NIT

kldm64

This season can't end soon enough. Please no more talk of NITs, CBIs or any thing related to extending my misery...

Now, you know, the 1995-96 Nebrasketball team lost 9 straight games in conference toward the end of the season & then went out & played on the road for most of the N.I.T. & won the whole enchilada!? You never know...

That was also the team with those seizure inducing Converse uniforms with those awful zig zags everywhere. Beat St. Joe's to win the Title. Ain't happenin' this year...

Except at this point, Auroran, we'd probably need to win our last 2 regular season games, plus 2 more in the BTT just to get to the NIT...and even that might not do it.

So yeah, the 2014-15 Husker basketball season will end in about 10 days or so.

Yep, win the next two for sure & 1 more W in Chicago would put NU at 16-16, the minimum requirement of the N.I.T.

This season can't end soon enough. Please no more talk of NITs, CBIs or any thing related to extending my misery...

Now, you know, the 1995-96 Nebrasketball team lost 9 straight games in conference toward the end of the season & then went out & played on the road for most of the N.I.T. & won the whole enchilada!? You never know...

That was also the team with those seizure inducing Converse uniforms with those awful zig zags everywhere. Beat St. Joe's to win the Title. Ain't happenin' this year...

No one currently on earth knows the future, so I'll continue to cling to the slim hope of a brighter day! :D

Except at this point, Auroran, we'd probably need to win our last 2 regular season games, plus 2 more in the BTT just to get to the NIT...and even that might not do it.

Yep, win the next two for sure & 1 more W in Chicago would put NU at 16-16, the minimum requirement of the N.I.T.

NIT doesn't have the .500 requirement any more.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament#Selection_process

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2006 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

Still, due to the second part of the revamped selection process, Nebraska would likely need to get to 18 wins to get an NIT invite as an at large.

NIT doesn't have the .500 requirement any more.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament#Selection_process

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2006 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

Still, due to the second part of the revamped selection process, Nebraska would likely need to get to 18 wins to get an NIT invite as an at large.

Well, that's a "Double-Whammy" for my slim-pickin' hopes, 9er! 

The 95-96 team had the second best roster with respect to talent at each position that Nebraska has had in the last 40 years and should have been a sweet 16 team at the least.

The 95-96 team had the second best roster with respect to talent at each position that Nebraska has had in the last 40 years and should have been a sweet 16 team at the least.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda ... albeit, I tend to agree that the '95-'96 team was uber-talented that even with the player revolt occurring they still went out on the road for nearly every game & won the N.I.T. when the N.I.T. clearly wanted Tark the Shark in NYC. Fairly amazing result considering all factors; in particular, it was not the tourney they wanted as many of the players had played in 2-3 NCAAs & tasted success with the '94 Big 8 crown...

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

I think what he's getting at though, is EXPECTATIONS. Only one of the few times we have EVER had anything resembling expectations, considering we were ranked and everything (and the made in March jerseys), tv spots, etc. with those expectations, I have to agree that it WAS one of the most disappointing seasons to date; the other, certainly worse seasons were the norm. We were expecting a bad team year in and out.

This seasons results make it that much more disappointing.

Well, yeah, quoting me an entire month later when the Huskers only 'W' was on Feb. 3rd vs NW is probably an obvious downfall of Big Red at this point. Back then, Nebraska was 5-5 in the league & now NU's 5-11.

Hey dude, it's nothing personal. Didn't personally see the date there, I was just responding. Idc if it's relevant now, it's relevant generally. I meant expectations in the broad sense of the season, and the record we have now only makes that worse; and yes you are right, it'll be bad either way.

Anyway, I was probably running off of a burned out brain from studying+epic lack of sleep. ;)

Best of luck to the skers next year.

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

I think what he's getting at though, is EXPECTATIONS. Only one of the few times we have EVER had anything resembling expectations, considering we were ranked and everything (and the made in March jerseys), tv spots, etc. with those expectations, I have to agree that it WAS one of the most disappointing seasons to date; the other, certainly worse seasons were the norm. We were expecting a bad team year in and out.

Well, yeah, quoting me an entire month later when the Huskers only 'W' was on Feb. 3rd vs NW is probably an obvious downfall of Big Red at this point. Back then, Nebraska was 5-5 in the league & now NU's 5-11.

Hey dude, it's nothing personal. Didn't personally see the date there, I was just responding. Idc if it's relevant now, it's relevant generally. I meant expectations in the broad sense of the season, and the record we have now only makes that worse; and yes you are right, it'll be bad either way.

Anyway, I was probably running off of a burned out brain from studying+epic lack of sleep. ;)

No prob, I knew it wasn't personal; more surprised that somebody would reply to that old of a post on 'expectations'. I must have been wondering 'what the what' as I've been taking a lot of flak for not giving up on Nebrasketball in some circles..

No prob, I knew it wasn't personal; more surprised that somebody would reply to that old of a post on 'expectations'. I must have been wondering 'what the what' as I've been taking a lot of flak for not giving up on Nebrasketball in some circles..

Haha yeah sorry for the confusion. But I'm with you; I haven't given up on them yet either, I guess the year I have though. I still believe in tim's long term vision, and I hope you can encouraged to keep it up. It's tough and always will be to be a husker fan, and I think only some of us understand this. I'm still convinced that it's a curse...

Hate to say it, but I'm gonna be glad to lose Terran and have a new slate in a way...most if not all are tim's recruits and we'll have white III in to really help w/l athleticism. At this point next year we will have no excuses to not be a tourney bubble team.

And I fail to see "expectations" being a problem anymore...we know with bball that we get what we can from the program...though I hope that our program keeps going upward. I don't want it to stagnate.

Yep, expectations can be a noose.  Miles is the eternal optimist tempered by his intimate view of reality. He definitely warned people that last year's run was a team getting hot as opposed to a sustained great team.  The real problem is that WAY too many of the media & fandom bought into the hype after that memorable run to the Big Dance. This year's been a bit of a downer in the short term... Better days ahead, I truly believe that.

Haha yeah sorry for the confusion. But I'm with you; I haven't given up on them yet either, I guess the year I have though. I still believe in tim's long term vision, and I hope you can encouraged to keep it up. It's tough and always will be to be a husker fan, and I think only some of us understand this. I'm still convinced that it's a curse...

Hate to say it, but I'm gonna be glad to lose Terran and have a new slate in a way...most if not all are tim's recruits and we'll have white III in to really help w/l athleticism. At this point next year we will have no excuses to not be a tourney bubble team.

And I fail to see "expectations" being a problem anymore...we know with bball that we get what we can from the program...though I hope that our program keeps going upward. I don't want it to stagnate.

I don't understand this motive from so many fans.  With help coming in next year, Terran can be much more effective with a lot of the weight lifted off his shoulders.  People get frustrated with him offensively a lot, but what they also aren't taking into account is how half of his shots come 1 on 1 at the end of the shot clock cause no one else is willing to shoot the ball in the other 25 seconds of the possession.  With help coming our way next year, those type of shots won't happen as much.  I personally would love for Terran to stay another year

Barfknecht talked about Husker losing streaks over the past 40 years in today's OWH.  I didn't see it posted in the media thread.  Sorry if someone already linked it somewhere in the forum.

...and then Shatel comes in with this flyby in response:

Good to see Tom trollin' Husker hoops fans, adding to our angst, while giving props to that eastern Omaha team for 'losing close games.' 

Barfknecht talked about Husker losing streaks over the past 40 years in today's OWH.  I didn't see it posted in the media thread.  Sorry if someone already linked it somewhere in the forum.

Good to see Tom trollin' Husker hoops fans, adding to our angst, while giving props to that eastern Omaha team for 'losing close games.' 

While ignoring the 2 point win against South Dakota, the point win against Oklahoma, and the 3 point win against St. Johns.  

Shatel just can't help himself; ever the CU apologist.  I only wish he were original.  Couldn't any sports writer turn in a piece to his editor once per year on how the season would be different if only…..

I'm going to track down a picture of the warm up jersey's from the NIT run.  Someone described them as zig zags, but I seem to feel like they looked like tire tracks.

While ignoring the 2 point win against South Dakota, the point win against Oklahoma, and the 3 point win against St. Johns.  

Shatel just can't help himself; ever the CU apologist.  I only wish he were original.  Couldn't any sports writer turn in a piece to his editor once per year on how the season would be different if only…..

I'm going to track down a picture of the warm up jersey's from the NIT run.  Someone described them as zig zags, but I seem to feel like they looked like tire tracks.

QNXQVCBUUEUUCIV_20090513163122.jpg

CRINKLE-CUT RED FRENCH FRIES!