Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 19 - Michigan St

hhcmatt

Need road wins. Seven of next 10 away from PBA. A 5-5 split in those 10 (that means at least two W's on the road), would be awesome.

Winning at Michigan & at Minnesota coupled and hopefully a home win vs Northwestern as well as a win at PSU would have the Huskers getting 8 victories in 9 ballgames & set Nebraska up at 16-7 overall & 8-3 in the league. That would put Nebrasketball squarely on the NCAA bubble with 7 games remaining.

More like a six or seven seed in that scenario.

I don't think so. At 16-7 we haven't beat enough quality teams to overcome the fact that our pre-conference schedule wasn't that great and we lost 2-4 games we shouldn't have. If we get to 16-7 our margin of error definitely decreases.

This is from the Battle Creek Michigan Enquirer...no clue if this writer knows what he is talking about:

Nebraska: Walter Pitchford's ejection came after he was assessed a technical for knocking down a Minnesota player during a dead ball last Tuesday. Pitchford also got a 'T' on Jan. 8 against Rutgers. Because Saturday's infraction was a flagrant-2, Pitchford will be out of this Tuesday's game at Michigan. … Leslee Smith got his first start of the season in place of David Rivers.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/24/petteway-scores-nebraska-holds-spartans/22289919/

This is from the Battle Creek Michigan Enquirer...no clue if this writer knows what he is talking about:

Nebraska: Walter Pitchford's ejection came after he was assessed a technical for knocking down a Minnesota player during a dead ball last Tuesday. Pitchford also got a 'T' on Jan. 8 against Rutgers. Because Saturday's infraction was a flagrant-2, Pitchford will be out of this Tuesday's game at Michigan. … Leslee Smith got his first start of the season in place of David Rivers.

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/24/petteway-scores-nebraska-holds-spartans/22289919/

I do think you are confusing it with football potentially.  It appears from what I can gather that there is no automatic suspension of any kind.  Conferences can opt to suspend though if they choose, as happened to Harrell of Lousiville last year. 

From what I understand there is only a next game suspension per conference rules. Someone would need to link me to the B1G rules. It very well could be a decision that needs to be made. I'd side with Miles on this one.

Have been trying unsuccessfully to find any Big 10 rules on the issue.  I have not yet seen anything that suggests there is even the possibility of a suspension, let alone a guaranteed one.  No news could potentially be good news as it doesn't seem to be an easy find on the internet regarding a guaranteed suspension, but I am admittedly probably just a 6 or 7 out of ten on interenet searching. 

Need road wins. Seven of next 10 away from PBA. A 5-5 split in those 10 (that means at least two W's on the road), would be awesome.

Winning at Michigan & at Minnesota coupled and hopefully a home win vs Northwestern as well as a win at PSU would have the Huskers getting 8 victories in 9 ballgames & set Nebraska up at 16-7 overall & 8-3 in the league. That would put Nebrasketball squarely on the NCAA bubble with 7 games remaining.

More like a six or seven seed in that scenario.

Got to do work now, can't wait to "win out" the final 7 games. NU's got to make hay now as the final stretch are even more challenging...  vs Wisky, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, vs Iowa, @ Ohio St, @ Illinois, vs Maryland.

Have been trying unsuccessfully to find any Big 10 rules on the issue.  I have not yet seen anything that suggests there is even the possibility of a suspension, let alone a guaranteed one.  No news could potentially be good news as it doesn't seem to be an easy find on the internet regarding a guaranteed suspension, but I am admittedly probably just a 6 or 7 out of ten on interenet searching. 

Agree - I believe there's no guaranteed suspension for more games, but the B1G could hand down another game or two after a review of the situation by league officials. It's discretionary, depending on the situation. I wouldn't expect anything more, but who knows? New territory for us.

I believe that's what Coach was referring to on the post-game - that Walt missing 7/8th of today's game was probably enough punishment and that he didn't expect the B1G to do anything further. If it had happened with 30 seconds left in the game, then maybe another game would be handed down.

Agree - I believe there's no guaranteed suspension for more games, but the B1G could hand down another game or two after a review of the situation by league officials. It's discretionary, depending on the situation. I wouldn't expect anything more, but who knows? New territory for us.

I believe that's what Coach was referring to on the post-game - that Walt missing 7/8th of today's game was probably enough punishment and that he didn't expect the B1G to do anything further. If it had happened with 30 seconds left in the game, then maybe another game would be handed down.

Suspension the next game if it's a fight.  Not for a flagrant. So Walt can play against Michigan. 

I watched the Pitchford incident again.

He was being held by Costello and looking back at the ref. At that point he then whacks Costello in the head.  Luckily it didn't seem to be a damaging/painful blow. As a lot of people stated at the time it was an extremely dumb play.  Walt was yelling at the ref and wacks a guy 3 seconds later?  I suppose he could have been trying to elbow him in the chest the moment that Costello let go, but that's still an elbow.

The only reason they might suspend him would be that this is the second game in a row with a technical. That Costello wasn't hurt/injured is probably Walt's saving grace. I understand the frustration but saying that he needs to play smarter would be an understatement. He's also not going to get the benefit of the doubt in the future on close calls.

I watched the Pitchford incident again.

He was being held by Costello and looking back at the ref. At that point he then whacks Costello in the head.  Luckily it didn't seem to be a damaging/painful blow. As a lot of people stated at the time it was an extremely dumb play.  Walt was yelling at the ref and wacks a guy 3 seconds later?  I suppose he could have been trying to elbow him in the chest the moment that Costello let go, but that's still an elbow.

The only reason they might suspend him would be that this is the second game in a row with a technical. That Costello wasn't hurt/injured is probably Walt's saving grace. I understand the frustration but saying that he needs to play smarter would be an understatement. He's also not going to get the benefit of the doubt in the future on close calls.

And, the same seems to go for Tim Miles as he stepped beyond the coaches box & was immediately warned while Tom Izzo ran all the way onto the free throw line at one point with no push back from the refs. Tom's 20 years in the Big Ten trump Timmy's 2-1/2, I guess...

Walt and Terran are the two that do the trash talking and other subtle (usually) things that can get you into trouble (elbows and after the play type stuff).  I'd strongly prefer they not do those things.  It'd be interesting know what Miles thinks of it. 

Then with Walt yesterday, what a total lack of poise.

On the positive...what a great win !!

That cross-over step back 3 was so out of left field but it shows you what he is capable of when he has confidence. It's almost like his success on the defensive end (save for rushing out at 3 point shooters a little too aggressively) the last couple of games has given him more confidence on offense.

The foul on Trice at the end was total BS. It looked like nothing in person and watching the replay on TV this morning it was clear Tai didn't touch him. Don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of watching us get bad calls on three point fouls at home.