2014-2015 NU MBB Early Season Statistical Assessment

OurDecay

We've played 6 games (against mixed competition).  This doesn't take into account feel, running the offense, decision-making, etc.  I've watched every game, but my goal here is to try to look at it through a statistical lens first.  The players are not listed in any particular order, by the way. 

Here's how I see the key components individually:

1. Terran Petteway, Jr.
2014-2015: 34.7 MPG, 21.0 PPG, 41.7 FG%, 34.9 3FG%, 2.5 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 1.3 SPG, 4.2 TOPG

2013-2014: 31.7 MPG, 18.1 PPG, 42.6 FG%, 32.7 3FG%, 1.6 APG, 4.8 RPG, 0.8 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 2.8 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/terran-petteway
Notes: This year he's averaging more points, assists, rebounds, blocks, steals and turnovers than last year.  His shooting percentage is essentially the same.  He has his lapses like any player, but I feel like he is doing a better job defensively.  He has been doing a better job of getting to the rim for strong finishes...It feels like he's got about a dozen dunks already in 6 games.  The increase in turnovers is bad.  He has had 4 or more turnovers in 4 of our 6 games.  Hopefully with stronger PG play, he'll be able to handle the ball less and have fewer of these.  For as frustrating as he can be to watch, he is a stat-stuffer and an all-conference player.

2. Shavon Shields, Jr.
2014-2015: 34.7 MPG, 20.0 PPG, 60.6 FG%, 43.8 3FG%, 1.8 APG, 7.3 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 2.5 TOPG
2013-2014: 32.5 MPG, 12.8 PPG, 44.3 FG%, 31.6 3FG%, 1.6 APG, 5.8 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 1.6 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/shavon-shields
Notes: Shavon is massively-improved offensive player.  He's shooting lights-out.  His scoring average has improved from 8.6 to 12.8 to now 20.0.  He's also 86.8% from the FT line this year.  If he averages 20 & 7 for the season he will need to be an all-conference player.  He is the smooth and controlled operator, in contrast to Petteway's spastic and explosive style.  Both are tough matchups.  His mastery of the mid-range jumper makes him a nightmare to defend.

3. Benny Parker, Jr.
2014-2015: 28.5 MPG, 6.7 PPG, 35.7 FG%, 28.6 3FG%, 2.3 APG, 1.8 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.0 SPG, 1.7 TOPG
2013-2014: 14.9 MPG, 2.4 PPG, 47.8 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.9 APG, 1.0 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 0.4 TOPG

Notes: Benny has earned the starting job this year and as a result his minutes have doubled.  He's not really a scorer, but we don't ask him to be.  We ask him to handle the ball with minimal turnovers, and thus far he's done that (under 2/game).  His steals are top-100 nationally, and I would expect that number to actually go up.  He is shooting 75.0% from the FT line, which is absolutely what you want in your PG who handles the ball the most.  Benny has always been a guy whose strengths don't show up on the stats sheet and this is no exception, but I would say that he is improved over last year.

4. Walter Pitchford, Jr.
2014-2015: 22.2 MPG, 6.5 PPG, 33.3 FG%, 31.0 3FG%, 0.8 APG, 2.8 RPG, 0.8 BPG, 0.7 SPG, 1.7 TOPG
2013-2014: 23.2 MPG, 9.2 PPG, 47.3 FG%, 41.0 3FG%, 0.5 APG, 4.7 RPG, 0.6 BPG, 0.4 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes:  Walter obviously struggled to open the year.  I think he is caught in an identity crisis.  It is disappointing that our only regular player over 6-9 barely out-rebounds Benny Parker.  The stats are worse across the board from a year ago, but be aware that in his last two games he is 8-13 from 3-point range, and has averaged 12.5 PPG.  One common theme that you notice on his game log is the amount of fouls.  He is averaging 3.5 fouls/game, up from 2.5 a year ago playing the same minutes.  I don't know if that's a result of having to play defense as a 5 w/o Leslee Smith, or frustration, or just bad luck....but the net result isn't good.  I do think as his shot continues to come back he'll regain his confidence and be back to the occasionally dynamic player he was a year ago.  We need him to do better on the glass, however.

5. David Rivers, Sr.
2014-2015: 26.7 MPG, 6.2 PPG, 60.9 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.3 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
2013-2014: 20.0 MPG, 3.0 PPG, 47.4 FG%, 33.3 3FG%, 0.4 APG, 2.9 RPG, 0.5 BPG, 1.0 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes: David has stepped up nicely as a senior to fill a void in situational scoring.  He plays good defense, doesn't get into foul trouble (hasn't had more than 3 fouls in a game yet) and has stepped up his rebounding as well.  He's a great role player, and one of the glue pieces that hold the team together.  He is improved from a year ago in all facets.

6. Tai Webster, So.
2014-2015: 22.5 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 41.7 FG%, 15.8 3FG%, 2.0 APG, 2.0 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.2 SPG, 2.3 TOPG
2013-2014: 22.8 MPG, 3.9 PPG, 30.4 FG%, 17.1 3FG%, 2.0 APG, 2.1 RPG, 0.1 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 1.8 TOPG

Notes: You might have to squint to see them, but taken as a whole there are signs of improvement from Webster.  His secondary stats have essentially held steady, as have his minutes...yet scoring is up, as is his overall FG%.  This is despite him shooting slightly worse from 3-pt range this year.  That tells me he's taking better shots more often.  His FT rate is holding steady from last year at around 62%...which is obviously not ideal if you are a PG.  I think the transition to a bench 2-guard is going to be a good thing for him, as he is at his best when driving to the basket and creating on offense.  He is not a PG.  He needs to significantly improve his outside shooting...the mechanics look better this year as does the confidence...he just needs more shots to drop and he can be fine.  He'll never be a Gallegos though...so he will need to focus on getting to the rim, and playing good perimeter defense.

7. Moses Abraham, Sr.
2014-2015: 15.2 MPG, 2.7 PPG, 58.3 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.2 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.0 BPG, 0.0 SPG, 1.2 TOPG
2013-2014: 13.1 MPG, 1.9 PPG, 56.4 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.3 APG, 2.8 RPG, 0.7 BPG, 0.2 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes: Moses is essentially the same guy he was at Georgetown, with the exception of a dramatically improved rebounding.  Given his minutes, those rebounding numbers are good.  I would like to see his blocked shots increase, but I think that's the best he's done in his career so that might be all we'll get.  I think he is getting more and more comfortable playing with the team.  He is not an offensive player by any means, but I don't think that's what we are asking from him.  To this point, this is not a Tim Miles reclamation project on the level of Petteway or Pitchford...but if he could sneak up to 5 & 7 a night (with increased minutes), that would be enough.  We do miss Leslee Smith however.  Thus far I am underwhelmed by his athleticism.  He is not an explosive athlete.

8. Tarin Smith, Fr.
2014-2015: 13.5 MPG, 3.8 PPG, 43.8 FG%, 66.7 3FG%, 1.3 APG, 1.2 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 0.5 SPG, 0.3 TOPG
Notes: The stat line does not at all capture the potential here.  He takes great care of the ball, seems to have a good basketball IQ.  I believe he has the ability to eventually be a scoring option for us.  He hasn't been asked to do that much, but he has the appropriate skill set.  Six games into his college career, I like his potential.  He averaged 16 minutes/game in our first 4 games, but only 9 minutes/game in our last two.  I don't know why that is.  Regardless, he is a guy right now that I trust more than Webster, and I would like to see him get even more minutes per game.

9. Leslee Smith, Sr.
2014-2015: DNP (INJ)
2013-2014: 16.8 MPG, 5.4 PPG, 51.9 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.4 APG, 4.8 RPG, 0.6 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 1.4 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/leslee-smith
Notes: It might be surprising to some, but if you compare Abraham's stat line to Smith's a year ago, they are pretty comparable.  Smith is the slightly better offensive player, while Abraham is the better rebounder and defensive player.  The point is, don't have a false sense that Leslee is this double-double machine that will arrive in January and set the world on fire.  Likewise, don't be too critical of Abraham...thus far he's doing his job.  That said, we need Leslee for depth, badly.

Overall:  If you look at the individual pieces, statistically you can make the argument that 5 of our 6 returning (active) players are improved from a year ago.  Abraham is improved since his time at Georgetown as well.  Tarin Smith is a true freshman.  The question of course is if this has resulted in us being a better team.  While we haven't played a great schedule to date, our offensive efficiency has gone from 94.6 (2012-13) to 102.2 (2013-14) to 103.7.  We are shooting 46.3% from the field after shooting 42.7% a year ago.  The most obvious problems are turnovers (15.0/game, up from 10.2 last year), and rebounding differential.

That said, I believe that a lot of our success a year ago was smoke & mirrors.  There wasn't a whole lot of overwhelmingly great stats associated with the team a year ago...they just won.  Sometimes in spite of themselves.  I think it is possible this year that we could have a much better team statistically and individually, yet have a worse W-L record.

RDK

7. Moses Abraham, Sr.

2014-2015: 15.2 MPG, 2.7 PPG, 58.3 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.2 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.0 BPG, 0.0 SPG, 1.2 TOPG
2013-2014: 13.1 MPG, 1.9 PPG, 56.4 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.3 APG, 2.8 RPG, 0.7 BPG, 0.2 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes: Moses is essentially the same guy he was at Georgetown, with the exception of a dramatically improved rebounding.  Given his minutes, those rebounding numbers are good.  I would like to see his blocked shots increase, but I think that's the best he's done in his career so that might be all we'll get.  I think he is getting more and more comfortable playing with the team.  He is not an offensive player by any means, but I don't think that's what we are asking from him.  To this point, this is not a Tim Miles reclamation project on the level of Petteway or Pitchford...but if he could sneak up to 5 & 7 a night (with increased minutes), that would be enough.  We do miss Leslee Smith however.  Thus far I am underwhelmed by his athleticism.  He is not an explosive athlete.

It's probable that one reason his rebounding numbers are up because he doesn't have nearly the competition he had at Georgetown for rebounds

That said, I believe that a lot of our success a year ago was smoke & mirrors.  There wasn't a whole lot of overwhelmingly great stats associated with the team a year ago...they just won.  Sometimes in spite of themselves.  I think it is possible this year that we could have a much better team statistically and individually, yet have a worse W-L record.

RDK

I don't know as I agree with that last paragraph.

It wasn't smoke and mirrors; it was real.

What we had last year was a team that could play great team defense and had enough individual pieces on the offensive end to outscore the opponent most nights.

It looked ugly, statistically, because you didn't see a lot of assists on the offensive end.  But that was a function of the pieces that Miles was playing with.  We had three guys who were all capable of creating their own shot in their own way. 

Walt, being 6'11" and a good leaper, could shoot over basically anyone.  And he landed those punches at about a 44% clip, so his effective FG% was very high.

Terran could take his defender off the dribble and score nearly at will last year.  If they cut off the drive, he could elevate and score from mid-range.  If he got past his defender, he was able to elevate over, around or through the help D and get the sweet kiss off the glass.  Either way, he could hurt you.  And, considering he lead the league in scoring, it's pretty much proof positive that he was effective creating his own shot.

Then, you had Shavon, who was like a combination of Terran and Walt, although not quite as effective from mid-range or not quite as capable of getting to the rim as Terran, while not being quite as deadly from distance as Walt.  But, still, solid enough of a combination of those skills to pour in 12-13 ppg night in and night out.

That's why we won last year.  It wasn't smoke and mirrors.  It wasn't luck.  We could defend, and we had enough guys who were capable enough scorers that we could outscore most teams on most nights. 

And we still have all of that, provided Walt's hot hand continues.

I believe you are comparing 6 game stats for 2014-15 to full season stats for 2013-14. My recollection is that TP had many more turnovers early season and became much better with the ball, and his shot selection, later in the season last year. We may see these numbers improve as the season goes on. The same with Walt. Walt was much better the 2nd half of last season than the 1st half. At least that is my memory.

I agree with the last post. I think we see the total team turnovers come down as the year progresses. Right now it's like Christmas morning. It's been a long offseason of working out and working on their individual games and everybody is out there to prove what they can do. They are truly too excited to just play to really buy in to the team concept or buy in defensively just yet. That will come. As the season goes along, they will learn to value each and every possession and progress toward the level they were on at the end of last season. It's a little too early to be worried about anything and it's a little unfair to compare end of season last years team to this years team just six games in.

One thing that jumped out at me is that Petteway leads the team in blocks and assists so far.

Last year's team wouldn't have beaten FSU this early in the season on the road.  I think they would've also lost to this year's Creighton and Cincy teams.  At this point last year, we had horrible defense.

This year, our defense has been pretty outstanding in every game.  I don't really see us getting blown out by anyone this year because of that.  This will hopefully translate into more road wins.  Offense has been steadily improving every game.  I think we'll be firing on all cylinders way earlier than last season.  Our home court advantage isn't going anywhere.  Because of those things, I think our W-L improves, mostly because I think we'll pick up more tough wins in the non-con.  I think our conference record will be similar, but with more consistency and less crazy win/loss streaks.  

Turnovers concerning me right now.  Those numbers come down and we hold onto a few more possessions a game could be huge. As has been stated our defense will keep us in games, but we look a little lost at times on offense still which leads to some of those turnovers.  Also would like Terran to be a LITTLE more selective with his shots.  

Last year's team wouldn't have beaten FSU this early in the season on the road.  I think they would've also lost to this year's Creighton and Cincy teams.  At this point last year, we had horrible defense.

I'd agree about FSU.

We would have taken down at least one of Creighton or Cincy this year with last year's team....our home advantage is powerful

I'm not sure you can compare this year's statistics to last years when this year's includes 4 out of 6 games against cupcakes and 2 decent but not great teams whereas last year's includes the entire B1G schedule. 

I agree, which is why I qualified it at the very beginning.  It was also labeled as an early season assessment.

It will gain value as we revisit it the deeper we get into the season.

I'm not sure you can compare this year's statistics to last years when this year's includes 4 out of 6 games against cupcakes and 2 decent but not great teams whereas last year's includes the entire B1G schedule.

I agree, which is why I qualified it at the very beginning.  It was also labeled as an early season assessment.

So you are comparing oranges to orange blossoms?

So you are comparing oranges to orange blossoms?

:D yes, I guess I am!

• 3 weeks later...

I always like to look points per FG attempted as a measure of player efficiency. Of the six main contributors that carried over from last year's team, here's how their points per FG attempted are comparing from season to season:

Petteway: 1.36 last year to 1.26 this year

Shields: 1.38 to 1.67 (major wow)

Pitchford: 1.31 to 0.90 (major ouch)

Webster: 1.13 to 1.16

Rivers: 1.33 to 1.41

Parker: 1.16 to 1.40

So, Benny is scoring with greater efficiency this year than any of our guys did last year?  Zat about right?

According to that metric, yes. It's still relatively early so I doubt he keeps it up all season. Possible, though.

He has twice as many FT attempts in half as many shot attempts vs last year. If he can keep drawing contact, he should be able to maintain.

I think what this team needs now more than anything is to simply play games. This Holiday tournament couldn't come at a better time. Knock out 3 games in 5 days, get away from all the BS, and simply play some ball. I like our chances, and I think we come home with " the fire in the belly" ready to take on the Hoosiers.

So, Benny is scoring with greater efficiency this year than any of our guys did last year?  Zat about right?

According to that metric, yes. It's still relatively early so I doubt he keeps it up all season. Possible, though.

He has twice as many FT attempts in half as many shot attempts vs last year. If he can keep drawing contact, he should be able to maintain.

Not sure I want Benny drawing a whole lot of contact on purpose, though.  He's gonna get real beat up by the end of the season if he does.  He's already taken a couple of pretty serious shots to the shoulder, most recently in the Cincinnati game.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated through 12 games (non-conference portion of schedule):

1. Terran Petteway, Jr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 34.7 MPG, 19.2 PPG, 41.8 FG%, 32.5 3FG%, 2.7 APG, 5.6 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 1.4 SPG, 3.9 TOPG

2014-2015 (thru 6G): 34.7 MPG, 21.0 PPG, 41.7 FG%, 34.9 3FG%, 2.5 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 1.3 SPG, 4.2 TOPG

2013-2014: 31.7 MPG, 18.1 PPG, 42.6 FG%, 32.7 3FG%, 1.6 APG, 4.8 RPG, 0.8 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 2.8 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/terran-petteway
Notes: Not much changed from our first check-in.  Remarkably consistent numbers across the board.  He is who he is over the last year and a half.

2. Shavon Shields, Jr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 36.5 MPG, 17.2 PPG, 48.9 FG%, 27.6 3FG%, 2.0 APG, 6.9 RPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 3.3 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 34.7 MPG, 20.0 PPG, 60.6 FG%, 43.8 3FG%, 1.8 APG, 7.3 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 2.5 TOPG
2013-2014: 32.5 MPG, 12.8 PPG, 44.3 FG%, 31.6 3FG%, 1.6 APG, 5.8 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 1.6 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/shavon-shields
Notes: His shooting percentage has fallen back to earth, and he is no longer a reliable 3-point shooter.  The rebounding is good, but his turnovers are now more than double what they were a year ago.

3. Benny Parker, Jr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 30.5 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 43.6 FG%, 47.1 3FG%, 2.2 APG, 2.2 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 1.9 SPG, 1.8 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 28.5 MPG, 6.7 PPG, 35.7 FG%, 28.6 3FG%, 2.3 APG, 1.8 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.0 SPG, 1.7 TOPG
2013-2014: 14.9 MPG, 2.4 PPG, 47.8 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.9 APG, 1.0 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 0.4 TOPG

Notes: He continues to look for his spots to score, and he is playing heavy minutes.  He is a point guard playing 30 minutes a game and averaging less than 2 turnovers a contest...and he gets that back for you with steals.  He appears to be a pretty efficient player offensively.  The question remains if he is a legitimate Big Ten caliber starting PG.  I still think he is better as a change of pace guy off the bench.  This is a guy who played 15 minutes a game a year ago.

4. Walter Pitchford, Jr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 27.8 MPG, 7.4 PPG, 34.1 FG%, 31.0 3FG%, 0.4 APG, 4.7 RPG, 0.8 BPG, 0.4 SPG, 1.6 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 22.2 MPG, 6.5 PPG, 33.3 FG%, 31.0 3FG%, 0.8 APG, 2.8 RPG, 0.8 BPG, 0.7 SPG, 1.7 TOPG
2013-2014: 23.2 MPG, 9.2 PPG, 47.3 FG%, 41.0 3FG%, 0.5 APG, 4.7 RPG, 0.6 BPG, 0.4 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes:  He has essentially continued his cold start to the season, with the exception of adding a couple rebounds per game.  Playing the last few games without other inside players, you'd like to see him be averaging more than 5 boards a game.  He has attempted 58 3-pointers in 12 games....that's nearly 5 attempts a game.  If he's going to do that, he needs to be better than 31%.

5. David Rivers, Sr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 29.8 MPG, 5.4 PPG, 48.0 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.8 APG, 6.0 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 0.6 SPG, 0.7 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 26.7 MPG, 6.2 PPG, 60.9 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.3 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
2013-2014: 20.0 MPG, 3.0 PPG, 47.4 FG%, 33.3 3FG%, 0.4 APG, 2.9 RPG, 0.5 BPG, 1.0 SPG, 0.5 TOPG
Notes: He has increased his rebounding further, and is given us essentially 6 & 6 a night.  I noted this last time, but I love the fact that he's playing nearly 30 minutes a game and has only gotten more than 3 PFs once...and that game went to OT.  He is working, rebounding and playing good defense without fouling.  Given our depth situation, that's huge.  I think what we are getting from him is about his ceiling...but that's good enough for what we are asking IMO.

6. Tai Webster, So.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 19.8 MPG, 4.9 PPG, 35.7 FG%, 16.7 3FG%, 1.2 APG, 2.2 RPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 1.9 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 22.5 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 41.7 FG%, 15.8 3FG%, 2.0 APG, 2.0 RPG, 0.3 BPG, 1.2 SPG, 2.3 TOPG
2013-2014: 22.8 MPG, 3.9 PPG, 30.4 FG%, 17.1 3FG%, 2.0 APG, 2.1 RPG, 0.1 BPG, 0.8 SPG, 1.8 TOPG
Notes: As I said before...Tai is just not a good shooter.  You'd hope that we could plan around that, but at some point you have to accept the situation: this is a guard that cannot shoot, does not rebound, and is careless with the ball.  In our three games in Hawaii, he played 16, 7 and 16 minutes respectively, and went a combined 0-5 from the field, never attempted a FT, had 4 TOs and 2 assists.  Apparent physical tools aside, the writing appears on the wall here.

7. Moses Abraham, Sr.
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 15.2 MPG, 2.7 PPG, 58.3 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.2 APG, 5.5 RPG, 1.0 BPG, 0.0 SPG, 1.2 TOPG

Notes: He got hurt after our 7th game...his numbers didn't change much at all.  I believe he was destined to start Game #8 before breaking his hand...so we'll wait to see what that looks like when he returns.

8. Tarin Smith, Fr.
2014-2015 (thru 12G): 15.2 MPG, 3.9 PPG, 45.7 FG%, 33.3 3FG%, 0.8 APG, 1.0 RPG, 0.2 BPG, 0.5 SPG, 0.7 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 13.5 MPG, 3.8 PPG, 43.8 FG%, 66.7 3FG%, 1.3 APG, 1.2 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 0.5 SPG, 0.3 TOPG
Notes: In the same 3-game span Tai Webster played a combined 39 minutes, Smith played 66 minutes and averaged 6.0 PPG.  He is becoming our primary scorer off the bench (such as it is), and I feel like he is getting better and better.

9. Leslee Smith, Sr.
2014-2015: DNP (INJ)
2013-2014: 16.8 MPG, 5.4 PPG, 51.9 FG%, 0.0 3FG%, 0.4 APG, 4.8 RPG, 0.6 BPG, 0.9 SPG, 1.4 TOPG
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/nebraska/leslee-smith

Notes: Still waiting.  Come back, Leslee!

RDK

3. Benny Parker, Jr.

2014-2015 (thru 12G): 30.5 MPG, 6.8 PPG, 43.6 FG%, 47.1 3FG%, 2.2 APG, 2.2 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 1.9 SPG, 1.8 TOPG
2014-2015 (thru 6G): 28.5 MPG, 6.7 PPG, 35.7 FG%, 28.6 3FG%, 2.3 APG, 1.8 RPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.0 SPG, 1.7 TOPG

Notes: He continues to look for his spots to score, and he is playing heavy minutes.  He is a point guard playing 30 minutes a game and averaging less than 2 turnovers a contest...and he gets that back for you with steals.  He appears to be a pretty efficient player offensively.  The question remains if he is a legitimate Big Ten caliber starting PG.  I still think he is better as a change of pace guy off the bench.  This is a guy who played 15 minutes a game a year ago.

Benny Parker is taking 4-5 shots per game. Could he put up the same level of production with 7-8 shots per game?