Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 9 - Cincinnati

hhcmatt

What sticks out to me most last night after reflecting on the game, is the possession where Tai got fouled in the corner by the bench. I believe this was after he made his three pointer. But anyways, he got fouled and pumped his fist as if he was excited to go to the line for a chance to bring the game within 1. Such a little act, but it showed me that Tai believes in himself, is confident in himself, and understood the importance those 2 free throws would have on the impact of the game. I didn't expect to see that from a kid who's been struggling in almost every facet of the game, in all honesty I was expecting two clanks with the type of thoughts that had to be going through his head. But Tai pulled through in the clutch and I'm very happy for him

Tai was huge.  Maybe this will be a turning point for him.  Up until now I've been very skeptical of his progress...hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.

I'd be feeling terrible right now if we lost. Instead, I'm hopeful we can work on fixing our offense this next week. We made 16 field goals in a 50-minute game. Does anyone know the last time that we averaged 0.32 field goals per minute or worse? This would be 12 field goals in a 40-minute game!

I don't know the answer to this question. It hasn't happened in the Tim Miles era, though. The previous low for FGs/minute was 0.35 - we made 14 FGs in a non-overtime loss to Illinois on 1/22/13.

Is interesting but good to see somebody who is older and has some pull with a certain demograhic calling them out.

Is interesting but good to see somebody who is older and has some pull with a certain demograhic calling them out.

Walton typically has a couple of sports comments at the end of his columns. L Kent Wolgamott also is a pretty big Husker Hoops fan.

Six guys played 28 or more minutes.  1 guy played 6 minutes.  No one else played.  In a 48 minute game.

Look at the box score and you see who Tim Miles has the most confidence in.

We can bash Tai all we want and say that Fuller or someone else should be getting his minutes, but this box score is a really good indication of who the head coach thinks can give this team the best opportunities to win games.

So ugly. I hope the season turns with that game. If nothing else, a lot of tougherness was gained tonight.

I think every game I've watched Cinci under Cronin turns ugly.  Just their style of play.  We helped that's for sure.  Much much needed win...now if we could just find away to win out in Hawaii we will be about where I thought we would be record wise going into the Big Ten. 

They had to beat traffic?

When Miles came in he said we would run the motion offense. Then that first year claimed we didn't have the personnel to run the full offense so instead would be just doing certain sets or pieces that played into the players we did have. That claim was again made at the beginning of last season. We seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season. As far as I can tell, the only set piece we run this year is the one where everyone stands in place until the shot clock winds down until finally Rivers or Pitchford rumble up from the post to set the ball screen for TP.

Not to be argumentative, but I disagree with that assessment. I think you can run motion with anyone you have because it's so flexible. 5 out, 4 out & 1 in, 3 out & 2 in, you can focus on cutting or screening or ball screens or handoffs or dribble drives. You can go from very basic to very complicated based on your personal. And we run lots of set pieces or quick hitters if you will, double low picks for the pop followed by the curl cut, the back pick someone was talking about as a secondary. There are lots of ways to be successful at basketball. I like motion. They way it looks and feels, they way it makes the defense guard all 5 players all the time, the freedom it gives the players to be creative which makes it harder to guard. You can win running the Flex (Sorry flex guys but I see it as the antithesis to the motion). You don't have to run a motion to be successful. I just wish they would. 

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

Regarding the motion offense, Miles commented on his radio show just a couple weeks ago that he thought/expected this team would be much further along in that regard than we actually are.  He said he has tried to implement the motion offense every year since he has been here but the players struggle grasping the concept and in the end has had to go to more sets instead.  Miles taught the motion in the preseason and tried to have the team run motion in a couple of the early non-conf games this year and it was bad, the players did not execute it well at all.   In the end, he basically said that "players today" really struggle to run motion concepts and so he has to install and run more sets even though his preference would be to run more motion.

Six guys played 28 or more minutes.  1 guy played 6 minutes.  No one else played.  In a 48 minute game.

We can bash Tai all we want and say that Fuller or someone else should be getting his minutes, but this box score is a really good indication of who the head coach thinks can give this team the best opportunities to win games.

Yeah, true. But, as a matter of clarity, the game was 50 minutes. Walt played 48, when he had been averaging 22...

I think Walt not getting in foul trouble allowed Tim to play him all the minutes he did. I know that is very obvious, but it is the truth. Also Cinncinati's physicql play and speed was also a factor on who saw the court.

One good thing is that both Fuller and Hammons have four more years here to get stronger and get on the floor more. It will click for these two, just not as fast as we had hoped it would.

Also want to add I liked that Tim didn't sub so fast on Saturday. The starters played for sometime before guys where rotated in. We have usually had at least one change before the under 16 timeout and it was way after thatnthis game.

I understand you want fresh legs and all, but sometimes it is like we sub because that is what the unwritten rules tell you. I of course have never lost a game as a Nebraska head coach so he sholud listen to what I have been saying today.:)

When Miles came in he said we would run the motion offense. Then that first year claimed we didn't have the personnel to run the full offense so instead would be just doing certain sets or pieces that played into the players we did have. That claim was again made at the beginning of last season. We seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season. As far as I can tell, the only set piece we run this year is the one where everyone stands in place until the shot clock winds down until finally Rivers or Pitchford rumble up from the post to set the ball screen for TP.

Not to be argumentative, but I disagree with that assessment. I think you can run motion with anyone you have because it's so flexible. 5 out, 4 out & 1 in, 3 out & 2 in, you can focus on cutting or screening or ball screens or handoffs or dribble drives. You can go from very basic to very complicated based on your personal. And we run lots of set pieces or quick hitters if you will, double low picks for the pop followed by the curl cut, the back pick someone was talking about as a secondary. There are lots of ways to be successful at basketball. I like motion. They way it looks and feels, they way it makes the defense guard all 5 players all the time, the freedom it gives the players to be creative which makes it harder to guard. You can win running the Flex (Sorry flex guys but I see it as the antithesis to the motion). You don't have to run a motion to be successful. I just wish they would. 

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

Regarding the motion offense, Miles commented on his radio show just a couple weeks ago that he thought/expected this team would be much further along in that regard than we actually are.  He said he has tried to implement the motion offense every year since he has been here but the players struggle grasping the concept and in the end has had to go to more sets instead.  Miles taught the motion in the preseason and tried to have the team run motion in a couple of the early non-conf games this year and it was bad, the players did not execute it well at all.   In the end, he basically said that "players today" really struggle to run motion concepts and so he has to install and run more sets even though his preference would be to run more motion.

I assume that Tarrin ran motion under Coach Hurley.

In Hawaii when we play 3 games in 4 days I'd expect to see Tarrin, Nick, and Hammond play more than they have in the past.

I think if it had been a different opponent that Nick and Jacob would have played Saturday.  I just think Miles concluded they were not ready yet to handle the kind of defensive pressure that Cincinnati was able to apply.

Six guys played 28 or more minutes. 1 guy played 6 minutes. No one else played. In a 48 minute game.

Yeah, true. But, as a matter of clarity, the game was 50 minutes. Walt played 48, when he had been averaging 22...

48, 50, whatever it takes.

Cinci was a bad matchup for Fuller and, to a lesser extent, Hammond.  

Tai played well.  I was thrilled to see it.  I think if they're both playing well, Tai is the obvious choice.  We need about five more games of Tai being an effective role player before anyone can get used to it.

I still think Hammond has enough game to help us regardless of Walt's minutes.  

Not a good situation for Fuller at all. He looked a little tentative out there against Incarnate Word, so I don't think Tim wanted to throw him out there against that style of defense in his 2nd true game experience and risk turnovers. They ended up turning it over anyway, though. I hope he gets some serious time in Hawaii.

I loved the look of this lineup during Incarnate Word if Nick and Pitch can get their stroke:

PG: Benny

SG: Terran

SF: Shavon

PF: Fuller

C: Pitchford

That would open up the lanes a bit.