NIT

kldm64

Tough crowd here. The preseason hype was just that. No miraculous comebacks this year, other teams prep WELL for Nebrasketball. Huskers need to get creative to score buckets, and so far haven't been able to break free for easy scores. It's not really that surprising this year, it's FAR MORE surprising what happened to end last year. And, I mean FAR MORE. Please temper expectations or you'll drive yourself mad. End of rant.

So you don't think there should have been any preseason hype? You make the NCAA tournament last season and basically have your entire team returning along with a 1st team All-Conference player and you don't think this year has been disappointing? I'm very disappointed in our offensive production this season and the heart of this team. No doubt, last year was a magical ride but if you can't built on it the following season with the same players, then we might as well just kept Doc Sadler and not have any expectations or hype each year.

I never mentioned that it wasn't disappointing. Yet the notion of most disappointing ever is a major stretch, don't you think?

Nah. Some mags ranked em in top 25. Others said they'd finish second in conf. With almost all the team returning, all conf player and Cpoy candidate there should eb expectations. On top of erything else, big ten ain't even close to as good this year as it be last year. Becuz of all dat stuff, if they don't even make the tourney, it is the most disappointing ever.

Also If you ain't got no expectations going into this season, you don't get to have em ever or you really don't care.

That's a load of hooey, Central. The Big Ten isn't down, it just has 14 teams now which either makes it appear better or worse depending on who you ask. There's never a 'night off' for any team, just look at Wisconsin losing at Rutgers.

Look, it's been a disappointing season; but, let's not base our team on the "hype" in the preseason! It's ridiculous to assume the team is the same as last year, but somehow better for losing for Gallegos. It's a completely false assumption. That's on you, Central, 'cuz it ain't on me bro.

Tough crowd here. The preseason hype was just that.  No miraculous comebacks this year, other teams prep WELL for Nebrasketball. Huskers need to get creative to score buckets, and so far haven't been able to break free for easy scores. It's not really that surprising this year, it's FAR MORE surprising what happened to end last year. And, I mean FAR MORE. Please temper expectations or you'll drive yourself mad. End of rant.

I'm curious...what should the expectations be for next year? This year I think most would have agreed early on that we were overrated in the preseason.  And while if you told this board that we were going to miss the big dance and make the NIT(hopefully?) we would be disappointed but not shocked.  We are still missing several pieces.  But when should the expectations rise?  Last year Miles said many of times that this program/team was still "one year away."

On top of erything else, big ten ain't even close to as good this year as it be last year. Becuz of all dat stuff, if they don't even make the tourney, it is the most disappointing ever.

A simple google search will show the Nebraska Cornhuskers have been playing basketball, a lot of it disappointing, before 2011.

Tough crowd here. The preseason hype was just that.  No miraculous comebacks this year, other teams prep WELL for Nebrasketball. Huskers need to get creative to score buckets, and so far haven't been able to break free for easy scores. It's not really that surprising this year, it's FAR MORE surprising what happened to end last year. And, I mean FAR MORE. Please temper expectations or you'll drive yourself mad. End of rant.

I'm curious...what should the expectations be for next year? This year I think most would have agreed early on that we were overrated in the preseason.  And while if you told this board that we were going to miss the big dance and make the NIT(hopefully?) we would be disappointed but not shocked.  We are still missing several pieces.  But when should the expectations rise?  Last year Miles said many of times that this program/team was still "one year away."

I'm not thinking about expectations right now. If you want to discuss lineups, that's one thing. Why do we get so enamored with expectations?!? It's really not that important to the outcome of games, is it?

That's a load of hooey, Central. The Big Ten isn't down, it just has 14 teams now which either makes it appear better or worse depending on who you ask. There's never a 'night off' for any team, just look at Wisconsin losing at Rutgers.

Look, it's been a disappointing season; but, let's not base our team on the "hype" in the preseason! It's ridiculous to assume the team is the same as last year, but somehow better for losing for Gallegos. It's a completely false assumption. That's on you, Central, 'cuz it ain't on me bro.

Last yr the big ten was ranked as the toughest or second toughest league. That ain't the case this year. I ain't bagging on the conference,just saying it was better last year.

I ain't basing anything on no hype. I'm basing the dissapoitment on the fact that the team returned four starters from a ncaa tourney team and the one player that Din't return wasn't one of the main stars. Most teams in the country lost a whole lot more.

Last yr the big ten was ranked as the toughest or second toughest league. That ain't the case this year. I ain't bagging on the conference,just saying it was better last year.

I ain't basing anything on no hype. I'm basing the dissapoitment on the fact that the team returned four starters from a ncaa tourney team and the one player that Din't return wasn't one of the main stars. Most teams in the country lost a whole lot more.

Last yr Nebraska had one of the easiest conference schedules as NU only played UW, MSU, Iowa & Mich once. This yr the schedule is considerably more difficult. Granted, the Huskers have under-performed offensively but that's largely due to the lack of a third, fourth & fifth scorer. It's all a matter of perspective, what one considers a "major" disappointment another calls it a 'minor' disappointment. The fact is that it's a disappointment.

In the semi-modern era, this season's performance vs. general expectations is closest to the 1978-79 season.  We had a very good season in '77-78, made the quarterfinals of the NIT (back when it was a much better tournament, prior to expansion of the NCAA tourney).  We had all of our starters back except Terry Novak, who was an undersized defensive minded forward.  Everyone figured we were on our way.  Then, despite returning almost all of our statistical production, we flat-out sucked in 78-79 coming off of that.  Novak must have really been a "glue" guy.....

I think this year does have some precedent, and '78-79 is the best example.  I realize many of you fortunate folks weren't yet a gleam in your daddy's eye at that time....

I really hadn't looked into the matter too closely over the last couple of years. My mistake.

Would you say this is how most Creighton fans perceive people from Central to type? I probably should have picked up on the arrogance a while back.  Sorry everyone.

I really hadn't looked into the matter too closely over the last couple of years. My mistake.

Would you say this is how most Creighton fans perceive people from Central to type? I probably should have picked up on the arrogance a while back.  My bad.

I had a feeling this was a wanker who got his jollies at Nebrasketball's expense.

I'm not thinking about expectations right now. If you want to discuss lineups, that's one thing. Why do we get so enamored with expectations?!? It's really not that important to the outcome of games, is it?

How should we judge this team/program if there are no expectations?  Do you think preseason Miles would had agreed that NCAA expectations were out of wack?   

How should we judge this team/program if there are no expectations?  Do you think preseason Miles would had agreed that NCAA expectations were out of wack?   

I didn't say "no" expectations. I only mentioned that I prefer to look at the here & now. It's a disappointment this yr, what else matters? Clearly the preseason hype doesn't...

Here's the difference between Nebraska basketball fans and Iowa basketball fans.

Iowa is coming off a 3-game losing streak (which includes getting absolutely CRUSHED on the road by Wisconsin), and are only 1/2 game ahead of us in the conference standings, 1 full game overall, and have an only moderately less difficult remaining schedule than us, yet what do they have to say about the potential of their team vis-a-vis postseason play???

Well, read the comments in the SB Nation article linked below, but the common consensus is about an 8-9 seed in the tourney, possibly as high as a 6, with the NIT as the absolute worst case scenario.  Oh, and the article itself takes some time to crack on the Huskers...glass houses I'm tellin' ya...

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2015/2/2/7962067/roundball-roundup-big-ten-basketball-weekly-recap

And here we are, moping around like someone killed our dog.

We're 4-5 in the B1G for chrissakes!  Let's not collectively jump off the Bay Bridge here.  After all, it's not like we're 1-9 or anything!

GAH!!!!

Here's the difference between Nebraska basketball fans and Iowa basketball fans.

Iowa is coming off a 3-game losing streak (which includes getting absolutely CRUSHED on the road by Wisconsin), and are only 1/2 game ahead of us in the conference standings, 1 full game overall, and have an only moderately less difficult remaining schedule than us, yet what do they have to say about the potential of their team vis-a-vis postseason play???

Well, read the comments in the SB Nation article linked below, but the common consensus is about an 8-9 seed in the tourney, possibly as high as a 6, with the NIT as the absolute worst case scenario.  Oh, and the article itself takes some time to crack on the Huskers...glass houses I'm tellin' ya...

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2015/2/2/7962067/roundball-roundup-big-ten-basketball-weekly-recap

We're 4-5 in the B1G for chrissakes!  Let's not collectively jump off the Bay Bridge here.  After all, it's not like we're 1-9 or anything!

GAH!!!!

I think the main problem isn't that we have lost, but HOW we have lost.  It sucks knowing that our 4-5 record could easily be 6-3 maybe even 7-2.  We just need a kickstart on scoring, and the defense will be there.  The NCAA tourney is a reach at this point, but it isn't out of the question, and anyone who says it is is well.... probably the average fan.  All it takes is a start.  The ball has to start rolling forward somewhere.... sometime.  Problem is, that somewhere... sometime has to be against Northwestern, or I'm afraid it'll be to late.

GAH!!!!

I completely disagree that the difference between these fanbases is faith.

Iowa is on a 3 game losing streak...where two of the games were against Wisconsin.

They need to win 6-7 of their next 10 to make the tourney and have a significantly easier upcoming schedule than we do.

Their losses are against good teams and they own road wins vs North Carolina and Ohio St.

I think NIT is worst case scenario for that team barring an epic meltdown.

The worst case scenario for this team is we're shut out of the postseason. It would be hugely disappointing but no matter the outcome of this year one can have justified optimism for next year.

Current RPI:

Iowa 52  (Wins at North Carolina, Minnesota, and  sweep of Ohio St.  No bad losses.)

Nebraska 112  (Wins over Cincinnati and Michigan St.  And then there's Creighton, Hawaii, and Incarnate Freakin' Word!)

Iowa has better fans because they are more optimistic than Husker fans right now?  Seriously?

• 4 weeks later...

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

I think what he's getting at though, is EXPECTATIONS. Only one of the few times we have EVER had anything resembling expectations, considering we were ranked and everything (and the made in March jerseys), tv spots, etc. with those expectations, I have to agree that it WAS one of the most disappointing seasons to date; the other, certainly worse seasons were the norm. We were expecting a bad team year in and out.

This seasons results make it that much more disappointing.

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

I think what he's getting at though, is EXPECTATIONS. Only one of the few times we have EVER had anything resembling expectations, considering we were ranked and everything (and the made in March jerseys), tv spots, etc. with those expectations, I have to agree that it WAS one of the most disappointing seasons to date; the other, certainly worse seasons were the norm. We were expecting a bad team year in and out.

This seasons results make it that much more disappointing.

Well, yeah, quoting me an entire month later when the Huskers only 'W' was on Feb. 3rd vs NW is probably an obvious downfall of Big Red at this point. Back then, Nebraska was 5-5 in the league & now NU's 5-11.

This season can't end soon enough. Please no more talk of NITs, CBIs or any thing related to extending my misery...

Now, you know, the 1995-96 Nebrasketball team lost 9 straight games in conference toward the end of the season & then went out & played on the road for most of the N.I.T. & won the whole enchilada!? You never know...

Except at this point, Auroran, we'd probably need to win our last 2 regular season games, plus 2 more in the BTT just to get to the NIT...and even that might not do it.

So yeah, the 2014-15 Husker basketball season will end in about 10 days or so.

I think we need a Runza win tomorrow night!

Yeah Runza wins!!!

:)

This season can't end soon enough. Please no more talk of NITs, CBIs or any thing related to extending my misery...

Now, you know, the 1995-96 Nebrasketball team lost 9 straight games in conference toward the end of the season & then went out & played on the road for most of the N.I.T. & won the whole enchilada!? You never know...

Runzas and the whole enchilada.  That gets my vote.  Mmmmm.  Enchiladas.