uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 20 - Michigan

uneblinstu

Pregame/First Half

• All-blacks, huh. We’ll see how this goes.

• With LaVert and Walton out, this becomes a must win for NU.

• Interesting that Tai’s back in the lineup the first game after his breakout.

• Too many jump shots early.

https://twitter.com/HuskerHoops/status/560230686377119744

• After this tweet, they did start attacking the rim, just couldn’t finish.

• I like the defense. Closing out, contesting most shots.

• Rivers defending really well tonight.

• This first half was really familiar, fortunately Michigan’s really struggling to score, too.

• Petteway missed a ton of shots he usually makes. Gotta think that’ll come around in the 2nd half.

• Great defense from Webster on the shot clock violation late in the half.

• When was the last time Petteway was held scoreless in a half? He really hates playing Michigan, huh?

• Dawkins stepped up in LaVert and Walton’s absence. They’re not very good without those guys, huh?  

Second half

• All sorts of break downs. Can’t solve the zone. Turnovers, getting lost on defense. Can’t let this game slip away.

• Why did we go zone?

• Why can’t we figure out the zone?

• This is brutal.

• Walt’s been brutal this half.

• Tarin Smith with a decent rebound game.

• Bielfeldt was the difference today. Seriously?

I could go into a bunch of other stuff here, but this is the game that has plagued NU hoops for as long as I can remember. Michigan approached this game with the urgency it deserved. They were down arguably their two best players and it was next man up. Nebraska, coming off their biggest win of the season, and they played like this game didn’t matter. It showed. And I don’t get it. Everyone knows how big of a game this was. The team knew it. Miles knew it. All of us knew it, and they gave that performance? Really? Where’s the pride? Where’s the urgency? That was the most disappointing game since...Penn State last year?

I have typically said that whether you lose by 1 or 0 doesn't  matter as a loss is a loss.  You move on...but tonight was different for me.  This was a bad loss.  We were playing well, building a resume that needs enhancing...and we laid an egg.

100% Agreed.  At the end of the day, it's just on loss.  However, I'm concerned by what I saw with our player's lack of energy and body language tonight.  It's like someone told them all some terrible news before the game.  Nobody really seemed to play with any sense of urgency.

I'm not mad that we got beat.  I'm not even mad we lost by 14.  I'm mad that we flat out quit tonight.  That is inexcusable.  Flat out inexcusable. 

I remember after a game in Doc's first year, where he was so mad at the effort on the road against OU, that he called for a practice as soon as the plane landed at 5:00 am.  This should be same thing after tonight's performance.

Bad loss to a pretty mediocre team 

We looked like a team that was still thinking about/feeling the effects of Saturday - no urgency/energy. Actually both teams looked that way through the 1st half.

Our zone offense is God awful, especially spacing and passing up open shots, not that we would've hit them tonight

Can we burn the all black uniforms yet? Or go back to the design we used in the '90s, those seemed to work better.  ;)

Yet as horrible as the 1st half went offensively, we were still in it. So to come out as flat as we did in the first few minutes of half #2 caused me to utter a season-record number of profanities per minute.

Coach Beilein is really good, their game plan picked out all of our weaknesses and got them installed on a short prep time. 

I have typically said that whether you lose by 1 or 0 doesn't  matter as a loss is a loss.  You move on...but tonight was different for me.  This was a bad loss.  We were playing well, building a resume that needs enhancing...and we laid an egg.

We will see.. Saturday is now a HUGE game... almost a MUST WIN to get back on track.

We won the FT shooting, offensive rebound, and turnover battle tonight which is surprising considering how poorly we looked in general.

We looked and played like a team hungover from a big emotional win. I'm not sure how else to explain how rattled we looked.

This is not said very often...in fact I cannot recall ever saying it during his tenure...but this loss was on the coaching staff last night.  Sure the players may not have executed; but this team was not ready to play at the tip, and there were no adjustments during the game that altered that original path.  This is not any type of indictment, as this happens in the game of basketball...yet it was very evident last night. 

From Sports NIghtly: Moses wasn't part of the gameplan vs Michigan because of the matchups. It was actually surprising to Miles to see him inserted as he'll have an assistant cover the substitutions. Moses was sitting on the bench for an hour and 15 minutes of real time (not real warmed up). He comes into the game and doesn't handle a pass from Shields that becomes a turnover. On the other end he then fouls for a 3 pt play and that's all Miles had seen enough.  At that point in the game the Huskers had it at 10 points and now they're down 13