Paying the price?

golfer3

Doc played a soft non con.  His belief was that if he won the soft non con games and finished .500 in the big 12 then they would make the tourney as I believe at that time a team with a .500 record in conference never got denied.  The big 12 was also top heavy then which allowed easier wins then the big 10.  Miles first year he had no players and people were playing the whole half or game most of the year.  Miles had made some recruiting mistakes but he also is going after top players and not players looking to land somewhere.  This program was/is one of the worst in all major conferences for it's history.  The school neglected the sport for 15 plus years.  This is a major rebuilding project and to do what he did in two years is quite amazing.  Bad things can happen to programs.  You think Michigan gets a pass cause their best player got injured?  A team like that should be loaded with players based on tradition and history.  I would be pretty upset if I were a Michigan fan or Illinois fan based on expectations and history.  

Good explanation. Doc's recruiting was abysmal. Always chasing high risk guys, rarely finding ones who would stay for four years. Collier at least left Maric behind. Doc left zip. Miles is building the roster the right way. Call last year a fluke or whatever, but it allowed him to sell the program to our best recruiting class in who knows how many years. Give him time.

I think the fans should allow Miles to remain as long as Bo did with an additional year for good behavior. If the results are not satisfactory by then, the dissatisfaction is merited. Let's not neglect the fact that his teams and recruits have exhibited good character and (especially with Shavon) been premier student/athletes. As disappointed as we are with this year, there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to imply Miles is on a "hot seat". As a sidelight, I think this thread is the first time I have seen anyone accused of taking a "tweet" out of context.

So we've added Moses, Fuller, Hammond, and T Smith to the rotation who replaced Gallegos and Hawkins. With that in mind, why have some said "We need guys that can score" when this wasn't even a topic for discussion last season? It was pretty much the same team, no?

I think the fans should allow Miles to remain as long as Bo did with an additional year for good behavior. If the results are not satisfactory by then, the dissatisfaction is merited. Let's not neglect the fact that his teams and recruits have exhibited good character and (especially with Shavon) been premier student/athletes. As disappointed as we are with this year, there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to imply Miles is on a "hot seat". As a sidelight, I think this thread is the first time I have seen anyone accused of taking a "tweet" out of context.

Miles has been thrown out of more games than Bo was :)

It wasn't from a lack of trying on Bo's behalf... ;)

It wasn't from a lack of trying on Bo's behalf... ;)

Karl Hess would have sent Pelini before kickoff.

Doc played a soft non con.  His belief was that if he won the soft non con games and finished .500 in the big 12 then they would make the tourney as I believe at that time a team with a .500 record in conference never got denied.  The big 12 was also top heavy then which allowed easier wins then the big 10.  Miles first year he had no players and people were playing the whole half or game most of the year.  Miles had made some recruiting mistakes but he also is going after top players and not players looking to land somewhere.  This program was/is one of the worst in all major conferences for it's history.  The school neglected the sport for 15 plus years.  This is a major rebuilding project and to do what he did in two years is quite amazing.  Bad things can happen to programs.  You think Michigan gets a pass cause their best player got injured?  A team like that should be loaded with players based on tradition and history.  I would be pretty upset if I were a Michigan fan or Illinois fan based on expectations and history.

Good explanation. Doc's recruiting was abysmal. Always chasing high risk guys, rarely finding ones who would stay for four years. Collier at least left Maric behind. Doc left zip. Miles is building the roster the right way. Call last year a fluke or whatever, but it allowed him to sell the program to our best recruiting class in who knows how many years. Give him time.

Was Shields a Doc recruit or did Miles get him?

Is there really talk of Miles seat warming?   I mean really?   After 3 years?   And one of the 7 best seasons (in terms of NCAA tournament) in this program's history?   After what we dealt with under Collier and Sadler?    With one of our best ever (on paper) recruiting classes coming?   And set to return the vast majority of the talent that is there this year?  

Miles biggest issue is that he was too good too fast last year.  People have forgotten the total sh!tstorm he inherited.

I believe most here would agree it is not fun to watch your team be blown out. It might be more understandable if it was a top three team or our best player was out for some reason. We have neither. Anyone who is grumbling has my complete understanding. I personally don't know how anybody could honestly look at what we have and what we have done and think we are upper anything. Losing makes one question everything, even the system. Why is it so hard to believe that maybe our team isn't that good? Maybe because we believe in their ability, maybe we believe we are entitled. Whatever it is the most obvious reason is they don't have team chemistry this season. Look for reasons all you want but there is no important reason to tear down any one person past or present to justify your sense of entitlement. We are the leftovers. There is still some good in us and it also means there was once more than plenty here. We will win again. tux

I believe most here would agree it is not fun to watch your team be blown out. It might be more understandable if it was a top three team or our best player was out for some reason. We have neither. Anyone who is grumbling has my complete understanding. I personally don't know how anybody could honestly look at what we have and what we have done and think we are upper anything. Losing makes one question everything, even the system. Why is it so hard to believe that maybe our team isn't that good? Maybe because we believe in their ability, maybe we believe we are entitled. Whatever it is the most obvious reason is they don't have team chemistry this season. Look for reasons all you want but there is no important reason to tear down any one person past or present to justify your sense of entitlement. We are the leftovers. There is still some good in us and it also means there was once more than plenty here. We will win again. tux

"The most obvious reason is they don't have team chemistry this season".   I respectfully disagree.  In my opinion, Tux, the most obvious reason is we don't shoot the ball worth crap.  We're easy to defend without a true point guard and no shooters.  Anyway, in my case, I have no problem believing that "maybe our team isn't that good".   In fact, I came to that belief earlier than most on here.  But I still don't spend much time grumbling about it, as you say, or "questioning everything and the system".   I continue to have faith in Miles, and lots of patience while we improve recruiting and work to get better over the long haul. 

Are we now paying the price when Miles didn't earlier fill all the schollies? It seems he should have filled them with offense-skilled players.  Or, maybe Miles made a significant misdiagnosis of his team's offensive skills.

Get the chains off the locker room and apply to Miles office.

In a word, no.

We have an open spot right now.  It's been open for a couple of season.  You could call it the same spot, I suppose, just left open two years in a row (is it three years now?)

Had he filled it and not left it open, we'd have filled it with someone like, oh, say, Matt Atewe.  That's who we were in on a couple of years ago at this time.  So, you want that 'ship filled for the last two years with another guy who looks good walking through an airport but is a raw prospect on the floor?  No?  Because that's who our options kind of were back then. 

If you wanted to fill that spot for the last two years, that is.

I'd just as soon give the 'ship to Menke and reward him for all his effort.

"The most obvious reason is they don't have team chemistry this season".   I respectfully disagree.  In my opinion, Tux, the most obvious reason is we don't shoot the ball worth crap.  We're easy to defend without a true point guard and no shooters.  Anyway, in my case, I have no problem believing that "maybe our team isn't that good".   In fact, I came to that belief earlier than most on here.  But I still don't spend much time grumbling about it, as you say, or "questioning everything and the system".   I continue to have faith in Miles, and lots of patience while we improve recruiting and work to get better over the long haul. 

I will try to make this more transparent. Players feed off each other. When one is hot usually another gets there with them. Chemistry. Yes they aren't making shots. Yes they don't get nearly enough offensive rebounds. Yes poor shot selection. Yes poor execution. Sounds like chemistry to me. No disagreeing just saying. tux

PS They might just start winning and wouldn't we all call it a change in chemistry. 

No. I think Miles put all his marbles into the 2015 recruiting class, and i think it is going to pay off. We have 3 top 150 guys coming in next year.

Miles still needs to land a legitimate post threat. it's the one thing he has not been able to accomplish in his 3 years here. Leslee maybe could have been that guy if he was 100% healthy, but i think we need a guy that is 6'9+ that is a legitimate double double threat.

Morrow may not be 6'9 but he is definitely a post threat

I will try to make this more transparent. Players feed off each other. When one is hot usually another gets there with them. Chemistry. Yes they aren't making shots. Yes they don't get nearly enough offensive rebounds. Yes poor shot selection. Yes poor execution. Sounds like chemistry to me. No disagreeing just saying. tux

PS They might just start winning and wouldn't we all call it a change in chemistry. 

Tux, I agree with the "Players feed off each other" line.  Momentum is a real thing.  We don't just imagine it.  Miles has even commented how you could have a team of good freethrow shooters, but if the first guy gets up and bricks one, it seems like you end up bricking them all game long.

We might not have been quite as good as our success last year would have suggested.  Perhaps we got on a roll.  But neither are we as bad as our record this year would suggest.  I think next year, with the infusion of some positive energy and an upgrade in some talent in a couple of areas, we could very well start firing on all cylinders once again.

I think there are a lot of good points on both sides on the discussion of Miles having an open scholarship.  However, throughout this entire conversation, I have not read one person naming a particular player who could have filled the open scholarship.  It is extremely easy to claim Miles should have signed a post player, a point guard, a shooter, etc.  Any one can play that game.  Unless a specific player is named who clearly wanted to sign with Nebraska and eventually signed with another P5 school, I think any criticism over unused scholarships is unmerited.  From what I have seen and been told, Miles will not sign players simply to fill out his bench.  Instead, Miles will give the scholarship to a deserving walkon.  That strategy makes sense.  Instead of reaching for a guy to sit on your bench, give it to a local kid and thus develop goodwill within the community.  Then, you can use the open scholarship to bring in a graduate transfer, JUCO kid, or a transfer from another school.  The walkon will not raise a fuss because he is happy to have been on scholarship for a year, and Miles will not be viewed as a Nick Saban type coach who pulls scholarships from recruits who do not pan out.  

Additionally, I do not think anyone can claim Miles is not working hard on the recruiting front.  If Miles was able to bring a guy who worked in his system, the open scholarship would have been filled.