Pitchford

HuskerBB

Looked up some numbers.   Last year 51.8% of the shots that Walt took were 3's.  that is a big number for someone that is 6'9" but obviously that is a big part of his game.    This year that percentage is almost 71% which is pretty much ridiculous for anybody that is 6'9" and not named Brian Conklin.

Obviously he is struggling with his shooting percentage inside and outside.  While he is shooting more 3's per game than he did last year (4.9 vs 3.7) the big difference to me is that he is not really getting any shots at all inside the arc.  I doubt if that is designed - seems to me Walt has decided he is just a 3 point shooter and is not really even trying to be part of the offense in any other way.   Makes him easier to defend - and I think it also makes him force 3 point shots that are not really coming in the flow of the offense.  Certainly that was what he did on a couple occassions last night.  Not sure if we do it with pick and rolls or other options in the motion offense but  I think we need to focus on getting Walt more involved in the offensive flow inside the arc.

I haven't looked it up, but i imagine petteway is taking more 3s than he did last year as well.

These guys are too athletic to just be shooting 3s all game long. they need to get in the paint and draw fouls.

And hopefully somebody will call them. Couple times last night something had to be called, if bodies fly somebody fouled. It was either a charge or a block, not a no call.

I haven't looked it up, but i imagine petteway is taking more 3s than he did last year as well.

These guys are too athletic to just be shooting 3s all game long. they need to get in the paint and draw fouls.

That is correct - although not quite as dramatic as with Walter.  Last year 34.4% of TP's shots were 3's (38.1% in conference games).  This year it is 46.6%.   A key difference between TP and Walt this year though is that TP's 3 pt shooting % is at least slightly better than last year (35.2% to 32.7%). 

(As an aside I was a bit surprised to see that TP actually shot a worse % from 3 pt range in conference games last year than in non-conference games.  Obviously defense would be better in conference games - but most felt he played much better in the conference overall than in the early part of the year.)

As a team this year 37.1% of our shots are 3's - compared to 33.5% last year (35.3% in conference).     So as a team we are relying on the 3 slightly more.   3 pt shooting % is slightly worse - 31.7% vs. 33.3% - but that is all attributable to Walt P's shooting woes.   3 pt % for all players not named Walter would be slightly better than last season.

Creighton's goal was to prevent the drive.  To take it away.  When Shavon was on the wing and tried to take his man off the dribble, Creighton would help off the corner, leaving us with an open shooter, but we didn't have anyone willing to take that shot.  And that's because we don't have anyone besides the guys who are trying to drive who, right now, feel confident about taking that shot.

It's not that we need to shoot more 3s.  It's that we need the threat of being able to do so to open up the driving lanes and prevent opposing Ds from sagging and helping off of our shooters.  You have to be able to force them to pick their poison.  If they try to stop your drives, you kill them with outside shooting.  If they defend the perimeter, you drive to the basket.  But if they play to stop penetration and you can't make them pay for it by hitting outside jumpers, well, you lose by 10 to teams like Creighton.

Creighton's goal was to prevent the drive.  To take it away.  When Shavon was on the wing and tried to take his man off the dribble, Creighton would help off the corner, leaving us with an open shooter, but we didn't have anyone willing to take that shot.  And that's because we don't have anyone besides the guys who are trying to drive who, right now, feel confident about taking that shot.

It's not that we need to shoot more 3s.  It's that we need the threat of being able to do so to open up the driving lanes and prevent opposing Ds from sagging and helping off of our shooters.  You have to be able to force them to pick their poison.  If they try to stop your drives, you kill them with outside shooting.  If they defend the perimeter, you drive to the basket.  But if they play to stop penetration and you can't make them pay for it by hitting outside jumpers, well, you lose by 10 to teams like Creighton.

Exactly.  This is why I think we have to run like hell in transition.  What we lack in three point shooting we more than make up for in ball skills, speed, athleticism and finishing on the break.  We should've run them into the ground.  Good plan on CU's part.  

Could someone explain to me what happened to Fuller?  With our outside shooting being as awful as it is, why doesn't he get a chance.  When he was being recruited, it seemed like everyone was so excited to finally have someone who could shoot and yet it is hard to do that from the bench.

It has been reported that he has a toe injury (has been described as "turf toe").  With all the cutting in basketball, I would think that a chronic toe injury could have a significant effect.  Also, just because people get excited based on recruiting hype doesn't mean someone is ready to contribute at this level.  Hard to give him minutes at the wing with Terran and Shavon at those spots, and he may be a big defensive liability there.  And the stretch 4 thing may be a reach at his size. 

In any event, one would think the coaches know based on practice who should be playing, and if Fuller was ready to contribute, he would have gotten a chance.  Perhaps if he gets healthier he will still get that chance.   But from what I can tell no one can report on him doing anything while here; most of the mention is based on recruiting hype which doesn't mean squat.  There probably was a reason Wisconsin didn't offer, and we were arguably his best offer. 

What scares me is Creighton just set the blueprint (no pun intended) for the rest of the teams on how to beat us.  I think this is Tim Miles' biggest challenge since he's been here.  Can he tweak, tinker and adjust enough to offset our deficiencies, as were exposed by Creighton.  

What scares me is Creighton just set the blueprint (no pun intended) for the rest of the teams on how to beat us. 

The #1 key to beating us is not putting us on the line. 

We'll see how Incarnate Word plays UTEP but right now it looks like they might put us on the line 40 times Wednesday trying to steal the ball. 

I wonder how much of Walt's lack of presence inside is by design by the coaching staff, or just Walt's lack of willingness to bang inside?  He did it last year.  We need him in there again.

Excellent question/point.  Walt banged with some of the Big 10's best last year, notably Payne from MSU and Hammonds from Purdue, and can't bang against a 6'8" guy from UNO??  

Just some feelings ...

- feels like Petteway is trying to check boxes the NBA told him to work on (3 point shooting) ... There's a touch more "I/me" and less "We/us" this year.

- we are settling for jump shots way too much

- we need better guard play AND interior play ... Having both problems is extremely hazardous to our chances this year

- Pitchford seems detached/unfocused ... Something. I think I question his work ethic/commitment as well.

- Petteway is either shooting too much or pouting and not doing enough on offense ... True leadership skills still need work as well as some emotional stability.

- wonder if losing Craig Smith was a bigger deal than we figured ... It was said he was our "Xs and Os" guy.

- a bit of time for Hammond wouldn't have hurt my feelings last night

- just felt like we didn't match their intensity as the game went on

- I'm truly unsure what we are trying to do offense besides pass it around and improv after setting a screen at the top of the key

We have a lot of work to make the tourney ... If I had to bet money right now I'd bet "no"

Just some feelings ...

- feels like Petteway is trying to check boxes the NBA told him to work on (3 point shooting) ... There's a touch more "I/me" and less "We/us" this year.

- we need better guard play AND interior play ... Having both problems is extremely hazardous to our chances this year

- Pitchford seems detached/unfocused ... Something. I think I question his work ethic/commitment as well.

- Petteway is either shooting too much or pouting and not doing enough on offense ... True leadership skills still need work as well as some emotional stability.

- wonder if losing Craig Smith was a bigger deal than we figured ... It was said he was our "Xs and Os" guy.

- I'm truly unsure what we are trying to do offense besides pass it around and improv after setting a screen at the top of the key

We have a lot of work to make the tourney ... If I had to bet money right now I'd bet "no"

I disagree about Petteway checking boxes for the NBA. He's one of those players who believes he can make every shot he takes...even the difficult ones. I don't like TP playing pg in our current situation. It is asking to much of him. He needs to be in a position where he is in space and create shots. 

There were a lot of guys hesitating to take open 10-15 ft shots, guys you wouldn't expect to do so such as SS and WP. 

It was great to see Benny shooting well from the 3. It was also great to see DR  hit open jumpers and fighting for rebounds. 

We need to develop some sort of low post presence even when teams are packing it in against us.

While SS did a lot of good things such as assists and rebounds he needed to be more aggressive. He's the player that makes teams pay for doubling TP. 

Walter seems like  he is having a sophomore slump. He needs to focus on the things that will get him more involved in the game and not just standing at the perimeter waiting to take 3's.

Tim Miles needed to make some adjustments when he saw that CU was going to pack it in. Beating the zone is about passing the ball and going high low to force double teams. 

Like others have said we needed to push the temp more and not let CU have a time to get set in their defense. 

I hate to admit it but I'm a bit disappointed with how TW is playing. I'm not sure why his international play experience isn't transitioning to the college game.

I want to see more of TS and JH.

Could someone explain to me what happened to Fuller?  With our outside shooting being as awful as it is, why doesn't he get a chance.  When he was being recruited, it seemed like everyone was so excited to finally have someone who could shoot and yet it is hard to do that from the bench.

Have you seen Fuller play defense?  It's not good.  He's better off on the bench for the time being.

Have you seen Fuller play defense?  It's not good.  He's better off on the bench for the time being.

Elaborate please.  He hasn't seen the floor since he checked in for one minute against UNO.  Have you seen him somewhere other than in games? 

Just some feelings ...

Exactly my thoughts on the offense at this point.  Walt may not be great inside, and Moses's offense may not be his strength, but playing inside to outside a bit will at least keep the D honest and maybe gives us better looks on all those threes. At the least we could get guys trying to runout and cover them a bit more so a shot fake will get guys like Rivers and Shields into mid range shots where they really excel.