Listen to Ann, not Jean...

Huskerpapa

...Ann speaks for many of us.

http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letter-stay-until-the-end/article_823b4b84-84c8-529d-9a43-cac32eacaae6.html

It is very disconcerting that fans especially in the lower west bowl at Pinnacle Bank Arena seem to think that getting out of the parking lot early is more important than supporting the team.

At the very least, they should be forced to go up to the mezzanine level instead of exiting by way of the floor for players, dedicated fans and TV viewers to see. At the most, they should be booed by dedicated fans for their poor fan support.

Didn't this topic get beaten to death every season?

Fixed that for you.

No.  Not accurate. 

This is only our 2nd year in PBA. 

In Devaney, "lower bowl" types usually went UP to get to the exits.  Wasn't so noticeable.

At PBA, they walk down to floor level and stream out like army ants leaving the colony.

Really stands out like a sore thumb when they do it here. 

Bravo, Ann.

Well played, Ann.

At Devaney, B and C sections had no access to the floor. B people walked up to the landings and C people walked down to them. Wasn't this true or am I not remembering this correctly? There were way less people down in the A section who could access the floor. If those people were leaving, they could exit any of 4 corners, probably using the nearest one. They most likely did not walk down a sideline and then across a baseline like they do now at PBA. Also, at Devaney, a majority of the crowd (maybe 75%?) used the ramps as their point of exit. At PBA, everyone exiting out the south end uses ground floor as their point of exit.

What is in the corner by the band that people cannot exit there? Or is it just more convenient to exit out the SE corner? There have been games where there is quite the stream backed up to exit from that SE corner. I sit in the upper portion of the lower bowl and I'm going to be pretty crabby if that stream is in my aisle as I'm trying to watch the final few minutes.

Well played, Ann.

At Devaney, B and C sections had no access to the floor. B people walked up to the landings and C people walked down to them. Wasn't this true or am I not remembering this correctly? There were way less people down in the A section who could access the floor. If those people were leaving, they could exit any of 4 corners, probably using the nearest one. They most likely did not walk down a sideline and then across a baseline like they do now at PBA. Also, at Devaney, a majority of the crowd (maybe 75%?) used the ramps as their point of exit. At PBA, everyone exiting out the south end uses ground floor as their point of exit.

What is in the corner by the band that people cannot exit there? Or is it just more convenient to exit out the SE corner? There have been games where there is quite the stream backed up to exit from that SE corner. I sit in the upper portion of the lower bowl and I'm going to be pretty crabby if that stream is in my aisle as I'm trying to watch the final few minutes.

This year for the women's games they open the exit by the band. You go down a hall way (where the officials locker rooms are) to the area right before you go into the arena then turn right and you are in the lobby. I seem to be able to get out of PBA faster this year going that way, as last year I walked up to the concourse and then down the stairs.

Same as Devaney, people are leaving early.  Usually a stream at the under 4 timeout.  Not unexpected as there are still many terrible basketball fans that have made it over to the new building.

The big problem, and why it's more noticeable now, is the way they designed this building and are letting people exit.  They messed up bigtime by not making a full concourse around the bottom level of the arena, instead of just that little lobby that probably 75% of the patrons are entering/exiting from.

There are probably 20-ft wide hallways underneath the stands on each side of the 100 level but they don't let people use them because they connect to various private areas.  Herding people into those and not allowing them to walk in front of the stands would solve everything, but doubtful that they do that.  But would by far be the easiest/most fan-friendly solution.

Also could open the SW floor level exit which would keep people from walking in front of the student section on the south end, but will still have the dumbshits from the north end walking in front of the sideline students to leave.

The only other viable solution I see that will completely stop this is control that lower SW corner, both in and out so that only students and the people sitting on the court can use that entrance/exit until the game ends.  Just have a couple of the 95 extra ushers that stand around with their thumbs up their asses make sure you have a wristband or lanyard to go in and out.  Everybody else besides students and courtside have to exit from the 100 level concourse, until the buzzer sounds and then it's open to all.

People are going to leave early.  I am going to leave early once it is clear the game is decided.  I guess you can beef about it.  It just isn't going to change anything.   

It's not my fault PBA only allows one exit on the floor to be used at the end of games.  If they opened up all four exits I would use the one closest to me.  But I have no intention of walking up to the second level and then around and back down to get out.  Boo me all you want.  But your real beef is with the PBA.  

And the idea that they would block all four floor exits seems impossible.  A hefty percentage of the crowd sits in the lower bowl as compared to the Devaney.  I would love to see someone try to make all that mass of people head up to the second bowl to get out.  I can't see it, but you could try. 

Really, they just need to open up all four floor exits.  But for some reason they won't.  I have tried multiple times to use the floor exit closest to where we sit and they won't allow it.  

People are going to leave early.  I am going to leave early once it is clear the game is decided.  I guess you can beef about it.  It just isn't going to change anything.   

It's not my fault PBA only allows one exit on the floor to be used at the end of games.  If they opened up all four exits I would use the one closest to me.  But I have no intention of walking up to the second level and then around and back down to get out.  Boo me all you want.  But your real beef is with the PBA.  

And the idea that they would block all four floor exits seems impossible.  A hefty percentage of the crowd sits in the lower bowl as compared to the Devaney.  I would love to see someone try to make all that mass of people head up to the second bowl to get out.  I can't see it, but you could try. 

Really, they just need to open up all four floor exits.  But for some reason they won't.  I have tried multiple times to use the floor exit closest to where we sit and they won't allow it.  

Tbow, just curious:  Why do you leave once it's clear the game is decided?  

To beat the traffic.

The question I have, and this is truly not disrespectful; when is the game clear?  When people are leaving with four or even eight minutes left in the game...who is to say that one team or the other could get hot? 

I guess it is a person's right to leave when he or she wants to, but my mindset is why would you want to?  To me it is not necessarily the early exit, it is more so the manner and location of the exit.  Please, please do not block my view...ever.  And as often as I can, I am standing.  Also, make sure you do not walk in front of the students who are attempting to be loud and into the game.  And do not walk between the band and their conductor...that seems rude at best. 

Oh well, it is a pet peeve of mine and it going to happen at Nebraska...it happens at baseball games, it happens at football games and it will likely continue to happen at basketball games.

It is certainly commendable to even attend a night game in winter if one is from Trumbull or any other place other than Lincoln. Just be as unobtrusive as possible to those who are staying. I sit in the front row at football games and nothing is more annoying than some 300 pound buffalo who wants to get to the feed/drink trough early parking his or her butt in my face while they try to see if we are going to score another touchdown. It would seem that the arena is at fault here since there appear to be other options available.

It is certainly commendable to even attend a night game in winter if one is from Trumbull or any other place other than Lincoln. Just be as unobtrusive as possible to those who are staying. I sit in the front row at football games and nothing is more annoying than some 300 pound buffalo who wants to get to the feed/drink trough early parking his or her butt in my face while they try to see if we are going to score another touchdown. It would seem that the arena is at fault here since there appear to be other options available.

Haha...you are correct with the biggins at football game.  I sit at the end of a row.  I can't tell you how many times I have taken a head shot from people attempting to squeeze through or worse, concession workers who turn sideways and provides me a shot.  All those blows to my head is likely the cause of my incoherent takes on this board :)

Is that you Jimmy? Sorry about that but a fat man's gotta eat and if it all you can eat well...:)

No secret - I don't want to spend one extra second in traffic beyond what is necessary.

No secret - I don't want to spend one extra second in traffic beyond what is necessary.

The traffic isn't that bad, So what is the real reason. Do you live in Lincoln?