Paying the price?

golfer3

we played in the ncaa tournament less than a year ago. the fact the someone is even bringing up the possibility of miles being on the hot seat is ridiculous.

Yeah, I should have know better than to ever repeat anything my dumb A$$ friends say. Although they are good guys, they tend to be the negative nancy's of our beer(busch light drinkers, yuck) drinking, sports talking group. 

Please recall after 3 years Docs record was 55-47, Miles currently at 47-46.  Miles has a bigger budget and much nicer facilities than Doc did during most of his career.  Just sayin.

NU hoops for all practical purposes starts next season with T Smith, Watson and Morrow.  What we have been watching is simply patchwork basketball by a patchwork roster.

Please recall that the non-conf schedule that Doc assembled was much easier. The comparison between Tim & Doc after the NEXT 3 years will be of great interest....

Incarnate Word you must be talking about.  Collier left Doc with about the worst roster you could ask for, outside of Maric.

Please recall after 3 years Docs record was 55-47, Miles currently at 47-46.  Miles has a bigger budget and much nicer facilities than Doc did during most of his career.  Just sayin.

NU hoops for all practical purposes starts next season with T Smith, Watson and Morrow.  What we have been watching is simply patchwork basketball by a patchwork roster.

Please recall that the non-conf schedule that Doc assembled was much easier. The comparison between Tim & Doc after the NEXT 3 years will be of great interest....

Incarnate Word you must be talking about.  Collier left Doc with about the worst roster you could ask for, outside of Maric.

And Miles inherited a juggernaut. 

Maryland Baltimore County ring a bell?  Aleks Maric falling in Doc's lap trumps anything Miles was left with. 

we played in the ncaa tournament less than a year ago. the fact the someone is even bringing up the possibility of miles being on the hot seat is ridiculous.

Yeah, I should have know better than to ever repeat anything my dumb A$$ friends say. Although they are good guys, they tend to be the negative nancy's of our beer(busch light drinkers, yuck) drinking, sports talking group. 

So lessons were learned here today.  Once again, HHC serves the greater good!  :D

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=23&SPID=24&Q_SEASON=2006

Jamel White is also pictured but not listed.  Not sure that's the worst roster you could ask for.....

That's a pretty solid squad compared to Miles first year team

Didn't Jamel get jetisoned prior to the start of that season? 

You have to be a bluebird fan, you really do

Here's my biggest concern (and why Miles better have a nice cool seat he's sitting on right now)... Miles was the person who was willing to take on a lower-caliber power conference basketball program and try to make it into..... well, something. If Miles' legacy at this program was that he came in and he "couldn't do it," then we better run for the hills. No other coach with any sort of Division 1 credentials would want to coach here. Miles is our guy whether people think so or not, otherwise we have bigger problems ahead of us.

Jamel White is also pictured but not listed.  Not sure that's the worst roster you could ask for.....

Yep. JW #31 could have had a good year, but blew his chance. Too bad.

Miles was considered a miracle-worker for winning 5 B1G games that 1st season w/ Doc's leftovers!  Doc had 2 & 4 wins in 2 out of his last 3 years at NU w/ 14 conference losses in each of those 2 seasons...

Miles was considered a miracle-worker for winning 5 B1G games that 1st season w/ Doc's leftovers!  Doc had 2 & 4 wins in 2 out of his last 3 years at NU w/ 14 conference losses in each of those 2 seasons...

Didn't he end up somewhere where he scored like 60 points in a game or something, or am I just  imagining this?

Didn't he end up somewhere where he scored like 60 points in a game or something, or am I just  imagining this?

ya I recall that as well

Consider also, that Doc never once finished above .500 in league play, and he only reached that .500 level once.

Like it or not, Tim Miles did have us finish 4th in the league in just his second year (and had they not blown the Penn State game on the road, or had Michigan not beat us in PBA, etc etc we would have tied for second) with, let's say, a less than all-star roster.

So, just because the wheels fell off this year, it is certainly no indictment against Miles.  Particularly when you consider the huge reclamation project he has taken on.  He has at least two more years of ice cold seats, barring some sort of malfeasance IMO.

ya I recall that as well

After he was asked to leave NU, he tried to latch on at La. Tech, then went to Oklahoma City Univ & finally ended up at TX Wesleyan. Must have the final stop where he had the career night, found his stats from the 1 yr at TW where he averaged 22.4 ppg.

ya I recall that as well

After he was asked to leave NU, he tried to latch on at La. Tech, then went to Oklahoma City Univ & finally ended up at TX Wesleyan. Must have the final stop where he had the career night, found his stats from the 1 yr at TW where he averaged 22.4 ppg.

I was also thinking that one of the last moves Collier made before leaving was to hire a new assistant and that assistant may have been related to JW?

Please quit going of Sam Mckewon's tweets.  That guy is off his rocker.  He's the same guy claiming Nebraska was one shot away from a NCAA appearance in Doc's third year.  :lol:

Oh and in regards to those records...

SOS (per kenpom)

07- 65

08- 73

09- 59

13- 5

14- 22

15- 38

This might just be me, but  NCAA wins > NCAA appearances > conference wins > W-L record.

BTW, Sam tends to talk in multiple tweets. Here was the last of 9 tweets in a series.

The tweet comparing records wasn't a dig at Miles but it was part of an overlying arc about how how difficult it is to build and win here.

When they talk about firing Riley after his first big loss then you'll know for sure.

I think it's a bad idea to look at next season as a Miles' make or break season.  I don't think that kind of pressure is justified based on the addition of five players we've yet to see play together.

I think we should be better, but if for some reason we're not I'm not going to feel like Miles can't get it done here.  He bought himself some equity with last years run to the tournament, IMO. 

Good luck on the recruiting trail Tim!!

When they talk about firing Riley after his first big loss then you'll know for sure.

yeah I've been thinking about that a lot.  Right after Riley's first loss the "TO and BD had fantastic records and won national championships...we better fire this guy because it's a sinking ship" people will be coming out of the woodwork...or coming back in some cases.

I think it's a bad idea to look at next season as a Miles' make or break season.  I don't think that kind of pressure is justified based on the addition of five players we've yet to see play together.

I think we should be better, but if for some reason we're not I'm not going to feel like Miles can't get it done here.  He bought himself some equity with last years run to the tournament, IMO. 

Good luck on the recruiting trail Tim!!

my expectations are pretty high for next year. I don't think it's a make or break season for tim's job, but there will definitely be enough talent to make the ncaa tournament on the roster.

ya I recall that as well

I was also thinking that one of the last moves Collier made before leaving was to hire a new assistant and that assistant may have been related to JW?

Yeah, I recall that it was JW's uncle who'd been associated with an AAU.

I would guess the majority of fans who think Miles should be on the hot seat are the ones who mainly watch our football team and only tune in to the bball team when it's convenient. They are the ones who know nothing about our recruiting. They just see a score or watch one random game and make judgements based off that, saying "Same old Nebraska basketball" if things don't go well. Like Miles said last year, "Don't put that crap on me!"

Doc played a soft non con.  His belief was that if he won the soft non con games and finished .500 in the big 12 then they would make the tourney as I believe at that time a team with a .500 record in conference never got denied.  The big 12 was also top heavy then which allowed easier wins then the big 10.  Miles first year he had no players and people were playing the whole half or game most of the year.  Miles had made some recruiting mistakes but he also is going after top players and not players looking to land somewhere.  This program was/is one of the worst in all major conferences for it's history.  The school neglected the sport for 15 plus years.  This is a major rebuilding project and to do what he did in two years is quite amazing.  Bad things can happen to programs.  You think Michigan gets a pass cause their best player got injured?  A team like that should be loaded with players based on tradition and history.  I would be pretty upset if I were a Michigan fan or Illinois fan based on expectations and history.