Scouting Northwestern

hhcmatt

Thoughts from above

• Northwestern doesn't play particularly good 3pt defense...that doesn't help us all that much.
  • They're a good shooting team and we're a team that keeps you from shooting well. Who wins this one?
  • They don't turn you over.  GOOD SIGN
  • They make their free throws but don't get to the line much. Looking at their overall numbers they're one of the worst at making it to the FT line. We shouldn't have foul trouble. GOOD SIGN
  • High assist team...as you could infer from above their offense isn't based on slashing but instead rotating the ball to find the open man. This will test the persistence of our defense built to stop the slash and make you pass. 
  • Like us they're a get back on defense and protect their own rim sort of team. Offensive boards should be few and far between
  • They're sure to pack the paint and have some blocking ability but they will let you draw contact. The FT line will be huge against a team that allows a lower 2pt % than most.

Probably another low scoring rock fight and other than Wisconsin they've played everyone else within 10 including their only conference victory, a road win vs Rutgers. They won't be an easy out but this game is a must win in terms of heart and pride.

Some info from Harriman last night on Sports Nightly about Northwestern

- Were up on Michigan and Maryland on the road before folding

- Play a pack defense taking away driving lanes

- NW has run 6 zone sets the entire year and only against Wisconsin when they were down 30-15

Edited by hhcdimes
Edited for grammar/clarity

I find it interesting that we are worst in the league in both 3 pt % AND offensive rebounding.  Usually, a bunch of missed 3 ptrs means offensive rebounding opportunities, right?  The longer the shot, the further it will carom off the rim when you brick it.  The further it caroms from the rim, the less advantage the big, inside guys have of corralling it and the greater the likelihood that some little guy comes away with it.

Yet ... we're apparently not coming away with loose balls even with our abundance of 3 pt misses.

Some info from Harriman last night on Sports Nightly

- We're up on Michigan and Maryland on the road before folding

- NW has run 6 zone sets the entire year and only against Wisconsin when they were down 30-15

I'm assuming that the Maryland you noted here is supposed to be Minnesota.

I find it interesting that we are worst in the league in both 3 pt % AND offensive rebounding.  Usually, a bunch of missed 3 ptrs means offensive rebounding opportunities, right?  The longer the shot, the further it will carom off the rim when you brick it.  The further it caroms from the rim, the less advantage the big, inside guys have of corralling it and the greater the likelihood that some little guy comes away with it.

Yet ... we're apparently not coming away with loose balls even with our abundance of 3 pt misses.

You might be on to something, but 3 pt percentage isn't the best metric to use there. We don't take as many 3-pointers as some other teams, so I think number of 3-point misses per game would be better to compare to offensive rebounding metrics - and we definitely aren't last in that one. For example, we miss 12.8 3 pointers per game, on average. Michigan misses 14.9 3 pointers per game, on average. They have a better shooting percentage than we do, but they take far more than us. More misses gives them more offensive rebounding chances as you describe.

Actually I think he meant to say Northwestern instead of "we", and that Michigan and Maryland are correct

Actually I think he meant to say Northwestern instead of "we", and that Michigan and Maryland are correct

Punctuation boner on my end. Should be "were" and denotes Northwestern

Probably just a misplaced apostrophe...meant to say "were up on..."

As far as I can see we usually only ever have one guy try to rebound while the other four are already heading up the floor when the shot is up.  Never understood that.