Scouting Minnesota

hhcmatt

Minnesota is one of the conference's fastest team and Nebraska among the slower...we should see something inbetween.

Good:

Gophers have been hacking away regularly...we should see the Huskers make their way back to the FT line. On the flipside they're more of a jumpshooting team and don't draw a lot of contact on offense.

Gophers aren't a great rebounding team...especially on the defensive end. The Huskers should see more chances on missed offensive shots while not putting in much more effort than usual.

Gophers are a poor FT shooting team...they shoot 65%.  You can feel free to hack anyone over 6'5" who isn't Joey King + Freshman guard Nate Mason as none of those players shoot over 70%

Bad:

Gophers can shoot...they're at the top of most shooting % categories

They typically win the turnover battle.  They're top 5 in turnover % and top 5 in steal % in the country. The Huskers will be doing exceptional if they keep the turnovers under 10 in this game. 

Other

- BTN filmed a piece on Elliott Eliason in Chadron.  They are sending a camera crew to Lincoln on Tuesday to do a follow up.

- Gophers are a passing/assist type team.  In addition to Deandre Mathieu, freshman Nate Mason has been taking on that PG role.

- Gophers finally won a game in the conference...taking down Rutgers at home by 9. 

I have watched the gophers play three games so far this year.  They appear to be very talented, yet somewhat undercoached...if that makes sense.  When I humbly say that, these were a few of my observations:

- They would defend one or two passes and then their defense would break down.  Our recent style of play could prove positive.

- Offensively they would look very team oriented "on occasion," but oftentimes they relied on whoever gets the first touch, shoots.  They would go on binge scoring where they would score six to ten points quickly, but then stall out. 

- They have good inside and outside talent, yet their bigs would go minutes at a time without a touch. 

Overall, a game we can and should win at home. 

Who is the guy who looks like he has been photoshopped into the huddle? His hair looks to be a pale shade of green on my computer and he appears to be in some sort of trance. Just wondering.

I pulled that picture off of the Husker's instagram account. I don't think it's photoshoped and assume it's a coach or manager.

Edit: I'm told this is a particularly unflattering picture of Grad Assistant Jordan Hitchcock

I have watched the gophers play three games so far this year.  They appear to be very talented, yet somewhat undercoached...if that makes sense.  When I humbly say that, these were a few of my observations:

- They would defend one or two passes and then their defense would break down.  Our recent style of play could prove positive.

- Offensively they would look very team oriented "on occasion," but oftentimes they relied on whoever gets the first touch, shoots.  They would go on binge scoring where they would score six to ten points quickly, but then stall out. 

- They have good inside and outside talent, yet their bigs would go minutes at a time without a touch. 

Are some of the under-coaching issues on the offensive or defensive side?

A very old friend of mine, who is a life-long Louisville fan, adamantly maintains that Ric Pitino is a poor in-game offensive strategist.  Specifically that Pitino struggles devising plays in close games where Louisville is behind.  He claims Pitino wins because of (a) superb pre-game preparation and ( b ) better athletes.  Once Pitino has a manageable lead, Pitino's defenses can close out the games. However, Ric Pitino led teams struggle when the other side has adjusted to the offensive game plan.  From what I have seen of Richard Pitino, it would not surprise me if he has that issue as well.   

Are some of the under-coaching issues on the offensive or defensive side?

A very old friend of mine, who is a life-long Louisville fan, adamantly maintains that Ric Pitino is a poor in-game offensive strategist.  Specifically that Pitino struggles devising plays in close games where Louisville is behind.  He claims Pitino wins because of (a) superb pre-game preparation and ( b ) better athletes.  Once Pitino has a manageable lead, Pitino's defenses can close out the games. However, Ric Pitino led teams struggle when the other side has adjusted to the offensive game plan.  From what I have seen of Richard Pitino, it would not surprise me if he has that issue as well.   

There are times that Minnesota looks like they are playing a pick up game.  There was simply no continuity to their game. 

He might not play this game but we might see Gaston Diedhiou in our next matchup  with Minny.

He's a 21 year old international freshman who had eligibility issues ala Jorge Brian Diaz.

Also Elliason only played 4 minutes last game due to struggles and trying to get Bakary Konate playing time.

Their big men are sort of a paint-by-numbers situation at the moment.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/289167521.html

• 2 weeks later...

Last time out we had only 15 TOs against them. In the game they had 16.

We also outrebounded them by 1 total...though lost the offensive rebound battle 9-3

They threw a zone at us that gave us, SURPRISE, trouble. 

Andre Hollins had himself a night with 21 points and 11 boards

Leslee and Moses had 12 total minutes