Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 9 - Cincinnati

hhcmatt

Walt was huge!!  48 minutes, 10 huge boards!!  Still struggled shooting, but I will take that effort every night.

David was also huge!!  47 minutes!!  Only credited with 8 rebounds!!  A bunch of rebounds the others got were because he did a fantastic job boxing out!!

Tai also played well!!  Struggled a little on defense, but went 6-6 from the line, had a huge offensive rebound to extend the play for Benny's game winner, and had his biggest 3 of his career (could be because he hasn't made many :-)

It was a nice win when Terran and Shavon struggled, going 8-24 from the floor.

Key stats:  Only outrebounded by 1, and went 20-23 from the line.

Walt was huge!!  48 minutes, 10 huge boards!!  Still struggled shooting, but I will take that effort every night.

David was also huge!!  47 minutes!!  Only credited with 8 rebounds!!  A bunch of rebounds the others got were because he did a fantastic job boxing out!!

Tai also played well!!  Struggled a little on defense, but went 6-6 from the line, had a huge offensive rebound to extend the play for Benny's game winner, and had his biggest 3 of his career (could be because he hasn't made many :-)

It was a nice win when Terran and Shavon struggled, going 8-24 from the line.

I can understand exclamation points after a two overtime win but I couldn't muster one for whatever you call what happened tonight. Big win yes. Huge problems if we drop three in a row but I repeat myself:

I'm a fan of well played basketball and a nebraskaball fan. It's too bad I can't watch the two at the same time.

I will add a couple tidbits:

- An ugly, physical (either you are a man or stay off the court) game

- Defense ruled.  The refereeing was a bit strange, but they kinda let it go physical...again with some strange twists

- Turnovers -  ughhh

- Glad we can shoot FT and they couldn't...but hey, that is a big part of the game.

- David Rivers played like a man...he was tenacious on the defensive end and rebounding

- Walt played like a junk yard dog underneath on defense.  The dude came to play today

- Perhaps Benny played his best game...Man, he is a tough S.O.B.

- Petteway played great defense, and other than uhhhh, that one shot....managed his game pretty well

- First half Shavon struggled...struggled a bit in the second half as well.  Big rebound at the end...and he needs new shoes.

- Tai played fantastic tonight...he has been struggling, but I thought his play was significant for us.  Benny will get credit for that last shot, but Tai's hustle set it up.

All in all it was an exhausting game.  But a game we had to win, and win we did.

Still a lot to be concerned about but tonight isn't the night to talk about that.

Rather, our kids battled and battled and went 50 minutes with just seven guys. And really, four guys played nearly the whole game.

They played through sprains and eye cuts and fatigue and through some VERY questionable officiating to GET THIS DONE.

In the first ten minutes, they appeared as if they were playing for their lives. As fatigue set in toward the end of the first half and the rest of the game, it was tough to fend off Cincy, but they did it.

Very nice win tonight. All you can do from here on out is one game at a time, play as hard as you can.

Was surprised Miles didn't go to the zone in the first 17 minutes of the second half. It had been nice in the first half and got a few stops when Rivers went out with the eye cut.

Rivers was HUGE. HUGE. HUGE.

Pitch played better and tougher.

Tough night for Shavon and Terran with the ball in their hands.

Saw some nice things from Tai tonight.

Parker sloppy.

Overall, a nice night and a big win.

I can understand exclamation points after a two overtime win but I couldn't muster one for whatever you call what happened tonight. Big win yes. Huge problems if we drop three in a row but I repeat myself:

I'm a fan of well played basketball and a nebraskaball fan. It's too bad I can't watch the two at the same time.

After the week the players, fans, and coaches had it would have been a difficult loss to take.  We really needed it.

I liked some things I saw.  Walt being the biggest.  He has a bright future if he can bring it like that every night, and start hitting his shots.  This team will go as Walt goes.

After the week the players, fans, and coaches had it would have been a difficult loss to take.  We really needed it.

I liked some things I saw.  Walt being the biggest.  He has a bright future if he can bring it like that every night, and start hitting his shots.  This team will go as Walt goes.

I agree with you completely. Huge win for the Huskers. Just saying aesthetically that may be some of the ugliest athletic contest (still can't force myself to refer to that stuff as basketball), I've seen and it's basically  the way things have looked every time the Huskers have taken the floor this year. I was so excited when I heard that Coach Miles used the motion offense. I wonder if we'll ever see any of it?

Coming off what we've seen the 2 previous games, NU's toughness was impressive tonight, even if the play was ugly. Very proud of the way the guys kept fighting and fighting. Considering how desperate things looked in both OTs, especially OT1, that win was a lot of fun.

Offense was atrocious thanks to the turnovers; half-court defense was amazing, especially our defensive rebounding, considering we basically played 6 guys.

A lot of guys showed a lot of toughness - I'm starting to think RIvers would only leave the floor if the broken bone is sticking through the skin ;)  - but I really loved what Walt & Tai gave us tonight. Those two have taken a ton of criticism this season - and some of it deserved - but they both played hard-nosed basketball tonight. What Walt did in 48 min against that athletic and aggressive front line was simply amazing - what a turnaround. Those two may hold the key to NU turning this thing in the right direction in B1G play. We generally know what we're getting from the other 4, but those two are the wild cards.

I'll take that kind of effort and toughness - win or lose - versus the tentative disaster we saw the past 2 games any day. That said, winning is a lot more fun.  ;)

Any guesses on odds of a team winning with a 3-to-22 assist-to-turnover ratio? I'd guess no other D-1 team wins a game with a ratio that bad this entire season, yet somehow we found a way.

Just got back - glad I didn't have to drive back to Omaha pondering another loss.

Gutty performance by our guys.  Couldn't help but notice the cool kid who only plays for himself gets 10 rebounds tonight.  Nice. And the guy who should be benched so Fuller can play more (no offense to Nick) managed a crucial 3, 4 free throws and an alert save of a missed 3 to allow Benny to post the winning margin.  I'll take that.

Seriously, I don't think Cincinnati is an NCAA team, but this is still a nice win for a team that is struggling.

Just got back - glad I didn't have to drive back to Omaha pondering another loss.

Gutty performance by our guys.  Couldn't help but notice the cool kid who only plays for himself gets 10 rebounds tonight.  Nice. And the guy who should be benched so Fuller can play more (no offense to Nick) managed a crucial 3, 4 free throws and an alert save of a missed 3 to allow Benny to post the winning margin.  I'll take that.

Seriously, I don't think Cincinnati is an NCAA team, but this is still a nice win for a team that is struggling.

I wonder where the Tai BASHERS are tonight.

As poorly as Walt played wednesday night, he came up huge tonight, both he and Rivers were outstanding inside.   And as for those guys that have given up on Tai, I hope you can see that he made a huge difference tonight.   UGLY UGLY game just like we were told it would be, but it sure feels better to win one of these then lose it.  Kudos to the crowd tonight they were much better as well.

Walt, Tai & David were all HUGE in this W. Props to the entire team for finding a way to score 1 more point despite horrid shooting & questionable ball handling & despicable officiating. GBR

I wonder where the Tai BASHERS are tonight.

Tai's my guy. When he came in for Shields & had zero points at the time, I mentioned that Tai would need to score some buckets since I figured Cincy would allow him the chance to get a look. Well, wouldn't you know, Tai nails a big triple & then goes 6-6 at the line in crucial moments of this game. Must feel great for young Tai to have played a big role in this victory! GBR

Terran has got to be the best player Nebraska has had that fans don't like.

I love the guy, but man, the fan base isn't as crazy about him because he wears his emotions on his sleeve.

Yeah had to get on the guy behind me when after ripping on TERRAN and the whole team, but he got my calm down dude when he screamed the f-bomb Terran. Be mad but keep the language under control man.