NIT

kldm64

I'm wondering at this point if we will even be an NIT team this season?  The backend of our schedule is much tougher than the front end and we are only 12-9 at this point.  Even if we go .500 the rest of the way, that won't get us in the NIT.  This might be the most disappointing basketball season I have been apart of.

The NIT needs to be the realistic goal at this point.  Watching a Div 1 team struggle to score a point a minute is NOT fun what so ever.

It is hard to make the nit now that they give lesser conferences guaranteed bids. If you are good enough to make the nit at large you are good enough to be on the ncaa bubble.

Lets try to win 3/4ths of our home games and pick up another win to finish with a winning record.

If we go .500 we will be in the NIT. We definitely won't get in with a record of 7-11 or less, small chance at 8-10, so this team must finish 5-4 to get to 9-9.

Halfway through conf. season so there's 9 games left, NW, @PSU, ranked UW, @Pur, @ranked Maryland, iowa, @OSU, @Ill, ranked Maryland

need to win the easier games: NW and PSU, the next 2 games. To get 3 more wins this team needs to win games at home and take advantage of HCA. Hopefully we beat UW, maryland, iowa all at home to get 5 Wins

doubt this team beats OSU or purdue on the road, since those teams have only lost once at home during the conference season. maryland is simply  unbeatable on the road. illinois is the next easiest road game though we wont be favored. There's 4 Losses

If we go .500 I don't see how we are an NIT team. Unfortunately this team looks like it will end up being one of the bigger dissapointments of the year. It will be interesting to see how next year's recruiting class ends up considering Miles admitted that without the NCAA berth last year he's not sure alot of those top prospects would have listened to him.

It's pessimists like you guys who bring the board down. We are going to win all of the rest of our games and become NCAA champs for once. Climb aboard the Sunshine pump express. It blasts off With the Northwestern game.

I know you are joking but I have friends who genuinely feel like this.  You ask them when the next time Husker football will lose and they can't come up with an answer.  When pressed some will say 2020 or something ridiculous.

So then instead of having an intelligent conversation about our teams chances in games and seasons to help manage expectations they end up calling me a hater because I try to be a little realistic. 

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

Not sure you're seeing the point there.  Some of those 12 win seasons had nowhere near the preseason expectations this team had.  It's disappointing because of how good this team COULD HAVE been, and probably should have been.  So yeah, I agree with KLDM here, with preseason expectations, i can't say I've ever been as disapointed with a season as this one.

Nebraska's had seasons where they didn't even have 12 wins for the ENTIRE season. So, yeah, not sure this can be considered the most disappointing season ever. Not even close. Oh well, a B1G home game against a pesky Northwestern team on Tues. Gotta get right, quick! GBR

Not sure you're seeing the point there.  Some of those 12 win seasons had nowhere near the preseason expectations this team had.  It's disappointing because of how good this team COULD HAVE been, and probably should have been.  So yeah, I agree with KLDM here, with preseason expectations, i can't say I've ever been as disapointed with a season as this one.

But surely you can now understand why those expectations have not been met ? We finished last season with a most amazing, improbable run. Did anyone see that coming ? A run that happened despite the fact that we finished in he bottom third of nearly every statistical category in the conference. Go up and down our roster, let's be honest, there are two guys on our roster that any other team in our conference would be interested in. I realize this this bleeds into the offensive discussion in the other threads. We need better players and we are getting some. The pressure will be on from them to produce. Without last years run, very unlikely that we get the guys coming in that we do.

Tough crowd here. The preseason hype was just that.  No miraculous comebacks this year, other teams prep WELL for Nebrasketball. Huskers need to get creative to score buckets, and so far haven't been able to break free for easy scores. It's not really that surprising this year, it's FAR MORE surprising what happened to end last year. And, I mean FAR MORE. Please temper expectations or you'll drive yourself mad. End of rant.

Tough crowd here. The preseason hype was just that.  No miraculous comebacks this year, other teams prep WELL for Nebrasketball. Huskers need to get creative to score buckets, and so far haven't been able to break free for easy scores. It's not really that surprising this year, it's FAR MORE surprising what happened to end last year. And, I mean FAR MORE. Please temper expectations or you'll drive yourself mad. End of rant.

Rock solid. Very much agree.

So you don't think there should have been any preseason hype?  You make the NCAA tournament last season and basically have your entire team returning along with a 1st team All-Conference player and you don't think this year has been disappointing?  I'm very disappointed in our offensive production this season and the heart of this team.  No doubt, last year was a magical ride but if you can't built on it the following season with the same players, then we might as well just kept Doc Sadler and not have any expectations or hype each year.

So you don't think there should have been any preseason hype?  You make the NCAA tournament last season and basically have your entire team returning along with a 1st team All-Conference player and you don't think this year has been disappointing?  I'm very disappointed in our offensive production this season and the heart of this team.  No doubt, last year was a magical ride but if you can't built on it the following season with the same players, then we might as well just kept Doc Sadler and not have any expectations or hype each year.

I never mentioned that it wasn't disappointing. Yet the notion of most disappointing ever is a major stretch, don't you think?

I think a lot of people miscalculated the loss of Ray Gallegos from last year, IMHO. Ray didn't shoot it particularly well on the year, but he was a major threat to go off for 7 triples in a game & teams had to respect that. And, Ray never seemed to turn the ball over & played great D. Solid player all around, which is desperately missing from the squad this season.