So what is a "Motion Offense" anyways?

I think I spent too much time describing what motion isn't, next time I'll do more of what it is.

You did a really good job. 

Doc attributed his offense to Eddie Sutton. 

I will ask: You think Doc's offense was worse than what you've seen this year? When Nebraska scores this year, it's usually because Petteway went off or Shields had a matchup. 

I think I spent too much time describing what motion isn't, next time I'll do more of what it is.

You did a really good job. 

Doc attributed his offense to Eddie Sutton. 

I will ask: You think Doc's offense was worse than what you've seen this year? When Nebraska scores this year, it's usually because Petteway went off or Shields had a matchup.

Impossible question for me personally to answer, swmckewon. Doc's talent was so poor. Docs offense had much better spacing to the wings and corners, and was built to have much more action to the hoop off of screens. I will say, I think TP and SS would have a lot more success coming off of Doc's backside (2 man side) down screen. Make defenders decide how they're gonna guard that gives us a ton of option.

The biggest issue in my opinion? Both are terrible at creating advantages and help situations right away in transition... That's a whole other post.

Do you have a copy of this DVD?

http://www.syskos.com/product/333/motionoffense

Good stuff, by the way. Thanks.

Yes I've watched that and I've seen the 1-4 high playbook we have.

"Coach Tim Miles shows the various alignments he uses in order to control his motion offense. The five alignments include 4-out/1-in, high post set, one and two-guard fronts, 3-out/2-in, and a five-out set. He also includes four drills he uses in order to teach motion. Coach Miles also discusses motion rules and the trademarks of his motion offense. Each alignment has various options and is demonstrated on-court and with game footage. Coach Miles emphasizes touching the post, shot selection, and crashing the offensive boards."

We rely heavy on what (I believe) he calls his high-post sets and/or what I would call his 3 out 2 blockers (a bastardized version of mover and blocker with just ball screens). Typically our possession goes 1. High post set into 2. Ball-screen revolving pattern into 3. TP calling for a high ball screen to chuck up a prayer.

Do you have a copy of this DVD?

http://www.syskos.com/product/333/motionoffense

"Coach Tim Miles shows the various alignments he uses in order to control his motion offense. The five alignments include 4-out/1-in, high post set, one and two-guard fronts, 3-out/2-in, and a five-out set. He also includes four drills he uses in order to teach motion. Coach Miles also discusses motion rules and the trademarks of his motion offense. Each alignment has various options and is demonstrated on-court and with game footage. Coach Miles emphasizes touching the post, shot selection, and crashing the offensive boards."

We rely heavy on what (I believe) he calls his high-post sets and/or what I would call his 3 out 2 blockers (a bastardized version of mover and blocker with just ball screens). Typically our possession goes 1. High post set into 2. Ball-screen revolving pattern into 3. TP calling for a high ball screen to chuck up a prayer.

Great stuff on this thread. If any of you guys could implement the ideal offense for the Huskers, what would it be and why?

For me it would always be a motion. I'm a big believer in not teaching plays but how to play. In the purest sense it is Pete Newell's who taught Bobby Knight. The Newell/Knight book is the "bible" of motion offense. It does take a long time for players to learn the language of the motion. You can scout players but the offense is unscoutable. If I had a program right now I'm sure I'd be running some of the read and react layers in jr high and adding more layers while moving more and more to a "real" motion as they get older.

To be truly a good motion offensive player you have to be a good basketball player, meaning you have to understand the "why's" of the game and not just the "how's" Without trying to start a flame war I see that as TP's problem. He works incredably hard and is very skilled at certain aspects if the game but he doesn't seem to undestand the game. That's why he never seems to get any real easy shots in the half court. He doesn't understand how or he just won't move with any purpose without the ball. He doesn't seem to know how to read screens well and he just doesn't score off of cuts because he lacks intelligent movement. That in no way is implying he is not intelligent. He gives the ball up and then stands around until he get the ball back and then He is forced to use some of his great 1 v1 skills. He is terrific at making tough shots, but with better knowledge of movement he would get some easier ones.

So I vote the beautiful game - motion. If it strengthens my arguement for some of you, McDermitt doesn't like the motion.

Do you have a copy of this DVD?http://www.syskos.com/product/333/motionoffense

If any of you guys could implement the ideal offense for the Huskers, what would it be and why?

In my opinion, that's not the right question. Tim Miles is an incredible coach and he knows more about basketball and the different options he has than I do x10.

Our problem threefold in my opinion.

1. Fundamentals - DeanSmith nailed it about TP (I'd even say Shavon too). What vs Why is the biggest difference in OK teams and good/smart teams. But we go through the what our motions are supposed to be, but do not know why, and do not read and react to what our teammates are doing and what the defense is giving us. I don't know if these guys could play motion basketball if Miles wanted to... Which might be the answer to all of this. Personnel.

2. Spacing - our spacing is jacked for 75%-90% of the possession. You've GOT TO get guys spaced in the corners and in the low post (ball side or even away from the ball). But we go through the motions and do not read and react to what our teammates are doing and what the defense is giving us. Of course, back to personnel, we don't have a guy or two who can sit in the corners and knock down 50% of their corner 3's on kick-outs... Which is saaaaadddd.... (Take note, I'm not saying shooting 50% from 3, I'm saying - on standing in the corner, with a kick out pass, you should hit nearly 50-60% of those)

3. Transition Offense - Benny actually does a fairly decent job of getting some high outlet passes, on the move, and kicked ahead to players with an advantage. Problem is we NEVER take advantage of those opportunities. This happens because SS and TP only seem to know how to drive as if they are playing one-on-one. They're the guys who get the ball kicked ahead to them, but if they see they do not have open lanes to the hoop, they'll stop their drive and pull back, which stops everything you got because of the kick ahead. And stalls us, allowing the defense to take hold and push back. Sometimes you have to drive knowing you are not going to score, and you have to take a different angle that draws other defenders. Webster actually does a good job of this in theory, but he's not confident yet and his pace and pound of the ball is too slow and hesitant right now. TW is actually the guy who has shown me a ton this year, but has just not capitalized on much. All potential at this point, but I feel like the instincts and thought process are there.

Very informative, but here's our version of the "motion": without a Center, 3 guys who can't shoot pass the ball around the 3 point line until the clock runs out, then the last one with the ball fires away!

Sorry but I disagree with you.

No one should take away from all this that I'm questioning Miles or the staff, or bashing our players. We have some pieces... A lot of our issues are mental. But it's up to a team and the coaches to take the pieces they have and do the best with what we have. We shouldn't be getting beat like we are, regardless of personnel. It's the 6" between the ears that is getting us beat by 20+ and only scoring in the teens in the first half.

The best offense puts the talent in position to score, correct?  That sounds simple, but so much goes into getting that right person to the right spot.  What is frustrating this year, especially over the past month, is that nobody seems to be the right person, and nobody seems to be at their right spot. 

Again, this oversimplifies the offensive mindset, but I am not sure it is the offensive sets, or the mental gymnastics that is creating the issues.  BJones, are we not running a very similar offense as we ran last year?  

BJones, are we not running a very similar offense as we ran last year?

Correct.

Except last year we played out of our a**es and just had a special attitude and aura about ourselves. We snuck up on teams, played with an unmatched passion and energy, and played as a team.

This year it's seems like we thought we were completely different and could just get by being a normal team. When, quite frankly, it required everything we did last year from an intangible perspective.

Subtract the one dude who seemed to be able to make an open 3, take away our mental/passion edge, and just go through the motions - you're 13-15 with no shot at decent post season play.

However, neither team is/was particularly impressive offensively, fwiw.

Listen, our issues have nothing to do with talent or X & Os. We are suffering from a Crisis of Confidence. We have lost the joy you need to play this game with.

Don't disagree there. I'd say there's a few things that could be changed to get us more in games, expo facto creating energy because it's competitive, but nonetheless, correct, X's and O's only matter when the intangibles have been taken care of.

Listen, our issues have nothing to do with talent or X & Os. We are suffering from a Crisis of Confidence. We have lost the joy you need to play this game with.

Don't disagree there. I'd say there's a few things that could be changed to get us more in games, expo facto creating energy because it's competitive, but nonetheless, correct, X's and O's only matter when the intangibles have been taken care of.

Jones you probably know a lot more about basketball than I do...but just going off the eye test it appeared our action was improved on offense last night.  But, we are a poor shooting and passing team..combine those two and it leads to trouble.  We can only hope that an added year of experience, and the incoming talent can change that next year. 

Jones you probably know a lot more about basketball than I do...but just going off the eye test it appeared our action was improved on offense last night.  But, we are a poor shooting and passing team..combine those two and it leads to trouble.  We can only hope that an added year of experience, and the incoming talent can change that next year. 

I did not get a chance to watch last night, was at district hs games. Good to hear, though (I trust your eyeball). Question to ask yourself -- assuming these guys are all capable basketball players and were solidly recruitable division one talent - what all of the sudden made them unable to shoot a basketball or create for others?

Eh, well it's partly talent, but would agree it is mostly confidence. 

Kind of hard to believe now that this is the same team that opened up a 17 point lead at home against Michigan State just over a month ago.

That's why most of us believe it's mostly confidence.

Eh, well it's partly talent, but would agree it is mostly confidence. 

Kind of hard to believe now that this is the same team that opened up a 17 point lead at home against Michigan State just over a month ago.

That's why most of us believe it's mostly confidence.

Mostly confidence as far as never seeming to get leads... and not having a post to get easy buckets & not having a true PG get us easy buckets, either. But, really, it's a whole slew of issues that have reared their ugly head.  Not getting an early lead & playing from out in front is probably as big of an issue as anything, IMHO.

What we run - if you watch closely, the primary offense that we go to is a 3 out, 2 in offense (the 2 in is a formality), where the posts pop and get reversal passes to a 2 man wing side, the first wing will fake like they are coming off of a hand-off and go back door, while the next guy will come up and either get a hand off, or get the pass and receive a ball screen. Guy who cuts, cuts to the opposite corner, other post player pops on this action, then repeats to his side. 

Strengths - You know what shots you are going to get, and can typically be very effective in placing rebounders in statistically opportunistic positions. Some players tend to thrive in offenses like this where they are able to practice a specific shot they get out of their offense, whether it be off of a down-screen that is set every time, or something along that lines. You can really build your team and how you transition defensively and offensively off of how you run your pattern. Also, it can run clock until you either get the shot you want or until you have established your goal of slowing the game down and making it a possession ball game. 

Weaknesses - It breaks down and humans are not perfect robots. No coach or player is good enough to perfectly adapt to what the defense takes away every time and hit them with the perfect counter. Therefore it can be unreliable because of the timing and high level of execution it requires. Second, players get lazy and go through the motions. Notice how we rarely every get the back-cut on our offense anymore? We got that all the time last two years... Not to mention the other weakness of this, you are scouted easily. Opposing coaches get to game-plan to take away specific things you want to do. Thus, making it a constant trial and error, adjustment chess game. 

As I'm reading this I'm saying, "YES" out loud, because I see it so many times when Petteway (not to pick on him specifically, because other guys do it too) is on the wing waiting for the reversal pass from the big up top, but he has to come so far out because his man is defending him so close.  I can see it so much better live than on TV, but when it happens I'm thinking if he would just cut back he'd be wide open for a pass and layup.  Actually one time at a game I yelled "GO BACK DOOR ON HIM!!"  Couldn't figure out why my wife was laughing so hard.  :rolleyes: