What's up with Nick Fuller

He is not a good defender at the 4 but he is fine at the 3. Can't be worse than half the guys Creighton threw out at Shields and Petteway. Sometimes you have to give up some D to have shooters on the floor. Kyle freaking Korver guards enough in the NBA

He really was not fine at the three.  He is pretty sloth-like out on the perimeter.  And like it or not, he has to be able to defend to get on the floor.  This is not a comparison to Creighton or any other team for that matter.  What matter is what the coaching staff believes.  And apparently they do not believe he is ready to take minutes away from those who have earned the minutes.

He is not a good defender at the 4 but he is fine at the 3. Can't be worse than half the guys Creighton threw out at Shields and Petteway. Sometimes you have to give up some D to have shooters on the floor. Kyle freaking Korver guards enough in the NBA

He really was not fine at the three.  He is pretty sloth-like out on the perimeter.  And like it or not, he has to be able to defend to get on the floor.  This is not a comparison to Creighton or any other team for that matter.  What matter is what the coaching staff believes.  And apparently they do not believe he is ready to take minutes away from those who have earned the minutes.

Correct.  Trying to guard anyone on the perimeter is quite a challenge for Nick right now.  Not saying he can't get some minutes with the better matchups, but so far he indeed hasn't been "fine at the 3".

Disagree with you guys. You must get shooters on the floor. If a coach can't prepare a kid like fuller, McDermott has prepared three like him, to play well enough defensively than they aren't doing their job. Tonight and last night was a perfect time to spot up fuller in the corner. Teams are beating nebraska with zone defense and nebraska coaches refuse to play their best shooter against it.

Disagree with you guys. You must get shooters on the floor. If a coach can't prepare a kid like fuller, McDermott has prepared three like him, to play well enough defensively than they aren't doing their job. Tonight and last night was a perfect time to spot up fuller in the corner. Teams are beating nebraska with zone defense and nebraska coaches refuse to play their best shooter against it.

Wait.... Fuller a better shooter than Petteway?  Based on what?

Get a shooter on the floor. If he can shoot - get him out there.

Wait.... Fuller a better shooter than Petteway?  Based on what?

Huge difference between a scorer and a shooter. MJ much better score, Steve Kerr hands down the better shooter.

Even if Fuller only gets 10 minutes but he can drop 4-8 points would be huge.

The last game he actually played about 10 minutes and scored 6 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds and ZERO turnovers.

How would that be a liability when we need points and Tai isnt doing anything to help the team.  Give Fuller Webster's minutes and see what he can do

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it took him this long to work through getting cold-cocked by Leslee or if he just wasn't showing enough in practice, but it looks like we might see 20+ minutes of Fuller tonight.  Not sure if we'll carve those minutes from people or if Tai is going to the "David Rivers Phantom Zone"

We have a top 25 defense. We also barely have a top 250 offense.  At this moment in time I think we can live with some defensive laps if it leads to offensive production.  Minimally, I'd like to see a Gallegos-esque turnover rate from the guy.

I'm not sure if it took him this long to work through getting cold-cocked by Leslee or if he just wasn't showing enough in practice, but it looks like we might see 20+ minutes of Fuller tonight.  Not sure if we'll carve those minutes from people or if Tai is going to the "David Rivers Phantom Zone"

We have a top 25 defense. We also barely have a top 250 offense.  At this moment in time I think we can live with some defensive laps if it leads to offensive production.  Minimally, I'd like to see a Gallegos-esque turnover rate from the guy.

Top 25 defense is great.  Wonder what our average time to shoot is compared to the average teams time to take a shot.  Guessing that is helping the defense.

Top 25 defense is great.  Wonder what our average time to shoot is compared to the average teams time to take a shot.  Guessing that is helping the defense.

When I talk about top 25 defense, that's a tempo independent number.

We are playing fairly slowly though I would attribute that to the lack of depth.  One could argue that we limit our depth due to defense and very well might be correct.

We get back on defense which limits the speed of the other team....and limits our ability to get offensive rebounds. The other team has to play against our half court defense which also slows things down.

9b3fddc604.png

It would of been nice if Fuller saw more time in the non conference games to build his game and confidence more before the start of the Bigten, so to finally get his feet wet,  Fuller doing it against much better teams in the Bigten is impressive so far as a role player.   I thought his defense was respectable when he was in.  

After last night Tai Webster just isnt a spark or helps the team enough when he was in there compared to what Fuller has done with less minutes than Tai was getting before.

It would of been nice if Fuller saw more time in the non conference games to build his game and confidence more before the start of the Bigten, so to finally get his feet wet,  Fuller doing it against much better teams in the Bigten is impressive so far as a role player.   I thought his defense was respectable when he was in.  

After last night Tai Webster just isnt a spark or helps the team enough when he was in there compared to what Fuller has done with less minutes than Tai was getting before.

I guess going off the last few games and Fullers/Websters minutes we can assume Miles now trust Fuller more than Webster and Fuller has more potential than Webster?

On a serious note.  I know some stated Fuller was dealing with turf toe earlier in the year and that probably limited him during practice.  With that said,  I like what I see so far.  I don't think he's going to be a standout but he appears to be a savvy player.  Also, his effort has been great.  Not only this...but watching the past two games his guy has stayed glued to him.  When Webster is on the court just about everybody knows he can't shoot so they sag off and clog the driving lanes.