Should Hammond of redshirted?

PimpMario

My opinion right now is he should have either redshirted.

He didn't play at all against UTM.

The only two reasons I can think of for not redshirting him are 1. Miles thought he could be a contributor and was wrong. 2. Miles didn't want to burn his redshirt year so he is more likely to transfer down the road.

Neither of those are correct, IMO.

The speed and the offense is there for Hammond...he has good shooting range and can run well for a big man.  He needs to fill out that frame with some size and strength, which could have been done faster as a redshirt.  Leslee tears his ACL and our center depth is now Walt (a four playing a 5) and Moses (injury filled career).  We're trying to make the tourney and win at least a game this year so Hammond didn't redshirt in case we need him this year.  

Miles historically has run a 7-8 man rotation.  Until Fuller and Hammond are in that rotation, meaningfully playing time for those two will be rare.

My opinion right now is he should have either redshirted.

He didn't play at all against UTM.

The only reasons I can think of for not redshirting him are 1. Miles thought he could be a contributor and was wrong. 2. Miles didn't want to burn his redshirt year so he is more likely to transfer down the road. 3. Miles wants to burn up his eligibility and free up the Scholls asap

Well, another reason could be that he thought we didn't have enough post depth to get through the season and he couldn't afford to redshirt him.    Pitch still not a true post, and is still shaky defending the interior.  Moses had a history of foul trouble, and while so far he has avoided the foul a minute syndrome, from what I have seen with his feet, he will still get in foul trouble against Big 10 level posts.  Finally, it's a long season.  A little too early to make a conclusion that the guy will never be any good, which is what the 3 scenarios above seem to do.

I think it makes sense from time to time to take a flier on a big man who shows a lot of promise but needs to grow, add muscle, or polish up something.  It's been said a lot that big men take longer to develop.  Giving a big an extra year to put on weight isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I would say, over the long haul, it would make less sense to redshirt a guard or a wing because they either have the skills or they don't and they will improve over the course of college, but a guard/wing who needs to redshirt it to develop is probably far enough behind that he's not going to catch up appreciably compared to just recruiting a different kid.

Now, in Hammonds' case, I think we had to blow his shirt just so that he's ready if you need him.  As of today, 5 games into the season, his shirt is blown.  And you won't feel sick to your stomach if you have to play him in January due to foul trouble of Walt and Moses or something.  Had they not played him early, it might have felt like a bigger issue if you brought him in later in the season.

I feel like we are making way to much about redshirting players.  Very rarely do players redshirt in basketball, no matter the school.  The only time guys do are transfers or guys that are the 4th or 5th option at that position but they see the promise for year 3 or 4 ie. Landen Lucas at Kansas.