ever with Smith all year when she was playing. She obviously shows it during practice if Connie isn't playing her more.

I'll wait until next season, and several games.... before I will decide which of the three is possibly the better player.  According to what all is being said...they all need to improve their game in some areas. ....they're freshman....good freshmen...but guy's...they're freshmen. I'd imagine they will keep changing and improving their skills,  as they move forward each year.

One thing I certainly hope they all stay at NU....and aren't run off by negative comments..... from any source.