Guys, guys, GUUUUUYYYYYSSS!!!!

Norm Peterson

Was the loss bad?  Sure, but any loss in the eye's of Nebraska fans is bad.  For some reason, a lot of people in this state have the mentality that a team has to go undefeated or lose very few games to be good.  Now, I am not calling out the people of this great state; I am a lifer.  However, I have seen this mentality in every sport at every age level.  I've played basketball in high school and college, and I coach the sport too, so I have seen it from many different angles.  There are so many people out there that tense up and go nuts after a loss.  Some teams need to take their lumps at the beginning of the season and recover.  It will build character.  I'm not saying every person has this ideology.  However, some Nebraskans need to see things from a different point of view on sports in general, rather than looking at it from a football perspective.  Basketball, even baseball, is a completely different beast.  The season is long and grueling and things are not always going to go our way.  This team will find "IT" again, but can we expect a few more bumps in the road? Absolutely.    

We lost to rhode island. This may not be a tourney year, but if we can get petteway to stay and find a true center that can score inside, and keep all the current recruits next year could be a big year

PG: watson

SG: petteway

SF: white (or shields)

PF: shields (or morrow)

C:  center that can score inside

For C:  I would add "and defend" inside....

We lost to rhode island. This may not be a tourney year, but if we can get petteway to stay and find a true center that can score inside, and keep all the current recruits next year could be a big year

PG: watson

SG: petteway

SF: white (or shields)

PF: shields (or morrow)

C:  center that can score inside

For C:  I would add "and defend" inside....

For C: Defend is really the most important part of his job. With that lineup, I don't imagine scoring would e a problem.

We didn't play poorly and still lost to Incarnate Word. At home.

You think that's ok, Norm?

It's a long season, yes. And if just got considerably longer after tonight.

I've been around too long.  I've seen worse.  We'll live.  I was more pissed about Creighton.

I hope the team has my attitude and quickly puts this behind them and moves onto the next one.

I wonder why we didn't call time out before we inbounded the last time?  Didn't we have two left?

After getting spanked by UTEP Monday night, IW spent the entire day Tuesday travelling from El Paso to Lincoln.  The "big" man that abused Walter all night was so sick, he visited a hospital earlier in the day.  There is no excuse (officiating, bad luck, etc.) for losing to Incarnate Word.  Ever.  Just stop it.  But, hey, they beat UT-Tyler, Huston-Tillotson College, Texas International, and St. Edward waaaaaay worse than the Huskers.  And, we played them much closer than Princeton.  So, there's that.  Anybody that won't admit this was probably the most humiliating loss that will occur this entire college basketball season (Michigan is grateful to be out of the spotlight) is, as our vested friends might say, delusional!

After getting spanked by UTEP Monday night, IW spent the entire day Tuesday travelling from El Paso to Lincoln.  The "big" man that abused Walter all night was so sick, he visited a hospital earlier in the day.  There is no excuse (officiating, bad luck, etc.) for losing to Incarnate Word.  Ever.  Just stop it.  But, hey, they beat UT-Tyler, Huston-Tillotson College, Texas International, and St. Edward waaaaaay worse than the Huskers.  And, we played them much closer than Princeton.  So, there's that.  Anybody that won't admit this was probably the most humiliating loss that will occur this entire college basketball season (Michigan is grateful to be out of the spotlight) is, as our vested friends might say, delusional!

So what's your point, Wayne?  I haven't seen people making excuses, and I haven't seen anyone saying it's not a really bad loss.  So what do we do now, throw a tantrum?  OK, it was a horrible, humiliating loss. If everyone registered to post says that, will it make it better? 

Sorry I blew up.  Got a little carried away and started thinking like I was a fan of a nationally relevant basketball team.  Felt kind of good actually.  In the Collier/Sadler era, this loss would be taken with a grain of salt.  I thought we were past that.  (For the record, yes there was some rationalization in Norm's post.  Didn't want to single him out, because I respect the heck out of his contributions to this board.)  Accepting this loss, like it is no worse than any other, is why Nebraska Basketball can't have nice things.  

Hopefully, this loss will become even worse as the season goes on.  If this team turns things around and plays lights out for the remainder of this season (like a top half B1G conference record) then this loss will be even more inexplicable.  If they play the remaining 2/3 of the season like the first third, this loss will unfortunately appear rather ordinary.

An interesting way to frame it, Wayne.

We will see as we get further into the season whether the team can recover from this loss.  The Big Ten will be a grind this year, and maybe it is an opportunity for the Huskers to really gel then.  Remember last season, when we were pretty down on the team early.

Sorry I blew up.  Got a little carried away and started thinking like I was a fan of a nationally relevant basketball team.  Felt kind of good actually.  In the Collier/Sadler era, this loss would be taken with a grain of salt.  I thought we were past that.  (For the record, yes there was some rationalization in Norm's post.  Didn't want to single him out, because I respect the heck out of his contributions to this board.)  Accepting this loss, like it is no worse than any other, is why Nebraska Basketball can't have nice things.  

Hopefully, this loss will become even worse as the season goes on.  If this team turns things around and plays lights out for the remainder of this season (like a top half B1G conference record) then this loss will be even more inexplicable.  If they play the remaining 2/3 of the season like the first third, this loss will unfortunately appear rather ordinary.

Right, if fans who watch the games rather than play in them just wouldn't be so accepting of losses they wouldn't happen.  If all message board posters just drew the line and said "I won't tolerate this" all would be well. What we need is more outrage!

Give me a break.

Fans show up and cheer (at least some of us), but I've never seen the fans' mindset after the game set a screen, get a rebound, defend the paint, or make a shot. 

But now we know.  Just don't be accepting of losses as a fan base, and then they won't happen, and we will have nice things.

(P.S.  If you were on this board after we lost to Maryland-Baltimore County, you wouldn't have thought that loss was being taken "with a grain of salt".)

Oh c'mon, Noah, priorities. Bowling over UM-BC? I suppose you probably also chose going to class if it conflicted with basketball. What kind of fan are you?

(Says the guy who skipped a basketball game for the birth of my first child.)

Did you listen to the game on the radio while the birth was going on Norm?

Oh c'mon, Noah, priorities. Bowling over UM-BC? I suppose you probably also chose going to class if it conflicted with basketball. What kind of fan are you?

(Says the guy who skipped a basketball game for the birth of my first child.)

Did you listen to the game on the radio while the birth was going on Norm?

Push him out, push him out.  Waaay out!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been around too long.  I've seen worse.  We'll live.  I was more pissed about Creighton.

More pissed about Creighton?  Creighton owns us right now and while yes, we should have beat them this year...we lost to Fing Incarnate Fing Word.  Creighton is our daddy....UIW should be should be a step-cousin that we beat down to take out our frustrations of getting beaten by our daddy.

Just so you know ...

Incarnate Word is the #58 team in the nation according to the official NCAA rpi.  Meanwhile, Creighton is #136. 

See link: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

So YES.

I'll say it again: I was more pissed about the loss to Creighton than the loss to Incarnate Word.

I thought we played better against IW than against Creighton, and I thought IW looked like a better team than Creighton.

Where's huskerdoo to argue the point now?

UIW will fall back towards the mean though as the season progresses.  Their SOS is about to take a huge nosedive, while Creighton plays in the #1 RPI conference this year so their RPI is not likely to fall a whole lot more unless they lose 'em all.

Right now Word is projected to finish in the 130's RPI wise...Creighton in the 150's.  That could change dramatically obviously.