Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 19 - Michigan St

hhcmatt

Here's my version:

-What was Walt thinking? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

-How about Tai Webster?  I know it's early for some of you, but I wouldn't be too upset if he was inserted back in the starting lineup.

-Benny and Tarin both had rough games, at least offensively. Defense pretty good.

-Terran still has those "what kind of shot was that?" moments, but man he is talented. I can live with a couple bad shots if he's shooting like he was tonight.  Wow. He has really picked it up a notch the past few games, much like Tai.

-It was huge to have Shavon and Petteway both clicking. Sometimes Shavon only gets 8, 10 points and it looks like a one-man show on offense, maybe similar to Frazier at Penn State?  We have guys that can score, we need to get as many of them involved as we can.  Tonight, I think that happened.

-REBOUND!!!!!!!!!  This game wouldn't have been close had the rebounds been even.  45-26 for the game.

-Only turned it over 9 times...

David is out for Tuesday. Big Ten could also suspend Walt, though I think he paid the price already.  At 4-3 in the conference, NU is in pretty good shape.  Keep it rolling.  

Need road wins. Seven of next 10 away from PBA. A 5-5 split in those 10 (that means at least two W's on the road), would be awesome.

Winning at Michigan & at Minnesota coupled w/ hopefully a home win vs Northwestern as well as a win at PSU would have the Huskers getting 8 victories in 9 ballgames & set Nebraska up at 16-7 overall & 8-3 in the league. That would put Nebrasketball squarely on the NCAA bubble with 7 games remaining. Gotta get the next, then onto the one after that. GBR

David is out for Tuesday. Big Ten could also suspend Walt, though I think he paid the price already.  At 4-3 in the conference, NU is in pretty good shape.  Keep it rolling.  

Did anyone else listen to the post radio interview with Coach?  Did he say a one game suspension for Walt?  I thought he said something like, "I think one game, that's fair."  But maybe I misunderstood.  Or misheard.  Or misremembered. 

If Tai doesnt get back to back GATA belts then I won't respect the award ever again

Tai coming up huge with an overall game deserving to be back in the starting lineup. His D along with 13 points today pushed NU over the top! Tai basically replaced the offense that Pitch may have provided, and Leslee/Moses combo did the interior dirty work.

One thing that Nebrasketball needs to figure out in a hurry is how to grab a damn rebound when the other team surrounds you. Although, I had a funny feeling MSU had a crazy knack for not allowing the Huskers' arms to get any boards on either end of the court.  It was stunning, really; refereeing was pitiful in many aspects of the post play in regards to "opportunity" to catch a board . Nebraska hasn't been a great rebounding team this year, but that was anemic. Pitch & Rivers not playing today definitely hurt the rotations, next Tuesday at Crisler Arena will be an enormous challenge that I believe the team will be ready for.

MSU is a great offensive rebounding team. We put bodies on 1 or 2 players each time. The problem was we didn't put bodies on all 5 players. Also, when the ball came down, even if we had a body on MSU, they seemed quicker to the ball. Maybe, Leslie and Moses playing extended minutes, wore them out.

Need road wins. Seven of next 10 away from PBA. A 5-5 split in those 10 (that means at least two W's on the road), would be awesome.

Winning at Michigan & at Minnesota coupled and hopefully a home win vs Northwestern as well as a win at PSU would have the Huskers getting 8 victories in 9 ballgames & set Nebraska up at 16-7 overall & 8-3 in the league. That would put Nebrasketball squarely on the NCAA bubble with 7 games remaining.

More like a six or seven seed in that scenario.

It's safe to say Tai replaced Walt's offense and then some, considering he was 2-2 from 3 point and 7-8 from the Free Throw line, I thought he played with a ton of confidence and poise, it's like he's not afraid of having the ball anymore.  That crossover he had with a step back three was saweet.

It's safe to say Tai replaced Walt's offense and then some, considering he was 2-2 from 3 point and 7-8 from the Free Throw line, I thought he played with a ton of confidence and poise, it's like he's not afraid of having the ball anymore. That crossover he had with a step back three was saweet.

Tai was huge. He also had that other sick crossover where he beat his man and kicked the pass out to the wing, and maybe Shavon? missed the 3.

A few thoughts...

- Walt "earned" that ejection tonight.  Didn't see it at the arena, but certainly saw the short video. I like his aggressiveness that he has been playing with, but dude, you have to stay clean.

- TSmith struggled a bit tonight...he will have much better nights.

- Benny's struggles continue.  He has the effort going, but dang, he has some open looks that simply need to be knocked down.  nuf said.

- Moses looked hobbled tonight....he is what he is, and yet, he made a good effort.  He is not going to score, but he played good defense and occupied space.  His minutes were needed.

- Leslee had a very good game.  Good to see him playing quality minutes.  I hope his knee(s) hold out.

- I am sooo proud of Tai.  The dude is now playing like we thought he may.  I hope this continues.

- Shavon was a tad inconsistant, but he also was playing the 4 all night.  Good job!

- TP = Stud...great performance!

I thought we controlled this game...a few stupid turnovers + a failure to rebound + MSU got really hot made the game close. 

Oh yeah, the crowd showed up today...nice to see.

Yeah that is a move that is much more common in the NBA.  You don't see that every day in college.  Speeks to the profit potential we have in him.  Need to to continue to surface. 

It's safe to say Tai replaced Walt's offense and then some, considering he was 2-2 from 3 point and 7-8 from the Free Throw line, I thought he played with a ton of confidence and poise, it's like he's not afraid of having the ball anymore.  That crossover he had with a step back three was saweet.

In a flagrant 1 situation, the player who was struck is awarded two free throws and his team gets possession of the ball. In a flagrant 2 foul situation, the penalty is the same, but the player who threw the elbow is ejected from the game.

The above is from the NCAA site.  I did not read in detail, so I may be totally wrong, but it appears to me that there is no language about a suspension, only ejection from the subject game...