Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 9 - Cincinnati

hhcmatt

Terran has got to be the best player Nebraska has had that fans don't like.

I love the guy, but man, the fan base isn't as crazy about him because he wears his emotions on his sleeve.

Yeah had to get on the guy behind me when after ripping on TERRAN and the whole team, but he got my calm down dude when he screamed the f-bomb Terran. Be mad but keep the language under control man.

Lots of people were criticizing TP at this point last year as well.  He is definitely a player where you have to take the bad with the good.  The good things he does are very good - and I think we get more of that because he has the freedom and confidence on the court that lets some of the bad come out as well.   Miles gives him a lot of rope - sometimes he hangs himself with it - and sometime he swings from the branches like Tarzan and is a hero.   Out last two coaches would have definitely tried to reign him in and I don't think that would work with TP.   Certainly you point out mistakes and try to get him to work on eliminating them - but you have to let him play his game as well.

That said we really need other guys to step up because teams are focusing so much on Terran and Shavon.    Walt was a warrior tonight for sure.  We need to see that part of him every night and hope to get a little more of the dead-eye shooter as well.   We really need Tai to keep taking steps forward on the offensive end also.  If those two can take some pressure of Terran and Shavon good things will happen.

Walt was huge!!  48 minutes, 10 huge boards!!  Still struggled shooting, but I will take that effort every night.

David was also huge!!  47 minutes!!  Only credited with 8 rebounds!!  A bunch of rebounds the others got were because he did a fantastic job boxing out!!

Tai also played well!!  Struggled a little on defense, but went 6-6 from the line, had a huge offensive rebound to extend the play for Benny's game winner, and had his biggest 3 of his career (could be because he hasn't made many :-)

It was a nice win when Terran and Shavon struggled, going 8-24 from the line.

Key stats:  Only outrebounded by 1, and went 20-23 from the line.

I can understand exclamation points after a two overtime win but I couldn't muster one for whatever you call what happened tonight. Big win yes. Huge problems if we drop three in a row but I repeat myself:

I'm a fan of well played basketball and a nebraskaball fan. It's too bad I can't watch the two at the same time.

After the week the players, fans, and coaches had it would have been a difficult loss to take.  We really needed it.

I liked some things I saw.  Walt being the biggest.  He has a bright future if he can bring it like that every night, and start hitting his shots.  This team will go as Walt goes.

I agree with you completely. Huge win for the Huskers. Just saying aesthetically that may be some of the ugliest athletic contest (still can't force myself to refer to that stuff as basketball), I've seen and it's basically  the way things have looked every time the Huskers have taken the floor this year. I was so excited when I heard that Coach Miles used the motion offense. I wonder if we'll ever see any of it?

Dean - I get what your are saying.   But when you combine Cincy's style of play with ref's blowing a slow whistle this is the kind of game you are going to get.   It was a pure street fight against kids who were clearly bigger and stronger and still we came out on top.   Viewed that way it was fun to watch - but I will admit really more of an MMA battle than a basketball game.  Certainly Cincinnati likes refs that let them play - but in this game we needed that also as they had way more depth and foul trouble would have taken us completely out of the game.  I think Miles recognized that early and thus could not get too upset with the way the game was being officiated.  (FWIW I did not think the officiating was bad in the sense of being one-sided - we got away with a lot of stuff too.  They just really let ALOT of contact go - which you don't see much anymore).

I also understand your point about motion offense because we really don't see anything that I would call motion offense with ball movement.  Everything we run is predicated on dribble-drive and betting the first guy off the dribble.  Any passing game seems to come only after you get the defense to adjust based on helping off the dribble drive.   Tonight we could not get anywhere with the dribble drive and when they helped off it was to trap.  Shavon really struggled to get anywhere as he was trying to drive against guys who were bigger, stronger and quicker than he is - plus he was really struggling with the traps.   He obviously got very frustrated that he could not get a call - but to his credit he did keep working and battling.

Walt was huge!! 48 minutes, 10 huge boards!! Still struggled shooting, but I will take that effort every night.

David was also huge!! 47 minutes!! Only credited with 8 rebounds!! A bunch of rebounds the others got were because he did a fantastic job boxing out!!

Tai also played well!! Struggled a little on defense, but went 6-6 from the line, had a huge offensive rebound to extend the play for Benny's game winner, and had his biggest 3 of his career (could be because he hasn't made many :-)

It was a nice win when Terran and Shavon struggled, going 8-24 from the line.

Key stats: Only outrebounded by 1, and went 20-23 from the line.

I can understand exclamation points after a two overtime win but I couldn't muster one for whatever you call what happened tonight. Big win yes. Huge problems if we drop three in a row but I repeat myself:

I'm a fan of well played basketball and a nebraskaball fan. It's too bad I can't watch the two at the same time.

After the week the players, fans, and coaches had it would have been a difficult loss to take. We really needed it.

I liked some things I saw. Walt being the biggest. He has a bright future if he can bring it like that every night, and start hitting his shots. This team will go as Walt goes.

I agree with you completely. Huge win for the Huskers. Just saying aesthetically that may be some of the ugliest athletic contest (still can't force myself to refer to that stuff as basketball), I've seen and it's basically the way things have looked every time the Huskers have taken the floor this year. I was so excited when I heard that Coach Miles used the motion offense. I wonder if we'll ever see any of it?

Dean - I get what your are saying. But when you combine Cincy's style of play with ref's blowing a slow whistle this is the kind of game you are going to get. It was a pure street fight against kids who were clearly bigger and stronger and still we came out on top. Viewed that way it was fun to watch - but I will admit really more of an MMA battle than a basketball game. Certainly Cincinnati likes refs that let them play - but in this game we needed that also as they had way more depth and foul trouble would have taken us completely out of the game. I think Miles recognized that early and thus could not get too upset with the way the game was being officiated. (FWIW I did not think the officiating was bad in the sense of being one-sided - we got away with a lot of stuff too. They just really let ALOT of contact go - which you don't see much anymore).

I also understand your point about motion offense because we really don't see anything that I would call motion offense with ball movement. Everything we run is predicated on dribble-drive and betting the first guy off the dribble. Any passing game seems to come only after you get the defense to adjust based on helping off the dribble drive. Tonight we could not get anywhere with the dribble drive and when they helped off it was to trap. Shavon really struggled to get anywhere as he was trying to drive against guys who were bigger, stronger and quicker than he is - plus he was really struggling with the traps. He obviously got very frustrated that he could not get a call - but to his credit he did keep working and battling.

Motion can be predicated on ball movement, player movement or both. We are getting neither. Lots of standing around dribbling in one place with a couple of handoffs every now and then. Looks like a 1970's NBA game. It's what we've done all year, not just against Cincy. I am simplifying my critique and it is an asthetic thing for me, but I'm sure right now Miles isn't too thrilled with the results either.

Terran has got to be the best player Nebraska has had that fans don't like.

I love the guy, but man, the fan base isn't as crazy about him because he wears his emotions on his sleeve

Any problem I have with Terran has nothing to do with his emotions, it's his shot selection and careless turnovers. I and would never even use the phrase, "I have a problem" when discussing Terran. He is Nebraska's best offensive player and will need to take tougher shots than anyone else on the team. But a good shot is not determined by whether it goes in or not. A missed good shot is still a good shot and a made bad shot is still a bad shot. There are some shots he takes that should never happen and some shots he takes that would be OK in the last seconds of the shot clock but not in the first few seconds of the shot clock.

As well,  aggressive players will have more turnovers, I get that. But he has too many of the careless variety. Those should be easy to fix simply with better concentration and mental effort. Physical effort is a strong point for Terran, mental effort not always.  I also acknowledge that no one can be 100% focused and sharp 100% of time. It is physically, mentally and emotionally impossible. He has shown that he can do it, I would just like to hold him to that higher standard for a much higher percentage of the time. 

I appreciate all the great things Terran brings to the team. I am thrilled to death he is a Husker. But everyone can get better and I think he can get better by holding him to some higher standards in a couple of areas and by making him more accountable for his actions involving those areas on the floor. I will now go on to acknowledge  that its not easy doing all that without curtailing what makes him really good and that's the type of challenge that Miles gets the big money for.

When Miles came in he said we would run the motion offense. Then that first year claimed we didn't have the personnel to run the full offense so instead would be just doing certain sets or pieces that played into the players we did have. That claim was again made at the beginning of last season. We seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season. As far as I can tell, the only set piece we run this year is the one where everyone stands in place until the shot clock winds down until finally Rivers or Pitchford rumble up from the post to set the ball screen for TP.

When Miles came in he said we would run the motion offense. Then that first year claimed we didn't have the personnel to run the full offense so instead would be just doing certain sets or pieces that played into the players we did have. That claim was again made at the beginning of last season. We seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season. As far as I can tell, the only set piece we run this year is the one where everyone stands in place until the shot clock winds down until finally Rivers or Pitchford rumble up from the post to set the ball screen for TP.

Not to be argumentative, but I disagree with that assessment. I think you can run motion with anyone you have because it's so flexible. 5 out, 4 out & 1 in, 3 out & 2 in, you can focus on cutting or screening or ball screens or handoffs or dribble drives. You can go from very basic to very complicated based on your personal. And we run lots of set pieces or quick hitters if you will, double low picks for the pop followed by the curl cut, the back pick someone was talking about as a secondary. There are lots of ways to be successful at basketball. I like motion. They way it looks and feels, they way it makes the defense guard all 5 players all the time, the freedom it gives the players to be creative which makes it harder to guard. You can win running the Flex (Sorry flex guys but I see it as the antithesis to the motion). You don't have to run a motion to be successful. I just wish they would. 

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

Not to be argumentative, but I disagree with that assessment. I think you can run motion with anyone you have because it's so flexible. 5 out, 4 out & 1 in, 3 out & 2 in, you can focus on cutting or screening or ball screens or handoffs or dribble drives. You can go from very basic to very complicated based on your personal. And we run lots of set pieces or quick hitters if you will, double low picks for the pop followed by the curl cut, the back pick someone was talking about as a secondary. There are lots of ways to be successful at basketball. I like motion. They way it looks and feels, they way it makes the defense guard all 5 players all the time, the freedom it gives the players to be creative which makes it harder to guard. You can win running the Flex (Sorry flex guys but I see it as the antithesis to the motion). You don't have to run a motion to be successful. I just wish they would. 

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

Spot on, Dean.  The evolution of the (what I'll call Bobby Knight) Motion Offense (reading screens, post entry, spacing) with the addition of Dribble Drive Motion and Read and React Motion offenses has turned "motion" into the most desirable thing to run - and when operated properly, the most beautiful thing to watch.  

I've been VERY disappointed with our offense and our offensive philosophy the past three years.  It's not what I thought we were getting with Coach Miles.  I believe I've been pretty vocal about it too.  It's the one thing that needs to be corrected.  He's proven that he's gonna get dudes in here that can play.  Our style should be suffocating defense (which it has been when we play well) because of our athletes, and attack at you, motion-style, transition offense.  It's anti-Big10 basketball, quite frankly - but sometimes you need to go against the grain when everyone else is doing things one way.  

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

I do agree with you when you said "we seemed to have more movement and better natural flow, cutting, passing, etc last season." We don't have that now and I am wishing we could get it back.

Just to be clear that was not my assessment of why we weren't running a full blown motion offense. Those were basically my recollection of direct quotes from Miles as to the reasons he felt we were unable to do everything he wanted within the offense. The personnel issue was the reason he gave for having to run fragmented sets and pieces.

Post game notes and quotes

Nebraska Postgame Notes: 
*-Tonight is the Huskers’ first OT game at Pinnacle Bank and the Huskers’ first double OT game since a 64-61 double OT win at USC on Nov. 14, 2011.
*-Nebraska has now won its last five multiple overtime games dating back to the start of the 1999-2000 season.
*-Nebraska picks up its first-ever win against Cincinnati in five games. 
*-Walter Pitchford’s 10 rebounds in a season high and the third time he has grabbed 10 or more rebounds in his career.
*-Nebraska held Cincinnati to 31.7 percent shooting, which is a low by a Huskers opponent. The previous low was 32.8 percent shooting by Central Arkansas on Nov. 18. 
*-Terran Petteway finished with 13 points, his 20th straight game in double figures. It is the longest stretch by a Husker since the 1998-99 season.
*-David Rivers finished with eight rebounds, the fourth straight game with at least six rebounds.
*-Nebraska’s 22 turnovers is a high in Tim Miles’ three seasons at Nebraska

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles

Opening Statement:

"We asked our guys before the game, we said, "When you're struggling, just play hard. Get back to the basics. Play great defense." I know Cincinnati is like us. The aren't a great scoring team, but, I said "Out hustle them. Let's out rebound them." We were even, practically, on the glass. I thought that our guys really showed a lot of mental toughness tonight in hanging in there. Cincinnati does what Cincinnati does, which is make it a really physical game. They are unbelievable on the glass and they turn you over. Mick is a great coach and his staff do a phenomenal job. I was proud that our kids came back when we were down three in the first overtime and found a way to tie it. That was big. We found a way to win. We kept the ball alive. Your superman, Benny, comes flying in there and hits the floater. Just what you drew up. I's proud of Benny and the way those guys played. We are down to nine scholarship guys, we decided to keep a short bench tonight. That was tough. those guys played a lot of minutes."

On importance of winning tonight's game

"You could see we were skittish as soon as it got close in the first half. The only way to get any confidence is to earn confidence, and I think the only way to do that is come out on top and win. I'm just so thankful for these guys and the effort they put in tonight. Nobody had an ego. The only time there was frustration was when somebody made a mistake. Terran would have a turnover or Shavon. They both slipped on some stuff. The crowd was amazing. You could see the difference in our guys' effort and stance when the crowd got into it. What a great night at Pinnacle Bank Arena."

On using this game to gain confidence

"Well sooner or later we had to gain some. There was no doubt that this game came down to let's out hustle them, let’s beat them on the glass, let's do something nobody expects us to do. The efforts we got from some guys, like Pitchford gets 10 rebounds, Rivers get eight, Terran got nine in limited play. Those are really good numbers for us. Then, to find a way to win. They were in a match up zone. They haven't played in 10 days, and they haven't shown a whole lot of match-up zone, so to me that as different. I thought they did an outstanding job."

On fight and toughness during game

"I think it says a great deal about their toughness and their maturity. We gave one away on Wednesday, but maybe we don't win this one if we don't do that. Who knows. But I am just so happy for our guys to go out, play their butts off, scrap, fight and hustle and just fight to the end and find a way to win. It's really fun to be around this group."

On using this win to gain momentum

"We are going to Hawaii so we have plenty of momentum. Don't worry about it."

On previous games that went into overtime

"Yeah. I was in triple overtime game in 2006 where nobody made a game winning shot. So at least we had one guy throw it in there late. So at least we had one guy make a shot. I think that was against Minnesota-Duluth and we beat them by one."

On physicality of the game

"This was a physical confrontation from the get go. We knew what it was going to be. That's the way they play. I thought we were able to match that, and I thought we really scrapped and fought. It's hard to say we outhustled them because those guys fought so hard too and they forced turnovers. But there is no question that that was just a rock fight."

On Cincinnati's pressure

"There pressure was outstanding. They just get you and there's constant contact. Soon pretty soon it numbs the authority of everybody out there. Now they get some turnovers and deflections. If you ask Mick, he knows every deflection they get and how many at every four minutes. That is there deal. So you just have to handle it."

On the rebounding

"What's funny is we didn't do one rebounding drill. All we did was tell these guys and show them tape. Rebounding and blocking is just a commitment to doing all the little things and being physical. Its a commitment to mental toughness. Our guys knew the the only way we would win this game is if we out-toughed them. And we did. On play. One point. Whatever it might be."

Nebraska Forward Shavon Shields

On the victory

"It was good. It was good to get that monkey off our back. We kind of had a rough week and we lost two games earlier in the week--all on things we can control. I think tonight we did great job of bouncing back, staying together and focusing on what we could control and at the end we got the victory." 

On how the team battled back

"I think it showed that we have matured. We found a way to win and found a way to finish the game. Instead of kind of fragmenting like we would last year, we came together and everyone was talking in the huddle and everyone knew what we needed to do. At the end of the game, we made one more play in order to win the game and that was big. That is kind of what we have been preaching, toughness and what we need to do to be successful and get back to what made us successful in the first place. Everything else will fall back into place. 

Nebraska Guard Benny Parker

On his last shot--floater

"I just looked up and saw that the clock was running down. I saw an open lane, and we have been working on floaters all week because they were big and athletic. We worked on it in practice and I was able to knock it down." 

Nebraska Forward Walter Pitchford

On his post game tonight and his play in the paint

"We had to step up. Coach told us that is what we had to do leading up to this game. I think we executed it pretty well. We battled, played our butts off and grinded through it. It was excellent. 

On how NU rebounded

"Just not take a play off you know. Coach always preaches about rebounding. He basically emphasized and told me to be more active. Be more active on the defense and on the boards. I think we did a great job of that." 

On if they will be sore tomorrow

Benny: "Most definitely" 

Shavon "For sure." 

On if any of them had been in combat like that

Shavon: "Yeah the Big Ten is kind of like that, as the season gets long. Down the stretch in the Big Ten every single game is going to be like that. You just have to be prepared for it and fight through it."

Cincinnati Head Coach Mick Cronin

On if the amount of chances to win the game made the end painful

"Losing is always painful, but when you have the game won a few times and make a couple of really dumb defensive plays--up three and foul. Up two and foul. When you do that, usually the basketball gods get you--I always say that. When  I am sitting at home and that stuff happens, basketball gods get you, and they got us. That and free throw shooting. So you know, I am proud of our team. Nebraska has got probably outside of Louisville the best arena I have ever been in. Great home crowd and obviously they were in desperation mode today, trying to get a win. We couldn't throw it into the ocean from the beach, and I don't know, we came out of the first half only down two. I think we definitely grew as a team tonight. We learned and stayed together and competed. It is just a shame that we did not get the win, because obviously we basically gave the game away with two fouls." 

On offensive struggles
"Well we had 18 turnovers and we did not really get much on the interior. When ever you struggle to score on the interior, you are going to struggle. The game was extremely physical. You got a blood bath underneath, but then the foul call on Jermaine Sanders is beyond my comprehension. Been around the game since I was born, you get to see it all." 

On how the team recovers
"Oh it is a long year, I am going to try and get something to eat and get ready for San Diego State, ain't nothing else you can do. It is tough. I believe part of the process of becoming a team is you got to go through things, whether that is going through success, if we ever have any, or dealing with losses. The psychology of the team, you either get tougher or fall apart. For us, I knew it would have to be in growth pattern. I have had bad losses." 

"The way our travel is going, I just hope we make it home. We have the worst charter company in the history of college basketball."

Honestly, it is easy peasy to criticize our offense last night.  But instead of looking at our poor execution, you must also give major props to the Bear Cat defense.  Those men could play defense.  They were long, quick and very physical.  They did a great job stepping into passing lanes, and their quick feet consistantly cut off our directional play.

Yes, our offense needs to continue to improve.  Yes, sometimes Shavon passed on shots he should have taken.  Yes, Shavon needs different shoes. Yes, Terran sometimes shows too much emotion and sometimes makes ill advised passes and jacks shots that he shouldn't.  But man, our two go-to players are Terran and Shavon.  They will take their shots...they must take their shots. 

Honestly, it is easy peasy to criticize our offense last night. But instead of looking at our poor execution, you must also give major props to the Bear Cat defense. Those men could play defense. They were long, quick and very physical. They did a great job stepping into passing lanes, and their quick feet consistantly cut off our directional play.

Yes, our offense needs to continue to improve. Yes, sometimes Shavon passed on shots he should have taken. Yes, Shavon needs different shoes. Yes, Terran sometimes shows too much emotion and sometimes makes ill advised passes and jacks shots that he shouldn't. But man, our two go-to players are Terran and Shavon. They will take their shots...they must take their shots.

I don't know if you are referencing one if my posts, but if you are - man did you miss the point.

Honestly, it is easy peasy to criticize our offense last night. But instead of looking at our poor execution, you must also give major props to the Bear Cat defense. Those men could play defense. They were long, quick and very physical. They did a great job stepping into passing lanes, and their quick feet consistantly cut off our directional play.

Yes, our offense needs to continue to improve. Yes, sometimes Shavon passed on shots he should have taken. Yes, Shavon needs different shoes. Yes, Terran sometimes shows too much emotion and sometimes makes ill advised passes and jacks shots that he shouldn't. But man, our two go-to players are Terran and Shavon. They will take their shots...they must take their shots.

I don't know if you are referencing one if my posts, but if you are - man did you miss the point.

Nope...in fact I don't remember reading your post(s). 

Are you just as snide in your conversations with god?

Are you just as snide in your conversations with god?

Huh???  I am not quite sure what you are referencing Dean.  Sorry if you think I am taking some sort of shot at you.  I will repeat what I said a couple of days ago.  I took time away from HHC starting after the Creighton loss.  I just returned. 

What sticks out to me most last night after reflecting on the game, is the possession where Tai got fouled in the corner by the bench. I believe this was after he made his three pointer. But anyways, he got fouled and pumped his fist as if he was excited to go to the line for a chance to bring the game within 1. Such a little act, but it showed me that Tai believes in himself, is confident in himself, and understood the importance those 2 free throws would have on the impact of the game. I didn't expect to see that from a kid who's been struggling in almost every facet of the game, in all honesty I was expecting two clanks with the type of thoughts that had to be going through his head. But Tai pulled through in the clutch and I'm very happy for him