Closer to College GameDay than the Experts Thought...

AuroranHusker

Of course, the thread title is an ode to Lee Corso on the more famous football version of College GameDay. This weekend, I wondered if anyone else has contemplated how close Nebrasketball was to hosting College GameDay on Saturday vs MSU. This game was only selected a week ago for a 3pm broadcast on ESPN as Wisconsin at Michigan was ultimately chosen as the host for College GameDay shown at 5pm with the actual game-time of 6pm.

Previously, Dickie V has gone on record that he wants to come to Lincoln. Unfortunately, this year that sole chance was January 24th for Nebraska basketball since College GameDay started up during conference season & NU only had the 1 home Saturday game in the B1G this year. Perhaps next year will be the year.

But, this year the Huskers were very close. Perhaps it's better that NU is not hosting this year with the gruesome nature of the defensive games lately, but it's stiil pretty cool to think about one day it will happen...

On a related, broadcasting note, Nebrasketball still has an opportunity for a CBS Sunday afternoon broadcast in the final few weekends of the regular season as Iowa comes into Lincoln 2/22 and Maryland will be here for the finale 3/8.

Also, in regards to the up-to-date B1G standings, after Purdue lost at Illinois tonight, Nebraska basketball is now tied for 7th place (upper half) at 3-3 with Purdue & Ohio State while MSU is one game up at 4-2; Looks like NU has a great opportunity to rise in the rankings proactively vs MSU (and likely boost RPI as well).

It is highly unlikely (in my opinion) that the NU/Iowa game gets picked by CBS, Maryland however is a different story especially if they continue to lead the standings in the Big Ten when it gets down to the time for CBS to select a game.

Any game that ends up on CBS will likely be either an 11:00 AM start or 2:00 PM start, if the games end up on BTN they could start as early as 3:00 or late as 7:30 on Sunday evening (something I really dislike, the 7:30 start that is).

Of course, the thread title is an ode to Lee Corso on the more famous football version of College GameDay. This weekend, I wondered if anyone else has contemplated how close Nebrasketball was to hosting College GameDay on Saturday vs MSU. This game was only selected a week ago for a 3pm broadcast on ESPN as Wisconsin at Michigan was ultimately chosen as the host for College GameDay shown at 5pm with the actual game-time of 6pm.

Very close...heard this was a chance since the schedule was released.  I think a Wisconsin win or a two more non-cons would have done it. Let's hope the lack of distraction is a benefit in this game.

Dickie V wants to come to Lincoln at the new Pinnacle Bank Arena, don't believe Vitale stated it would be his 1st time in Lincoln to call a game. Sorry, it seems that some misinterpreted the commentary in the OP.

I was probably mis-remembering that from a different post. Facts aren't always my jam either.

As much of a coup as it would be, man, I just can't stand listening to Vitale do color.  Brutal.  Just brutal.

Well, you'd be at the game, so there's that... my point of mentioning Dickie V is that Nebrasketball is on the forefront of the minds of the college basketball world, which would be sweet. In other words, it could be the early 90's reincarnated!

Dickie V wants to come to Lincoln at the new Pinnacle Bank Arena, don't believe Vitale stated it would be his 1st time in Lincoln to call a game. Sorry, it seems that some misinterpreted the commentary in the OP.

I was probably mis-remembering that from a different post. Facts aren't always my jam either.

All-time leading virtual assist-maker is right up your alley, droppin' dimes. Oh yeah, Awesome with a Capital ''A' babe-eeeeee! :D